• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we should consider OT, or atleast pretend to

AU-panther

I've been hoping for Simmons or Okuda but the idea of an OT is growing on me and this is why.

Almost every year during the season we (the fans) complain about the quality of OL play. 

Then every draft season we start to talk ourselves out of spending a first round pick on an OT.  I think a big reason for this is they never seem to be the "value" pick.  OTs tend to be over drafted so you almost have to reach for one, goes against the whole idea of BPA.

This year seems different.  There are 4 OTs that could easily go in the 15, with a good chance of 3 of them in the top 10 maybe.  There is a chance we could pick the 1st or 2nd OT off the board.  

Maybe OT isn't our biggest need, but how often do you get to pick a 1st round OT without reaching.

Our current QB has some injury history, also if we do draft a young QB this year or next, what would help them more then a quality OT?  DTs tend to be under drafted, easier to find value later, or next year.  There are some good CBs in that second round range this year.  Long term this might be our best chance of finding a great OT.

It just seems to be a really strong OT class, might should take advantage of it.

Also if we aren't interested in an OT, we should at least be acting like we are.  It might be our best chance of receiving a trade down offer.  

Teams needing a QB are probably going to be looking to trade up ahead of the Charges, so that really doesn't help us.  But I could see someone wanting to trade up before the Cards or Browns for an OT.

Maybe we are interested, and that is why we aren't acting like we are.  

I'll give you 5 reasons.

1. Okung is on the wrong side of 30. He's also on the final year of his contract and is coming off of an injury plagued season.

2. Moton is also on the final year of his contract. Despite being young and having some solid play on his resume, it seems the new staff isn't sold on him since I haven't heard even the faintest of whispers of a possible contract extension.

3. Little looked terrible at LT last year and he had multiple concussions as a rookie and there's been rumors he'll move inside to OG this coming season.

4. Daley also looked terrible at LT last year and it was widely speculated he was primarily drafted to play OG.

5. There's no other OT currently on the roster worth mentioning.

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'll give you 5 reasons.

1. Okung is on the wrong side of 30. He's also on the final year of his contract and is coming off of an injury plagued season.

2. Moton is also on the final year of his contract. Despite being young and having some solid play on his resume, it seems the new staff isn't sold on him since I haven't heard even the faintest of whispers of a possible contract extension.

3. Little looked terrible at LT last year and he had multiple concussions as a rookie and there's been rumors he'll move inside to OG this coming season.

4. Daley also looked terrible at LT last year and it was widely speculated he was primarily drafted to play OG.

5. There's no other OT currently on the roster worth mentioning.

No other OT worth mentioning? more like no one on the entire offensive line worth mentioning.

I agree with the idea of seeming interested in OT in order to get other teams to trade up to 7. Same goes for WR too..... a team like the Raiders or Jets might want to be the team that gets "their guy" if we play the game a little better. 

Instead, we've had Brown as our guy since the draft slots were cemented.... and not much has changed since. Remember how Lynch played the Bears a few years back?

Always seems like we are playing checkers, while other teams are playing chess. 

36 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

Really??? Come on man.....

Panthers.thumb.jpg.a83793d4950c518707ce5338bfe5f419.jpg

Oline looks just as awful. It’s a new era with Brady coaching. His more modern system does not rely on the defense. The draft is deep at DT, you won’t find a any OT worth a crap after the first 20 picks.

10 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Seriously, he is the best OT to come out of college since the Browns nabbed Thomas. 

For real?  I like Wills, but that is throwing some serious praise that kid's way.  I've seen where folks doubt he can slide to the left side if asked to.  If that's correct and he's a RT...even an All-Pro caliber RT, he isn't in Joe Thomas' realm.

Archived