• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I thought by now technology would be further along...

sml1950

On 4/6/2020 at 11:57 AM, Anybodyhome said:

...when the worst that could happen to you in the Phillippines was a case of the clap, and a shot of penicillin would take care of that.

...when your choices were ABC, CBS and NBC and maybe PBS.

...when AM radio was the only option

...drive-in theaters

fuggi n a

On 4/3/2020 at 11:13 AM, onmyown said:

Riding on a plane? Why’re you...a millionaire??

Agree with all except that one. Pre 9-11 was cheap and USAir would put out weekly deals to get rid of tickets. Even international could be silly cheap. $299 to London and such.

There were so many more routes and now airlines want to fill each plane to the brim and charge you for peanuts.

On 4/2/2020 at 2:10 PM, sml1950 said:

...than it seems to be.   By 2020 I expected that hologram technology would have made it into the public marketplace.  I thought bars would have “arenas”  where 1/2 size holograms would play the games in everyone’s hometown.  In this new era of social distancing, what do we have...zoom.  The time has come to travel by electricity and appear wherever we want to go without the worry of contagions.  I’m getting old, somebody out there make this happen.  Come on geeks , the world is wanting, needing and ready to pay for it.  

I think they have this technology. Could happen through VR. As soon as the demand is there and it is profitable it will be a thing.

I'd much rather do a zoom meeting than some sort of VR or hologram.

Hologram bar games seems to have more appeal.

1 hour ago, Happy Panther said:

Agree with all except that one. Pre 9-11 was cheap and USAir would put out weekly deals to get rid of tickets. Even international could be silly cheap. $299 to London and such.

There were so many more routes and now airlines want to fill each plane to the brim and charge you for peanuts.

In 1992 I rode a plane (two way ticket) from Dallas to LA area and it cost almost $400, economy. Inflation says that’s almost $800.00 today. Also gas was...69 cents, maybe 79 cents a gallon. So I’m also talking relative to just driving. Granted cars didn’t get as good as gas mileage but in terms of travel altogether, planes were more expensive. I just remember most people drove vs. flying pretty much anywhere you go.

Taking as short of flight as I did, when it would’ve cost loyally pennies to go by car, was u heard of was my point. I’m talking general travel not international or luxury which I have no experience in.

Point being, I just drove from the Midwest to NC and gas alone cost me $300 plus food and one night stay it was easily $500+, no luxuries, and that’s one way.

before corona virus, I can get a two way ticket for $250. If I didn’t have to haul poo, planes are a financially better option. Not in the 90s.

11 minutes ago, onmyown said:

In 1992 I rode a plane (two way ticket) from Dallas to LA area and it cost almost $400, economy. Inflation says that’s almost $800.00 today. Also gas was...69 cents, maybe 79 cents a gallon. So I’m also talking relative to just driving. Granted cars didn’t get as good as gas mileage but in terms of travel altogether, planes were more expensive. I just remember most people drove vs. flying pretty much anywhere you go.

Taking as short of flight as I did, when it would’ve cost loyally pennies to go by car, was u heard of was my point. I’m talking general travel not international or luxury which I have no experience in.

air12.jpg

Yeah you are right I am wrong. I swear I recall price wars in the 90s.

Archived