• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I offer you some hope

Jeremy Igo

10 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

The sky isn't falling because we aren't drafting in the top 10.  Deals are being reworked/extended for productive good QB's after their 3rd seasons now (Wilson, Mahomes, Wentz, Goff, Watson). I can't think of any top QB's in recent years who played out their final year of their rookie deal.  I don't think any of the guys ranked in the top 5 at QB in the 2021 draft (Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson, Trask) will be hoisting Lombardi trophies in 3 seasons. This is due to fact they will likely all be going to crappy teams. If they're any good at all they will probably be on their 2nd deal before the win anything and we know what that does to the salary cap.

Now if you put these guys on a team that is only a QB short of contending for a title then things can change in a hurry for their franchise. If we get a QB in the 2021 and he proves to be great draft I'll be thrilled. But seriously, we don't have to get a guy in the top 10 or even the first round "THIS YEAR" in order for Panther fans to ever see the team win a SB.  We have time to find a guy later in the draft or next year.

The highly touted QB class of 1983 had John Elway, Todd Blackledge, Jim Kelly, Ken O Brian, Tony Eason, and Dan Marino. You know how many Superbowls they won between them...2! Elway won both of them during the last two years in the league, largely due a strong all around Bronco team that featured Terrell Davis @ tailback. Before that Eason, Marino, Elway, and Kelly went 0-9 in Superbowl play. The latter 3 all made the hall of fame, but they lost their Super Bowls because their opponents had better all around teams. I doubt we'll have 3 hall of famers out of this years QB class.

We don't need to reach for a QB and end up like Chicago. 

I never said we should reach for a QB. You are welcome to make guesses as to what will happen in the first 3 seasons of the top rated QBs in this draft. I highly doubt we're going to see a SB win in the coming years with Teddy, and why draft a later round QB when we have Teddy? The draft history stuff does't really mean much imo.

20 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

We don't need to reach for a QB and end up like Chicago. 

It seems like there's a wide gap between what the Panthers' organization is in some Panthers fans' minds vs. the reality of the Panthers' organization.

We've won 17 games over the past three seasons. The Bears have won 28. We have three losing seasons in the last three. The Bears have none. The Bears' past three seasons would be one of the better runs of success in Panthers' history. There's not many cluster of three seasons in Panthers history that would get you 28 wins over three seasons.

There is a particular chain of events that is happening and will continue to play out up to the draft. The lower we drop in the draft, the lower the rating the QBs available to us will have at our pick. The lower the rating on the QB, the greater the chance he won't be seen as better than Teddy, or he won't be seen as having a better potential ceiling than Teddy. For example, Justin Herbert, taken 6th overall, was rated higher than Teddy in potential and Marty would have drafted him. Now let's look at the second round in 2020. The QBs available to us high in the second round were not good enough to be drafted to replace Teddy. That is the most recent draft information we have with our current scouts.

Is it possible that we find a QB at 9th, or in the second round who rates as better than Teddy in potential. Yes, but it is considerably less likely. Teddy is pretty good, so it takes a potential franchise type QB (in rating) to unseat Teddy. I want Teddy out of here. To do that, we can't rely on the 5th, 6th, 10th best QB in the draft to unseat him. Yes we might draft the 6th best QB due to him being rated higher than Teddy in potential, but that outcome is far less likely than having a shot at the 2nd or 3rd best QB.

13 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Pipe dream.

Both the lions and Falcons are getting entirely new front offices, both will want new QBs. There’s a slim chance the Falcons don’t draft a QB but every thing I’ve heard about Detroit is that Stafford wants out and the Lions are going to rebuild. And that doesn’t include teams like SF, Colts, Steelers, NE, Denver that can all trade up.

I think we need to trade up, I’m perfectly fine with trading multiple first round picks for Wilson. We better not beat the saints next week 

Pipe Dream? Sounded to me like a very satisfying wet dream, and I'm envious!

But I fully agree with everything else you said, calling Cinncy this week to start negotiations for a trade is a must. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It seems like there's a wide gap between what the Panthers' organization is in some Panthers fans' minds vs. the reality of the Panthers' organization.

We've won 17 games over the past three seasons. The Bears have won 28. We have three losing seasons in the last three. The Bears have none. The Bears' past three seasons would be one of the better runs of success in Panthers' history. There's not many cluster of three seasons in Panthers history that would get you 28 wins over three seasons.

I'm well aware of our dubious history. We have 26 seasons in the NFL without back to back winning seasons which is a mind boggling statistic. Still, I'd rather be a Panthers fan than a Bear fan.

We have been to two Superbowls since 2002. The Bears have been to one (2006) since their 1985 dream season. I don't think the Bears won a playoff game since that  2006 season. We've had a league MVP/All-Pro QB this decade. The greatest QB in Bear History, Sid Luckman, retired in 1950 during the Truman administration.  He was a member of the 1940's all decade team ...let that sink in man.  Luckman retired with 14,686 passing yds and 137 TD's. Only the great Jay Cutler has surpassed those totals. He still ranks in the top 5 among Bear QBs in completions and pass attempts.

Sorry for the rant. Let's get back to Mitchell Trubisky. Watson and Mahomes, the two quarterbacks drafted behind him, have already received extensions after their 3rd seasons. The Bears declined the 5th year option on Mitch indicating they don't consider him a franchise QB. Chicago is not tied to him after this season. We know the answer isn't on the current roster if they are serious about contending for a title. So, they could looking to be looking at selecting another QB high in the draft this very off-season. Based off of his 4 year career so far, Trubisky was a wasted 1st round pick. I don't want to see that happen to us. 

Archived