• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we should consider OT, or atleast pretend to

AU-panther

2 minutes ago, cmichd said:

If they drafted Brown so be it.  Hell they drafted Burns last year and I was mad as hell they did instead of taking an OT, an it bit them in the butt.  Burns as graded out at B+ for his Rookie year even being injured.  You don't get 4 quality OT's like this every year.  This is the year we don't go Defense with our first pick.  We don't need glamor...we need a nasty OT that will anchor our line for the next 5 to 10 years.

I am not sure why people are not understanding this concept especially with a new qb on board and potentially another one in 2021.  Build the oline for once.   Its the most consistent thing on all playoff squads

I wasn't high on LT last year, not because of need but because of the options. I would be thrilled to see this kind of talent at OT that this year's draft presents. Take what the draft gives you and this year there look like there are a couple of OTs and Centers that would be a hell of an addition. I wouldn't even mind a trade back and getting an extra pick and a less talented OT.

Wills looks like a damn professional player. Him and Brown have that in common. He can start somewhere. He would be an instant upgrade at LG and I would be thrilled to see him at LT. 

I wonder if not having private workouts will affect how teams view his switch to being a right handed QB's blind side protection?

9 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I wasn't high on LT last year, not because of need but because of the options. I would be thrilled to see this kind of talent at OT that this year's draft presents. Take what the draft gives you and this year there look like there are a couple of OTs and Centers that would be a hell of an addition. I wouldn't even mind a trade back and getting an extra pick and a less talented OT.

Wills looks like a damn professional player. Him and Brown have that in common. He can start somewhere. He would be an instant upgrade at LG and I would be thrilled to see him at LT. 

I wonder if not having private workouts will affect how teams view his switch to being a right handed QB's blind side protection?

Wills is being asked by teams if can can play the left side.  He believes he can, but it will be a transition period.  So the question is: do you leave Wills on the right side where he's a day 1 starter or do you throw him over to left side which is completely alien to him and he has to reverse his mechanics?  Literally, he will have to transition from technique that is natural to him, to doing something where he's going to have think about his mechanics.   Maybe he can do it smoothly in a relatively short amount of time, but if not, you are are setting a really good prospect up for failure.

10 minutes ago, Waldo said:

If I was Carolina I would use the first two picks on a Tackle and a Center.  I am not sure Paradis will be able to do the job.  I do understand that not all bodies heal as others after a major operation.  Took me a year and a half to get over my Bypass surgery.  I will give him one more year to see if he gets back to his Denver shape.

7 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Wills is being asked by teams if can can play the left side.  He believes he can, but it will be a transition period.  So the question is: do you leave Wills on the right side where he's a day 1 starter or do you throw him over to left side which is completely alien to him and he has to reverse his mechanics?  Literally, he will have to transition from technique that is natural to him, to doing something where he's going to have think about his mechanics.   Maybe he can do it smoothly in a relatively short amount of time, but if not, you are are setting a really good prospect up for failure.

Why Thomas would be the best pick for us.  He has been a 3 year starter on the Left Side at Georgia and played against some of the best talent in the SEC.  Seems the Jets want Becton.  

55 minutes ago, cmichd said:

Why Thomas would be the best pick for us.  He has been a 3 year starter on the Left Side at Georgia and played against some of the best talent in the SEC.  Seems the Jets want Becton.  

Thomas is absolute custom made for our situation.  He may not have the highest upside but he is as safe as they come.  10 year starter easy

59 minutes ago, cmichd said:

If I was Carolina I would use the first two picks on a Tackle and a Center.  I am not sure Paradis will be able to do the job.  I do understand that not all bodies heal as others after a major operation.  Took me a year and a half to get over my Bypass surgery.  I will give him one more year to see if he gets back to his Denver shape.

Paradis was so bad last year I can't do more than hope he does better and hope we have a solid plan B. Larson is like a plan D. 

58 minutes ago, cmichd said:

Really? Thomas is widely regarded as the least attractive of the four OT prospects.  Many BBs have Becton rated higher for LT.  You are reaching for need and not taking BPA.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Sounds like he should get a shot at LG and then kickout to LT if he transitions well. LT over RT all day and it's not close. If he is only a RT then a team would have to have a lefty QB or I'm not sure his value would be greater than some of the lesser prospects that can play LT. That's the only thing I don't like about him, switching from the RT position. He is a great blindside protector that has been on the wrong side. Otherwise he is a great prospect. 

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Really? Thomas is widely regarded as the least attractive of the four OT prospects.  Many BBs have Becton rated higher for LT.  You are reaching for need and not taking BPA.

Becton has motivation issues.  That scares bejesus out of me.  Thomas is as solid and safe as they come.  Dont get cute with this pick.

Just now, 45catfan said:

Just a question, is ignoring BPA at #7 not a bad mistake?  

Not in this case.  Its what we have been doing for years and that is why we are in the situation we are with the offensive line.  We simply have never addressed it this early.  Its time to.  "reaching" a pick or two for Thomas (or another lineman) is okay IMO.   This scattershot approach from Hurney has got to go.  Build the time line to protect the qb and run the ball.

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Not in this case.  Its what we have been doing for years and that is why we are in the situation we are with the offensive line.  We simply have never addressed it this early.  Its time to.  "reaching" a pick or two for Thomas (or another lineman) is okay IMO.   This scattershot approach from Hurney has got to go.  Build the time line to protect the qb and run the ball.

I'm in no way a Hurney apologist, but his first round philosophy of BPA is one of the few things he's done right.  If the Panthers board says these's a better player at #7, then I don't think they reach for Thomas.

Archived