• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How many GM's draft better than Hurney?

panther4life

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's not what he's talking about so you have to ignore that.

Gotcha, another capt slay special.

I love the "adam shefter is the best and he has never said cam was going to get traded"

::links article showing Adam S speculating cam is going to get traded::

"but but but thats from 3 months ago it doesnt count"

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

"Matt Paradis had a good command of the line calls last year."

"But he gave up numerous pressures and sacks."

"Yes, but that's not what I'm talking about so let's ignore that."

Solid strategy...

I honestly don’t see how it’s so hard for some of you to post a reply that has zero to do with the op.....like it’s in the title and opening statement, yet I knew someone wouldn’t read and bring up other factors, which can be debated, but that’s not the what the thread subject was about

The only problem with Hurney is that he's in the wrong role.  If you move him to Director of College Scouting you'd probably have a great employee.

To me, this is no different than those guys who are stellar coordinators but terrible head coaches.  It's not that they are bad at what they do, they simply get out of their depth.  I think Hurney's correct depth is Director of College Scouting.

9 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

What does that have to do with the question in the title? I’m really curious how that ties In to drafting 

nvm I forgot you can’t read

Wrong, actually.

See, NFL front offices don't just have GM jobs. They have jobs like Director of Player Personnel, Director of College Scouting, hell even jobs like National Scout or Area Scout. Sometimes guys are even asked to be consultants.

So if we are to believe that Marty Hurney is indeed a "top 10 drafter" as the OP suggests, then the question of why no other team was even willing to offer him a low level scout job or ask him to serve as a consultant like the Saints did with Jeff Ireland or the Seahawks are doing with Elliot Wolf is absolutely a valid one.

Given how important the draft is, wouldn't the services of a true "top 10 drafter" be in high demand around the league? Sure they would.

So why did nobody want him?

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

The only problem with Hurney is that he's in the wrong role.  If you move him to Director of College Scouting you'd probably have a great employee.

To me, this is no different than those guys who are stellar coordinators but terrible head coaches.  It's not that they are bad at what they do, they simply get out of their depth.  I think Hurney's correct depth is Director of College Scouting.

See above though.

For four years, any team in the league could have had him in one of those roles. Yet nobody even inquired about him as a scout or a consultant.

That's telling.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Wrong, actually.

See, NFL front offices don't just have GM jobs. They have jobs like Director of Player Personnel, Director of College Scouting, hell even jobs like National Scout or Area Scout. Sometimes guys are even asked to be consultants.

So if we are to believe that Marty Hurney is indeed a "top 10 drafter" as the OP suggests, then the question of why no other team was even willing to offer him a low level scout job or ask him to serve as a consultant like the Saints did with Jeff Ireland or the Seahawks are doing with Elliot Wolf is absolutely a valid one.

Given how important the draft is, wouldn't the services of a true "top 10 drafter" be in high demand around the league? Sure they would.

So why did nobody want him?

So because no one “called” hurney is the reason he can’t be regarded as top 10 in drafting as a gm? Not the actual line of work or picks that were made ? What kind of spin job is this? I’m certainly sure his draft record wasn’t the ONLY reason he wasn’t called, might have something to do with his mishandling of the cap and contract extension, but again different from the subject at hand 

Just now, Cpt slay a ho said:

So because no one “called” hurney is the reason he can’t be regarded as top 10 in drafting as a gm? Not the actual line of work or picks that were made ? What kind of spin job is this? I’m certainly sure his draft record wasn’t the ONLY reason he wasn’t called, might have something to do with his mishandling of the cap and contract extension, but again different from the subject at hand 

You think teams didn't offer him a job as a scout or a scouting consultant because they didn't think he was a good salary cap manager?

Sure, let's go with that.

2 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Why was Hurney unemployed for 4 years?

Just now, Cpt slay a ho said:

How did he get a job after being unemployed for 4 years? 

When Richardson fired DG on a whim right before the season started he didnt have any other options at the time for GM's.  Marty was still local and knew how to guide the team into the season.  It was interim at first then Richardson made it full time because Marty didnt push back and was a yes man.

your turn

Archived