• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My opinion of what we do with our rookies.

Matt62881

One thing im started to notice that the athletic guys who are supreme tacklers/hard hitters are at risk of having short careers or nagging injuries.

Kuechly, kam chancellor, Patrick willis

I really don't want that for chinn, hope ends being more of a cover guy than a head hunter. 

5 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

If he can play the slot in a zone scheme I don't see why he couldn't play outside especially if he does have some experience at corner. Another poster mentioned him vs Julio but who honestly has a better athletic skill set to match Julio? Chinn had a 41 inch vert along with elite size and speed. 

No doubt, think of Richard Sherman except way more athletic. Legion of boom was based having big athletic corners outside. I think He can be a great dynamic SS on the flipside but the league has shown that playing that role can often come with a price. Look at kam chancellor.

8 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

No doubt, think of Richard Sherman except way more athletic. Legion of boom was based having big athletic corners outside. I think He can be a great dynamic SS on the flipside but the league has shown that playing that role can often come with a price. Look at kam chancellor.

Yea I just don't see a reason he Can't do it like some here believe, we drafted others who seem to be a good fit at safety. To me a guy that can cover the #1 receiving threat is the most important dB, I just think he's the only one with the talent to do it and man if he could do it! We are going to miss Bradberry if we don't do something and from what I've read Chinn actually has experience playing cover corner and man with success. 

2 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

Yea I just don't see a reason he Can't do it like some here believe, we drafted others who seem to be a good fit at safety. To me a guy that can cover the #1 receiving threat is the most important dB, I just think he's the only one with the talent to do it and man if he could do it! We are going to miss Bradberry if we don't do something and from what I've read Chinn actually has experience playing cover corner and man with success. 

Agreed, no reason....remember leading up to the draft a lot of people were saying Jalen Ramsey should move to safety do to his size and athleticism but his cover skills were so dominant that he remained at corner and its turned out to be the best decisionq. Byron jones came in as a safety but ended up moving to corner for the cowboys because they were thin and look how that turned out. I think chinn fits the mold no doubt but im gonna lay off it cuz its a long shot and im starting to get my hopes up just to be disappointed lol. Its fun to think about. 

2 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Agreed, no reason....remember leading up to the draft a lot of people were saying Jalen Ramsey should move to safety do to his size and athleticism but his cover skills were so dominant that he remained at corner and its turned out to be the best decisionq. Byron jones came in as a safety but ended up moving to corner for the cowboys because they were thin and look how that turned out. I think chinn fits the mold no doubt but im gonna lay off it cuz its a long shot and im starting to get my hopes up just to be disappointed lol. Its fun to think about. 

Exactly no harm in a little speculation lol! I just don't see us taking the amount of high upside players and not using them this year especially. With pride I like the kid but if you've done some homework he has issues that scare me more then Chinn 1vs1 against Julio, not athleticism but bad tendencies, where Chinn doesn't seem to have these negatives. In the slot it just so happens Pride would have alot of help to cover up the said bad tendencies. Pride has athletically no problem staying with his guy and handing him off but apparently he gets dirty eyes toward the qb wich in zone the nickel doesn't have the huge responsibility an outside corner does in general the hand offs are tighter or if a mistake is made there is somebody to clean it up for a smaller gain... On the outside it could be a deep drop and being burned on a double move or comeback will HURT. What these guys don't understand is the difference in playing safety or nickel and outside corner isn't this huge gap.... Sometimes it comes down to speed and acelleration in the back pedal considering outside corners end up in an almost safety spot anyway... Chinn has all the athleticism needed unlike most guys at 225...what is too big to play corner? Lol Should Calvin have been a TE because he was too big? 

On 4/29/2020 at 8:59 PM, Matt62881 said:

I think this was one hell of a draft and will produce the most rookies starting ever, I know we had alot of holes but I think this will be a good thing on this occasion. 

Derrick Brown- obviously Nose tackle on most downs but in a 3rd and long situation I could see him playing 5 tech to get our best pass rushers on the field. 

Matos- Man this kid was a steal, his speed and length are exceptional, I watched him run down countless running backs and running qbs on film, obviously DE. 

Chinn- I think this kid is our new #1 cb sticking with the best wr wherever they may go. 

Pride- I think he will be the slot cb and because I think we use the nickel as our base he sees the field alot. Being in the slot covers up the issues he does have. 

Kenny Robinson--I think he is a automatic upgrade at safety from last year and believe he along with Tre can play both SS and FS. So I think he is fielded as our 2nd safety. 

Bravion Roy- I was looking for a guy just like this but I thought it was gonna be Leki Fotu. I actually think we got a better player in Roy. I see him as a rotational player like Love but playing mostly running downs. Him and Brown side by side should fix our run situation without the need of a safety in the box. 

Thomas Oliver- In the first year I think he is at best a dime CB, he could possibly beat out Corn for the spot. At worst he's depth! But thats all 7 picks making the roster 5 starting and 6 getting decent play time. 

If it works out like this and these guys play well and improve as the year goes along, I think you have to give Hurney at least another year. Maybe you bring in a guy for the money side of things but this would be one of the best drafts in panthers history if it works out like I think and possibly makes us competitive this year. What do you guys think? 

Good lord dude

1 hour ago, WOW!! said:

You don't put Honey badger or Derwin James at CB1 .. Chinn is that type of player.. He is a versatile SS/big nickle/dime LB.  He will start over Burris ..

Its just speculation and I wouldn't be doing it if we had a CB1, we have 3 starting caliber safetys imo... Best players on the field will always be the way I see it, he's the only 1 of the 3 that could play cb. Now if we resign Ross wich I hope, problem solved. 

1 hour ago, Matt62881 said:

Its just speculation and I wouldn't be doing it if we had a CB1, we have 3 starting caliber safetys imo... Best players on the field will always be the way I see it, he's the only 1 of the 3 that could play cb. Now if we resign Ross wich I hope, problem solved. 

Burris has played more CB then Chinn.. So he would be the 1 out of 3 to move. 

9 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Burris has played more CB then Chinn.. So he would be the 1 out of 3 to move. 

Works for me, I honestly didn't know much about Burris. So who do you leave off the field Pride or Robinson? 

4 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

Works for me, I honestly didn't know much about Burris. So who do you leave off the field Pride or Robinson? 

Pride should be the last of these guys to see the field.  He needs the most coaching; he has the most bad tendencies to correct.

This is not to say he doesn't have the potential to learn, and get better.  I just see him as the most error prone of the group you discuss, and therefore (as it Now stands), he would make the D the most vulnerable to the big play.

Nice thread, incidentally -- you got a lot of response.

2 hours ago, bigdavis said:

Pride should be the last of these guys to see the field.  He needs the most coaching; he has the most bad tendencies to correct.

This is not to say he doesn't have the potential to learn, and get better.  I just see him as the most error prone of the group you discuss, and therefore (as it Now stands), he would make the D the most vulnerable to the big play.

Nice thread, incidentally -- you got a lot of response.

Thanks, just wish the ignorant ones without an opinion or proper response would stay out but thats the Huddle for ya. 

Archived