• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Marty Hurney is one of the best recognizers of college talent in the nation. Period." A deeper dive

Ricky Spanish

Wait, did you not account for trade ups and traded picks? Hurney, while being assigned the reputation, didn't trade up often. Gettleman traded up so much the Panthers had the fewest picks in the draft. I think you need to account for Gettleman's trade ups as well as trade ups in the league. Under Hurney we had more picks than the league average actually, and it's from not getting too trade up crazy.

Lg Job Title W L T W-L% W plyf L plyf Playoff Result
  Total   14 Years 102 118 0   5 3  
  Carolina Panthers   1998-2019 102 118 0   5 3
1998 Carolina Panthers NFL Director of Player Operations 4 12 0 .250 0 0  
2002 Carolina Panthers NFL General Manager 7 9 0 .438 0 0  
2003 Carolina Panthers NFL General Manager 11 5 0 .688 3 1 Lost SB
2004 Carolina Panthers NFL General Manager 7 9 0 .438 0 0  
2005 Carolina Panthers NFL General Manager 11 5 0 .688 2 1 Lost Conf
2006 Carolina Panthers NFL General Manager 8 8 0 .500 0 0  
2007 Carolina Panthers NFL General Manager 7 9 0 .438 0 0  
2008 Carolina Panthers NFL General Manager 12 4 0 .750 0 1 Lost Div
2009 Carolina Panthers NFL General Manager 8 8 0 .500 0 0  
2010 Carolina Panthers NFL General Manager 2 14 0 .125 0 0  
2011 Carolina Panthers NFL General Manager 6 10 0 .375 0 0  
2012 Carolina Panthers NFL General Manager 7 9 0 .438 0 0  
2018 Carolina Panthers NFL General Manager 7 9 0 .438      
2019 Carolina Panthers NFL General Manager 5 7 0 .417      

Ball don't lie!

17 minutes ago, KillerBill said:

1 winning season out of his last nine.  People still think he is a winner.

The cold hard facts of the record with him as GM is very damning. No denying that 1 bit.

However if you sprinkle in some objectivity you can see why some think the coaching and JR meddling hurt him as well. I think it’s fair to say he’s constructed good rosters over his time here and the talent he assembled should have produced better results. Fact is they didn’t. But Tepper must see something in him to not give him the boot along with Rivera. 

So if you want to see what Tepper sees in him, you have to be willing to look at the total picture. How many games were losses could have been wins if it wasn’t for critical coaching errors? How would this season have played out if Cam was healthy for the whole year? 

John Fox and Rivera lost us an extreme amount of very winnable games. We’ve lost to more inferior rosters than we have won against superior rosters under Hurneys tenure. 

If I had the time I’d love to see how many games were lost by a TD or less with Hurney at the helm. A a lot of those games we surely can contribute bad coaching to the reason we lost those games vs lack of talent.

1 minute ago, panther4life said:

The cold hard facts of the record with him as GM is very damning. No denying that 1 bit.

However if you sprinkle in some objectivity you can see why some think the coaching and JR meddling hurt him as well. I think it’s fair to say he’s constructed good rosters over his time here and the talent he assembled should have produced better results. Fact is they didn’t. But Tepper must see something in him to not give him the boot Rivera. 

So if you want to see what Tepper sees in him, you have to be willing to look at the total picture. How many games were losses could have been wins if it wasn’t for critical coaching errors? How would this season have played out if Cam was healthy for the whole year? 

John Fox and Rivera lost us an extreme amount of very winnable games. We’ve lost to more inferior rosters than we have won against superior rosters under Hurneys tenure. 

If I had the time I’d love to see how many games were lost by a TD or less with Hurney at the helm. A a lot of those games we surely can contribute bad coaching to the reason we lost those games vs lack of talent.

It is probably going to be hard to isolate coaching issues from the GM issues, IMO. That is why I am generally a little skeptical of putting too much stock in the "GM W/L" records.

I think free agency, draft and contracts are more a success benchmark for a GM. That's my personal take.

Archived