• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ego and how the team screwed up the Cam situation

AU-panther

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

What we're actually talking about is the reality of the salary cap, plus the reality of Newton's health and how teams are looking at it.

The Bears, a team which was reported to have interest in Cam previously, chose to go with Nick Foles.

That should tell you a lot about how teams view Newton right now.

I disagree. I dont believe Chicago has given up on Trubisky as their starter. Trading for Cam instantly says "We are moving on from Trubisky." They traded for Nick fuging Foles, a career back up to present the Illusion of a Qb competition. They didnt trade for Foles to be the day 1 starter. They know Trubisky can beat out Foles. Trubisky wouldn't beat out Cam.

18 hours ago, AU-panther said:

Here is what should have happened:

First of all with Cam, I would have made it very well known that I wanted him to play out the last year of his contract.  I'll happily spend $19m for one year, to see if my former MVP QB can return to form.  Worst case he plays average and you let him walk next year and get a 3rd comp pick for him, which is looking to be more than we are going to get this year.  If he plays better than average tag him and trade him for even better picks.  If he plays great, then congratulations you have your franchise QB.

If Cam pitches a fit and decides he won't play on a one year deal then that is on him and he looks like the bad guy to a lot of the fan base.  Through all of this you discreetly listen to trade offers and/or let Cam's people look for trades.

In the meantime you get rid of any players on the roster you think aren't living up to their contract.  Turner and Poe apparently

You don't overpay to resign your own guys.  Bradberry

I don’t understand your post. The first paragraph...it’s painfully obvious cam wasn’t playing on a 1 year deal and thought he could get an extension somewhere else.

And the bold is exactly what happened...

Problem is fanboys are butthurt and what to see it happening some other way. But it didn’t, sorry.

Get over it and move on players and their fanboys come and go but the team is moving on to better things. Averaging 7 wins a season for 4 years since the super bowl demands change. Fanboys won’t care obviously, but whether we are going in the right direction is yet or not, (which will take time to see) I’m happy the FO isn’t happy with the status quo and isn’t afraid to make tough decisions.

We had a FO that was business first, family atmosphere, paid players for their pasts, and absolutely won’t make the tough decisions that need to be made. We’ve already been down that road and have seen the mediocrity it breeds. It’s absolutely dumbfounding fans were ok with that and want more of it. No thanks. It’s football, win, that’s all that matters.

Furthermore these fans loved and ate up every bit of it for the past 25 years but won’t even give the time for due process to change it. We need to be patient and give it a couple years to play out.

Tepper was patient, he gave it a couple years after taking over and observed everything before we got to this point. These aren’t rash decisions despite what fanboys think or what it may look like with these shot term, recent decisions. You can’t change a process and culture in the NFL in one season. Tepper has said this time and time again yet fans don’t seem to understand how organizations are built.

As I said Cam is just a player. Luke is just a player. The team needs to evolve and we are trying, we’re not like the last FO and staying with a system that doesn’t work. Now that was ego.

3 hours ago, Snake said:

Let's not forget too that Cam demanded a new deal as well. Looking at the situation Rhule and Brady had the chance to bring in a guy who understands the offense way more than Cam and is also healthy. Cam just over played his value and now he has to figure it out. Now all the Cam huggers are sad and will wish Bridgewater to do horrible just like they did Allen last year. 

While i'm new to the Panthers i'm a big Cam Newton fan.  But this major injuries the past 2 years and only having 1 year left make it valid to re-assess him.  I'm not sure I keep him or drop him but I respect the decision that was made to move on, even if i don't like how its been handled.  Cam vs. Teddy isn't an apples to apples comparison.  They are completely different QB's with completely different strengths and weaknesses in completely different stages of their careers.  But if you're going to bring in a FA, Teddy Bridgewater is the only choice.  Particularly with CV locking things down and postponing a lot of NFL activity,  bringing in Teddy who is on year 3 of this offense is a huge edge.  And when OTAs and training camp do happen, Teddy will be able to help teach this offense to the rest of the players.

6 hours ago, AU-panther said:

Once we signed TB we lost leverage, every team in the league knows we aren't going to keep both.

My main points was, everyone knew we were bad, and most likely going to be bad next year.  Everyone knows we should be rebuilding at least for this season.  Once TB agreed to come here people start to think we can win now, so the rebuild gets thrown out of the window. 

Next thing you know we'll be trading up in the draft thinking we are one player away.

I don't really care about going 9-7 next year, my goal would be to build a team that can compete for the ultimate prize every year.

I agree the Panthers didn't handle Cam's exit well.  and while signing Teddy killed Cam's trade value, once a team makes a decision they truly want to be rid of someone, anything they can get after that is gravy.  and if Cam ends up being a release deal, I don't think the Panthers mgmt cares.

I do think u can rebuild and win at the same time.  I don't know about this o-line, but all the other components of the offense directed by Teddy could be pretty awesome and we didn't even do the draft yet.  Teddy had great utilization of Alvin Kamara who's basically a lesser version of McCaffrey and Teddy has experience working behind a suspect o-line, from his 2 years in Minnesota.  While Teddy hasn't run much since the knee injury, he is still quite elusive in the pocket.   

Defense is probably a next year thing though lol.

6 hours ago, rippadonn said:

YOU Scot an others are assuming based on your emotions. I'm talking about "winning" being a "winner" in OUR division. Don't be silly. That's what's at stake IF he goes there FORGET ABOUT WINNING FOR 8-10 YEARS because he then HATES YOU.

We've seen it. The NFL will LOVE it. At YOUR expense as long as HIS body holds up.

Lol

i was pro keeping cam, i never bought the narrative that he was bad in the pocket (and still don't, he had the worst oline in football or a bottom 3 one for multiple seasons and had to throw long developing routes from behind it thanks to shula, with horrible wrs to boot).  i still think that we should've kept cam and let him play out the contract, but me and you both know there is no way in hell's ass he can keep going for 10 years. his body can't hold up if he takes a beating like he did in his tenure here for any amount time. it's over bro, it sucks and i don't like where this team is going, but all you can really do is hold your breath and see what comes of it.

Archived