• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big News 3.0... Joey Slye Extended

ncfan

Just now, TN05 said:

Why are you being defensive of Joey Slye, of all people? Are you his cousin or something?

I honestly don't care who the kicker is, I'm more concerned about who is the next QB after Cam. You are far too emotionally attached to Graham Gano to have a reality based understanding of this conversation I'm afraid.

28 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I honestly don't care who the kicker is, I'm more concerned about who is the next QB after Cam. You are far too emotionally attached to Graham Gano to have a reality based understanding of this conversation I'm afraid.

If you don’t care who the next kicker is, there’s no reason to defend Slye. He sucks.

People are way too hard on Slye. He had a shaky 2 game stretch in October where he went 3 of 7, plus he choked on the Saints kick. Outside of that he was very impressive, particularly from 50+. More importantly, he seemed to get better at the end of the year. For the month of December over his last 5 games, he didn't miss a single kick, going 9/9 on XPs and 6/6 on FGs, including 2/2 from 50+. I'm hoping that's a better reflection of where he's headed than what he did 2 months earlier. And we're paying him the cheapest salary in the NFL with zero guarantees. What's the problem?

Also just gonna throw out a crazy theory. Notice that Slye's worst 2 week stretch came right before our bye, whereas he was tons better both before and after? What if he was dealing with a nagging injury he got after week 4, like a hamstring strain, but since he's super expendable as a non-guaranteed rookie, tried to play through it rather than risk mentioning it and the team replacing him for the year with a healthy kicker. Instead he powers through the pain, takes the bye to heal and comes back better. Probably just had the yips but it's entirely plausible.

Archived