• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So who likes this playoff format?

TheBigKat

7 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

If you have eight playoff teams and two byes in each conference you end up with five playoff teams in week two.

Good point I goofed that one, there are a few solutions to that, Play in game, or the first seed getting a pass to the title game (that would be interesting) or better yet have 1 and 2 play a non elimination game for the right to no divisioninal game.

3 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Good point I goofed that one, there are a few solutions to that, Play in game, or the first seed getting a pass to the title game (that would be interesting)

The double bye for the one seed still leaves 3 teams in week 3.  But yeah you could have first round be seeds 5-8. Then you would be back to the six team format we have always used. This would give seeds #1 and #2 a double bye. Seems too complicated.

1 hour ago, Happy Panther said:

It also attempts to solve the issue of 11-5 teams missing the playoffs. Colts were the 7th seed at 11-5.

So one step closer to the NBA where they regularly let losing record teams in that have no business.  I guess Panthers can hope to be like Jordan's Hornets who sneak in every three years or so as one of those loser teams.

Rivera may be the answer to a Sports Trivia question soon:  The only coach to guide two different NFL teams to the playoffs with a losing record!

1. 1982  – The Cleveland Browns (4-5, lost their first playoff game against the Raiders)
  2. 1982 – The Detroit Lions (4-5, lost their first playoff game against Washington)
  3. 2010 – The Seattle Seahawks (7-9, won their first playoff game against New Orleans)
  4. 2014 – The Carolina Panthers (7-8-1, won their first playoff game against Arizona)
  5. 2020 – The Washington Football Team (7-9)

Archived