• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I don't want to be stupid, OK!

Diehardpanther02

"You look at successful organizations, and there's a certain alignment between the head coach and the GM," team owner David Tepper said in a statement. "To think that you can do that without some sort of alignment is nuts. So to not have a head coach with some input into that is stupid. I don't want to be stupid, OK?"

This is by far and away the best comment I have seen Tepper make in response to his departure from Gurney. Tepper is so good at being a respectful smartass I'm convinced he could be a helluva politician. 

This goes hand-in-hand with what I have thought for years. Marty Gurney has had to much pull in this organization without any questioning him. It's stupid to think that throughout our existence one man has singlehandedly controlled who has came in to this building and Donned a panthers uniform. While he hit Homeruns with guys like Cam, Luke, Steve and pepper's among others, had he listened to input we could've witnessed more superbowl appearances or maybe even a ring.

I'm excited today folks. I just don't think we're stupid anymore. Hurney was the last of the old stupid. And even if the new is stupid.

at least it's new right.?

Yes we finally got rid of the last of the stank of mediocrity form the previous regime. Gonna get serious about winning now, and unpopular decisions will be made, but  hopefully, wins follow. Excited beyond words for the future right now. 

Let me flip that quote on it's head just for a minute.

Our 2020 draft was one of our best in a long time.  If you read that quote as written, it says that Marty picked all those guys with little to no input from Rhule.

I'm not in any way saying we should have kept Marty . . . I'm just saying that the level of spin coming out of Panthertown is incredibly high.  Take everything said with an entire shaker of salt.

3 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Our 2020 draft was one of our best in a long time.  If you read that quote as written, it says that Marty picked all those guys with little to no input from Rhule.

I'm not in any way saying we should have kept Marty . . . I'm just saying that the level of spin coming out of Panthertown is incredibly high.  Take everything said with an entire shaker of salt.

Nah, I just think it give us insight into what culture Tepper wants. Gurney was good in spots. He got us to two Superbowls. But he also held us back. And Tepper recognized this, because of his old school way of thinking.

Throughout the years organizations were ran without the meeting of the minds. You take on drafting, you take care of development type of thing. Coaches and GMs need to work together. And that's all that I'm getting at.

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

I would say rd 1 was Hurney 100%, every round after was probably a fight in the draft room. Just look at the entire class to any class Hurney has ever drafted. Donuts to dollars Rhule got his way after the first round and the results speak for themselves. The 19 class is as bad as the 11 class, you cant expect to have any sustained success with 1 draft pick panning out. 

3 minutes ago, BrianS said:

The quote was about Rhule having input on the hiring of the new GM though, not about the draft.

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

Ah, ok, in that context it makes a lot more sense.

It's not singular though. That is the point. Tepper wants coach, gm, and owner to all be talking about all aspects of operation. Draft, GM choice. Whatever that may be.

By what I've read, it seems as if Marty wanted Rhule to coach, but that was it.

16 minutes ago, Diehardpanther02 said:

"You look at successful organizations, and there's a certain alignment between the head coach and the GM," team owner David Tepper said in a statement. "To think that you can do that without some sort of alignment is nuts. So to not have a head coach with some input into that is stupid. I don't want to be stupid, OK?"

This is by far and away the best comment I have seen Tepper make in response to his departure from Gurney. Tepper is so good at being a respectful smartass I'm convinced he could be a helluva politician. 

This goes hand-in-hand with what I have thought for years. Marty Gurney has had to much pull in this organization without any questioning him. It's stupid to think that throughout our existence one man has singlehandedly controlled who has came in to this building and Donned a panthers uniform. While he hit Homeruns with guys like Cam, Luke, Steve and pepper's among others, had he listened to input we could've witnessed more superbowl appearances or maybe even a ring.

I'm excited today folks. I just don't think we're stupid anymore. Hurney was the last of the old stupid. And even if the new is stupid.

at least it's new right.?

And he was never a player or a coach--he was a sports writer.  It blows my mind. It is like he won a contest to be GM for a day and they kept him.

13 minutes ago, BPF said:

Yes we finally got rid of the last of the stank of mediocrity form the previous regime. Gonna get serious about winning now, and unpopular decisions will be made, but  hopefully, wins follow. Excited beyond words for the future right now. 

well said.

Let's temper ourselves. The same kind of enthusiasm surrounded Tepper's purchase of the team. Brass balls and all that jive was said about him. It took only one year for him to start getting crapped on for not doing this or that. Up until yesterday many around here were ready to get rid of him as an owner.

Now suddenly he is in good graces again. Cool. He, like Rhule deserves the chance and change takes time. BUT....lets see who he brings in!

1 minute ago, Ready 2 Win said:

Let's temper ourselves. The same kind of enthusiasm surrounded Tepper's purchase of the team. Brass balls and all that jive was said about him. It took only one year for him to start getting crapped on for not doing this or that. Up until yesterday many around here were ready to get rid of him as an owner.

Now suddenly he is in good graces again. Cool. He, like Rhule deserves the chance and change takes time. BUT....lets see who he brings in!

Growing pains.  I think he is willing to spend--practice facility, front office personnel--he is doing all he can do.   Keeping Marty was the only strange move he made. 

I get your point--and it is good advice.   However, most owners are fruitcakes who either inherited the team or want to run it.  Expect a big contract for the person he brings in, regardless.

Archived