• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should keep going with this 3-4 scheme or go back to the good ole 4-3??

WOW!!

Go back to the 4-3 or keep moving to a 3-4??  

11 members have voted

1. 1. 3-4 or 4-3

• Go back to the 4-3
    • Keep moving towards a 3-4

I don't know exactly what happened with the conversion to the 3-4.. Or what's going happened with a new coaching staff..

The pieces on paper look solid and the pass rush did improve... But we couldn't stop the run at all and had our lowest rankings as a defense under Rivera since his 1st season..

Could be the normal down fall of a scheme change that happens.. Or we really don't have the pieces to play this defense.   Or our coaches suck in teaching the scheme..  Reality it didn't work..

With new coaching comes new scheme usually.. So is it better we go back to a 4-3 and get a 4-3 coaching staff or keep moving to a 3-4.. Tepper being a Steeler guy might have input on this...

I’m split on it. I’d say find a great defensive coordinator and go with whatever he wants. Our roster has guys that fit each side, but very few that fit both, so either way there should be a fair amount of changes on D this offseason. I prefer 4-3 but guys like Burns, Mario fit 3-4 better...

Transitioning was never going to be a 1 year transition. However, we drafted the pieces to build off of. Wade Phillips once said it’s cheaper to bring in 3-4 pieces than find 4-3 lineman. Bring in a savy 3-4 Defensive coordinator and build through draft. Spread concepts are only becoming more common in the NFL..I feel the 3-4 is better suited for today’s NFL. IMO

We don't know for sure that Tepper dictated or didn't the change. I would say what Ron just did in Washington suggests it's possible but there is no way to know for sure. For the sake of discussion, I think the prudent thing to do is assume the new coaching staff will have the freedom to choose their system or this whole discussion is moot anyway. 

Having said that, I'm inclined to say switch back to 4-3 for the following reasons:

Luke seems less effective in the 3-4

We are undergoing a major rebuild on defense so concerns about present personnel in terms of our d line matter less. Other than Burns, can we really say there is anyone on the defense who matters for which 3-4 is the much better fit?

Since most players play college ball in a 4-3 and most NFL teams run a 4-3, and we have a major need to rebuild talent on on the d line, it stands to reason there is a greater availability of player suirted to a 4-3 than a 3-4, whether through the draft or FA. 

1 minute ago, pdub0702 said:

Transitioning was never going to be a 1 year transition. However, we drafted the pieces to build off of. Wade Phillips once said it’s cheaper to bring in 3-4 pieces than find 4-3 lineman. Bring in a savy 3-4 Defensive coordinator and build through draft. Spread concepts are only becoming more common in the NFL..I feel the 3-4 is better suited for today’s NFL. IMO

interesting points.

Archived