• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wasnt the last untappd beer festival a disaster?

cookinwithgas

10 minutes ago, cookinwithgas said:

My stepson is currently deciding between UNCC and ASU. I am really rooting for ASU as I love going up there for football and cabin rental, but I think he's going to pick UNCC.

If he’s not planning to study engineeering or architecture he’s making a mistake. I don’t even like skiing or winter sports in general but I loved going to school there. UNCC when I was considering it was the campus that shut down at 5 and everybody went home. It couldn’t come close to matching Boone’s college town atmosphere.

2 hours ago, Wes21 said:

I remember going out to dinner with one of the executives of NOLA Brewing.  In conversation we started talking about things he never thought about until he was actually in the business of making beer on a large scale.  He said "I never knew I needed to be a commodity futures trader."  Then he talked about the need to "declare your hops position" in advance to be competitive in the marketplace.  He said that was the biggest advantage that huge macro beers have because they can obtain mass quantities of hops with discounts and have some certainty on what their sales numbers are going to be.  With a "newer" brewery that's trying to get its footing, your sales could be unpredictable.  I won't go into more detail than that, but he did.  It was a really interesting conversation, but it showed why the biggest breweries that mass produce have such an advantage, and it extends beyond cash flow and efficiency.

Yeah, her boss' eyes got big when he saw that little keg of GITM (it was a pony keg).  He ended up standing in line again while I went off to do something else.  It really was one of the best beers I've had, but I wasn't willing to wait another X minutes to get a few more ounces of it when I can just go get another IPA instantly from my wife's vendor tents (and pour more than just a few ounces).

Florida and some place like Asheville are going to be completely different vibes.  What else would you like for them to do?  Sit on the couch and watch CSI?  I mean, you have to spend your time doing SOMETHING, right?

People really don't understand how drastically the craft beer explosion had an impact on the hop market. Nor do they think about how macro brewers can literally obtain monopolies on some of the markets by securing them. 

Some of the business side of the beer world can get crazy. 

Archived