• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shackling your quarterback

Mr. Scot

It can def get worse. Jake is not at some unkown level where its impossible to sink lower.

Weve shown that we can take on great teams with delhomme and still have a good chance at winning. As evidencied by the last two games. With moore we have no idea we cant afford to find that out, when were only allowed one game loss for the playoffs.

As of right now we dont have a QB under center. There is no worse then that. Last time that happend it was Chris Wenkie and Dwill took most of the snaps. Its time to give another guy a shot cause you dont trust the guy you got.

Here is the question Fox has to ask himself with Jake and Matt. Do you want the guy that sucks but puts in all the work or the guy that sucks that does not put forth the effort to improve? For a fan the answer is simply the one that is sucking less right now. For a coach that has to at least attempt to keep a team together and try to keep everyone motivated you have to go with the guy that is at least putting in the hours.

If I was everyone on this board, I would be more pissed at Moore for being happy with "middle of the road", than with Jake for sucking this season. You can not tell me there is not EVERY opportunity for Moore to take over this team he is simply not doing what it takes.

he is leading the league in INTs, is he not? the gameplan is in prevent mode (as in trying to prevent your QB from totally screwing things up). you shouldn't have to do that if your QB has been playing for this long.

i don't care if we are leading the league in rushing. none of that matters if you aren't winning.

and i know we would have the same gameplan with moore....that is the right gameplan to have with new and inexperienced QBs to help them get used to the game. thats exactly what we did with jake when he first started.

we protected him. the panthers were 28th in passing attempts per game with 28.8. meanwhile they were 3rd in rushing attempts per game with 32.6.

since we have things in place to protect a QB from imploding, why not give someone who could be on the upside of his career rather than your long term vet who is obviously on the downside of his career?

if you aren't trying to move forward, you aren't going anywhere. you can only coast so long.

This is getting way to repetive.

Do we know for a fact that Moore couldnt do better? No, he could.

However when your Nfl head coach, who is 3-5 with quite possibly the job on the line and Qb who is struggling, See's Moore in hundreds of practises, knows him as a person and player, and in the study room...And does not switch. Then its not to ridicoulous, to think he honestly doesnt think Moore would be any improvment.

And If he thinks that, and its based on all the things he's seen. Then its also not to hard to assume he very well could be right.

Do you not think Fox and other coaches have already thought about the whole "It cant be worse so why not' argument? They have and they still go Delhomme.

If you want to believe they just are trying to hide thier butts. or just flat out love Delhomme fine. But its a little more logical to think they just dont believe in Moore

This is getting way to repetive.

Do we know for a fact that Moore couldnt do better? No, he could.

However when your Nfl head coach, who is 3-5 with quite possibly the job on the line and Qb who is struggling, See's Moore in hundreds of practises, knows him as a person and player, and in the study room...And does not switch. Then its not to ridicoulous, to think he honestly doesnt think Moore would be any improvment.

And If he thinks that, and its based on all the things he's seen. Then its also not to hard to assume he very well could be right.

Do you not think Fox and other coaches have already thought about the whole "It cant be worse so why not' argument? They have and they still go Delhomme.

If you want to believe they just are trying to hide thier butts. or just flat out love Delhomme fine. But its a little more logical to think they just dont believe in Moore

I think it is much deeper then you think. Fox and Hurney put all there eggs in one Basket in signing Jake to that contract extension. They gambled (foolishly) expecting Jake to rebound and play like the Jake of old for at least 2 or 3 more years. Well now there stuck. Since there are no playoffs in our future if they give up on Jake they most likely lose there jobs (unless Matt comes in and stars which is unlikely given the fact that he is not starting already). You don't give a guy (especially one in his mid-30's with no real upside) a 20 million dollars guaranteed and say oops my bad in the middle of a losing season and expect to keep your job.

I don't think Matt is the best QB but at the same time I can't see how on earth any QB that is on an NFL roster could not play better then Jake at this time. How hard could it possible be for Matt to hand the ball off 80% of the time? Its not like the coach would bench him considering how easily Fox shrugs off Jake's insane TD/INT ratio. No they will either thrive with Jake or die with him.

