• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New HC and future at QB

ncfan

New HC and QB going forward  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is the bigger draw for a new HC

• Cam (even with his uncertainty)
    • Kyle Allen/Grier

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

And it's really only feasible if the guy we have on our radar slips past the first 3-4 picks. Trading up any higher than that would be brutal. I'm just not a fan of swinging major trades up the draft board. You're just putting too many eggs in one basket at that point. 

I mean come on, when have we ever won a meaningless game and screwed up our draft posi...

Damn :fear:

IMHO.  Cam Newton will be the QB. You don’t throw away a 31 year old with a foot issue. It will heal. His shoulder will be 75% and still be better than over two thirds of the nfl

they will get a better backup.  Not that that would be hard 

in the 2021 draft they will find the future QB if Cam does not produce 

there is no other solution that makes sense    none   

butts in seats sells concessions, jerseys, gas, food, lodging.  

No way does Tepper throw away his biggest asset without being totally certain that asset is spent and no way does he want to look stupid seeing Cam perform well on another team as he team falters   Nope

That asset is Cam, not CMC, not Luke and it never has been. Some people come to see him because they hate him. Some because they love him. The point is they come to the stadium 

2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

He's not, but he still gives them atleast a glimmer of potential and hope.  Its easier to sell that to someone vs roll with nothing and hope to draft one the next year.

Even there though, you have to ask whether he's a system fit.

For a guy like Greg Roman, sure. For Josh McDaniels, not necessarily. For Kevin Stefanski, unknown. Etc etc...

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Cam's not a sure thing, though.

Even if he does come back, how certain is anybody that he's healthy enough to complete a full season?

It's not something I could see myself counting on if I were in their position.

What's your alternative?

Hope and pray you can land your guy in the draft? Will Grier? Kyle Allen (holding back laughter here)?

The nice thing about being a new GM and new HC is you probably have some leeway, especially with an owner who cut his teeth with the Steelers. That organization doesn't make knee-jerk decisions. If Cam doesn't hold up again, you're probably going to be getting good draft position next year.

What job will be available sitting in a better situation? Wanna take the Dallas job and be Jerry's puppet likely tied to Dak Prescott making $30M+ per season? Jacksonville? Oh yay, Foles is a cap anchor around our neck for at least two more seasons.

A former MVP QB with injury concerns but no long-term guaranteed money isn't a terrible situation for a new regime to inherit. I mean, the old regime got fired for a reason. Your chances of walking into a golden situation aren't great.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

For a guy like Greg Roman, sure. For Josh McDaniels, not necessarily. For Kevin Stefanski, unknown. Etc etc...

I've never bought this line of thinking. Decent coaches require system fits. Great coaches tailor their systems to fit their talent.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

What's your alternative?

Hope and pray you can land your guy in the draft? Will Grier? Kyle Allen (holding back laughter here)?

The nice thing about being a new GM and new HC is you probably have some leeway, especially with an owner who cut his teeth with the Steelers. That organization doesn't make knee-jerk decisions. If Cam doesn't hold up again, you're probably going to be getting good draft position next year.

What job will be available sitting in a better situation? Wanna take the Dallas job and be Jerry's puppet likely tied to Dak Prescott making $30M+ per season? Jacksonville? Oh yay, Foles is a cap anchor around our neck for at least two more seasons.

A former MVP QB with injury concerns but no long-term guaranteed money isn't a terrible situation for a new regime to inherit. I mean, the old regime got fired for a reason. Your chances of walking into a golden situation aren't great.

Best alternative is not to go into the next season like we did this one.

Hurney and Rivera either believed in or gambled on Cam Newton being healthy. It fit 'em pretty hard.

If you want to go into this season with Newton as your projected starter, you'd better make damn sure you've got alternatives just in case.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

like it or not, Cam can still fit in about any system.  He had success in the shirt quick pass system last year prior to injury in Norvs system.  He's had succes on longer drop back plays etc.  To be honest.  If Cam isnt a fit for the new guy, we will be drafting someone in the 1st anyways even if it means trading away future picks.

Again no good HC candidate is going to sign up for a job where Hurney presents them that the plan is to roll with Grier/Allen for a year then try for a QB down the road

Just now, ncfan said:

like it or not, Cam can still fit in about any system.  He had success in the shirt quick pass system last year prior to injury in Norvs system.  He's had succes on longer drop back plays etc.  To be honest.  If Cam isnt a fit for the new guy, we will be drafting someone in the 1st anyways even if it means trading away future picks.

Again no good HC candidate is going to sign up for a job where they are taking Grier and Allen for a year with a promise that they will try to draft one the following year.

Eeehh, I'm not sure I buy that.

If you're taking a head coaching job, you expect it to be a long-term thing. Can't necessarily say that a guy won't take a job just because there's not an immediate option available in a problem area.

Granted, a guy like McDaniels who feels like he's in a position to pick and choose might think that way, but other guys who are just looking for their first opportunity probably don't.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Hurney and Rivera either believed in or gambled on Cam Newton being healthy. It fit 'em pretty hard.

If you want to go into this season with Newton as your projected starter, you'd better make damn sure you've got alternatives just in case.

If we already had a established coach maybe.

But you're trying to hire a HC.  You pitch the candidate in the interview that they wont have Cam this next year And wont be able to draft one (even if it means a trade up)

They are to get up call their agent and walk out of there.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Where are you finding these alternatives? Maybe you get lucky and have your QB fall in your lap, but I think it's highly unlikely. Even if it looks like it's happening, a team like say the Colts could trade up a few spots to steal him right out from under your nose.

Any HC is going to gamble on a former MVP QB with a year of rest. Worst case is Cam isn’t who he used to be and they prepare to move on to someone else. It’s up to Cam on whether he wants to stay on a one year deal or not to prove himself. The extension situation will be resolved before the new coach is hired. The new HC and GM will want to know if Cam will come back or not. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Where are you finding these alternatives? Maybe you get lucky and have your QB fall in your lap, but I think it's highly unlikely. Even if it looks like it's happening, a team like say the Colts could trade up a few spots to steal him right out from under your nose.

I don't know that there is one.

I think it's a very real possibility that we don't fully solve our quarterback problem this coming offseason.

That'd suck, but would you rather reach for somebody with a first round pick?

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Eeehh, I'm not sure I buy that.

If you're taking a head coaching job, you expect it to be a long-term thing. Can't necessarily say that a guy won't take a job just because there's not an immediate option available in a problem area.

Granted, a guy like McDaniels who feels like he's in a position to pick and choose might think that way, but other guys who are just looking for their first opportunity probably don't.

The top "guys just looking for their first job" are going somewhere that has a Vet QB (yes even if its Dak as Jerrys puppet) or a team that just drafted one in NY or Washington.

Those top "guys going for their first job" are going to jobs where they can hit the ground running.  Vs a job where they pitch "possibly" getting a guy down the road.

Archived