• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How many GM's draft better than Hurney?

panther4life

24 minutes ago, panther4life said:

I'd say he's top 10 for sure. Can you list 10 GM's with a proven track record of drafting better?

I'll give you one,  John Schneider (Seahawks), now who can name 9 more?

I’m just curious...why do you think the Panthers have been the only team interested in Hurney and why do you believe he was jobless for 4 seasons when he was fired?

You're going to need a better standard than just "hey, I liked this draft pick so therefore he must be a good GM".

For one, GMs who actually are good in the draft don't consistently find themselves back in the top half of the first round because the team they built the year before was sh-t.

6 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I did this already a few months back:

TL;DR

Hurney since 2009 is the GOAT 1st round drafter by a long shot but one of the worst drafters in all other rounds, and bottom half of the league overall. His failures in rounds 2-7 bring his overall success down so low he is bottom of the league.   

Good stuff. Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I did this already a few months back:

TL;DR

Hurney since 2009 is the GOAT 1st round drafter by a long shot but one of the worst drafters in all other rounds, and bottom half of the league overall. His failures in rounds 2-7 bring his overall success down so low he is bottom of the league.   

Gettlemans picks in 2014,2016 1st round were bus. 2015 we were clearly desperate and spent 3 picks on db, but drafted a DT from buffalo in the 1st round. Hurney's issue isn't identifying talent, it's identifying strength and weakness. Gettlemans was obsessed with lineman.

16 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Hurney since 2009 is the GOAT 1st round drafter by a long shot but one of the worst drafters in all other rounds, and bottom half of the league overall. 

Breaking that down...

2009 - No first rounder (first pick, Everette Brown)

2010 - No first rounder (first pick, Jimmy Clausen)

2011 - #1 pick, Cam Newton

2012 - #9 pick, Luke Kuechly

2028 - #24 pick, DJ Moore

2019 - #16 pick, Brian Burns

So the only year we weren't in the top half of the first came after a season where Marty wasn't the GM.

I'd add if you have the need to induce vomiting, take a look back at those drafts after the first round.

Top ten? Hurney's an ideal GM to have if you want to try and pick in the top ten. But top ten in overall quality though? Yikes!

54 minutes ago, panther4life said:

I'll give you one,  John Schneider (Seahawks), now who can name 9 more?

Fun fact. Schneider has been terrible in the 1st round. However, his (and Carrol’s) ability to find multiple diamonds in later rounds make up for it. 

Archived