I think it is much deeper then you think. Fox and Hurney put all there eggs in one Basket in signing Jake to that contract extension. They gambled (foolishly) expecting Jake to rebound and play like the Jake of old for at least 2 or 3 more years. Well now there stuck. Since there are no playoffs in our future if they give up on Jake they most likely lose there jobs (unless Matt comes in and stars which is unlikely given the fact that he is not starting already). You don't give a guy (especially one in his mid-30's with no real upside) a 20 million dollars guaranteed and say oops my bad in the middle of a losing season and expect to keep your job.

I don't think Matt is the best QB but at the same time I can't see how on earth any QB that is on an NFL roster could not play better then Jake at this time. How hard could it possible be for Matt to hand the ball off 80% of the time? Its not like the coach would bench him considering how easily Fox shrugs off Jake's insane TD/INT ratio. No they will either thrive with Jake or die with him.

The problem is saying theyd' be more worried they lose thier job if they bench jake then having a losing season.

If they thought Jake assured them a losing season then it would surpass thier worry of being wrong about Jake contract. Becasue ulitamley a losing season is alot more damging then being wrong about a Qb.

The extension, was the right move, they needed to remove 10 million. Otherwise theyd be in huge trouble with the cap.

The problem is saying theyd' be more worried they lose thier job if they bench jake then having a losing season.

If they thought Jake assured them a losing season then it would surpass thier worry of being wrong about Jake contract. Becasue ulitamley a losing season is alot more damging then being wrong about a Qb.

The extension, was the right move, they needed to remove 10 million. Otherwise theyd be in huge trouble with the cap.

Not really JR has shown a very high tolerance for mediocrity, if Jake was to rebound and win them 8 games I believe Fox and Hurney are safe. If they switch to Matt and win those 8 they are gone. Unless as I have said he comes in and makes us forget all about the Jake mistake (hey I just came up with his nickname).

BTW were is this 10 million dollars come from. That was his salary before yes but we still are paying him a salary. Im pretty sure its around 7 million so we saved 3 million.

This is what gets me, can anyone questioning Matt Moore's work ethic show me a quote from a player or coach confirming this suspicion? I want links becuase I don't remember every hearing that. I might be wrong but I can't remember it.

easy answer. they cant. just another way to protect delhomme and hate on moore. i dont even think he will be the savior, but jeez give him a chance.

You really think they could win the same amount of games and be fired depending on who helped them? I think 8 wins are 8 wins. I dont think jr would see a huge difference.

Then agian Im assuming how a man thinks. Which is lsways a crapshoot.

There will be no need to Fire Fox at seasons end because his contract will be up. He just want get another. Yea Hurney might have screwed up on Delhommes contract but he sure didnt on Fox's.

There will be no need to Fire Fox at seasons end because his contract will be up. He just want get another. Yea Hurney might have screwed up on Delhommes contract but he sure didnt on Fox's.

Fox is signed through the 2010 season.

I think it is actually pretty simple. They gave him a contract extension because of how he came back from surgery last year and played in the majority of games. They don't beleive his physical skills have diminished that much and think he can play at a high level for years to come.

He started off the year poorly and struggled. They had to decide to go in a different direction or wait for things to turn around and give him a gameplan he could execute. They opted for the latter and at least in the last 2 games things have been better. They may turn out to have made the right decision or it may cost then their job. As it stands there is no reason to play Moore if they are going to pare the offense down anyway. They feel they might as well go with the proven veteran who is able to make the short and intermediate throws as well as the unproven backup who isn't by the coach's assessment the future of the franchise.

Is it the right answer? I don't see them in practice evry day but I figure folks who are willing to risk their job on the results have the right to make that decision. After all, right or wrong. I will be a fan and watching the games whether they are here or not. It isn't like we haven't had a pooor season before or anything.

Archived