• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former Panther S Deon Grant on Jake: He's the "biggest disappointment" in the NFL

Sam Mills Fan

The Panthers have been very, very successful for an expansion team. Look at all the expansion teams that came before them and after them....

Cleveland

Houston

Tampa Bay

Seattle

Atlanta

New Orleans

Minnesota

Of that group...one Super Bowl title, seven appearances (four by Minnesota)

Minnesota, Atlanta and New Orleans have been around since the late 60s.

TB and Seattle came along in 76.

Cleve and Houston were added this decade.

only 2 of of those teams entered during the salary cap era, and the remaining bunch didn't have free agency either, so they couldn't take advantage of these benefits. Not to mention, during expansion year, Carolina was granted 3 first round picks a piece, including the first overall pick, something neither TB nor Seattle were awarded (though they were granted 1st and 2nd pick overall), the Saints' first round pick actually came last in the round, Atlanta got 2, and Houston only got one to use in the first when they came out.

The Panthers have been very, very successful for an expansion team. Look at all the expansion teams that came before them and after them....

Cleveland

Houston

Tampa Bay

Seattle

Atlanta

New Orleans

Minnesota

Of that group...one Super Bowl title, seven appearances (four by Minnesota)

Minnesota, Atlanta and New Orleans have been around since the late 60s.

TB and Seattle came along in 76.

Cleve and Houston were added this decade.

Aren't most teams in the NFL expansion teams? Cuz you forgot some like San Francisco and Dallas and Pittsburgh.....just sayin'..:D

i don't think any of the criticisms of him are for a lifetime of work...it's this year that he is a disappointment.

any of you that don't think that he is need to have a reality check or need to get some higher standards.

he is horrible this year. right now that is the only thing that matters other than the fact that we are stuck with him for a couple more years and could be stuck with a coach who thinks he is still worthy of the job.

This post is right on the money. Jake still has a winning record for a career. That in itself means he is no failure. Presently though he sucks. Sucked a few times last year especially in the playoffs. He has the coaching staff so afraid he will screw up they won't let him even try to win. His day is done. The coaching staff's day will be done soon too if they don't figure out how to correct this problem.

i don't think any of the criticisms of him are for a lifetime of work...it's this year that he is a disappointment.

any of you that don't think that he is need to have a reality check or need to get some higher standards.

he is horrible this year. right now that is the only thing that matters other than the fact that we are stuck with him for a couple more years and could be stuck with a coach who thinks he is still worthy of the job.

There's no doubt he's had a disappointing year, but who the hell is Deon Grant to say that? Deon Grant has had a disappointing career.

You forgot Baltimore whos won a Super Bowl and has a winning record as a franchise. J-Ville also has a winning record as a franchise. We dont. And never will under the current ownership group unless they drastically change their philosophy. Most of those teams you listed, although expansions dont see themselves as such anymore. I feel we should be the same way. 15 years is long enough to figure it out and start competing year in and year out to be 1 of the best football teams, not just the best expansion.

Baltimore wasn't an expansion team. They were the Cleveland Browns.

I don't know this for a fact, but I'd bet the Panthers are the only franchise in modern NFL history that only had two of its first 14 seasons where they won less than seven games.

Deon Grant is one of the dumbest players in Panthers history.

He might be a moron but he hit this nail on the head.

Jake has 2 starting WRs that have both been to the pro bowl in the last 5 years.

Jake has a pro bowl left tackle

Jake has maybe the best RB in the NFL

Name another QB in this league that has a top 5 RB, two pro bowl receivers, and a pro bowl left tackle. I honestly cannot think of one.

There are QBs in this league that are working with WAAAYY less than what Jake has.

Let me put it this way. Do you think any other team in this league would win if the only let their QB throw the ball 6 times in the 2nd half against Arizona?

We have one of the best WRs of the last decade on our team and the best running game in the NFL. I don't care what anyone says...I would take our running game over any other combo of RBs/OL in the NFL. There isn't a combination that is better. What those two running backs are doing WITHOUT a QB to take the pressure off is unbelievable.

I'll never forget Deon going for the interception instead of just batting the ball down in Dallas that one time. Instead, ball deflects off his hands into the Cowboys wide receiver's for an 80-yard touchdown. Panthers, up 13-0 with like five minutes to go and Dallas facing a 4th-and-20 and that knucklehead lets them off the hook. Dallas 14, Carolina 13.

That may be the biggest stomach punch game in Panthers history.

I'll never forget Deon going for the interception instead of just batting the ball down in Dallas that one time. Instead, ball deflects off his hands into the Cowboys wide receiver's for an 80-yard touchdown. Panthers, up 13-0 with like five minutes to go and Dallas facing a 4th-and-20 and that knucklehead lets them off the hook. Dallas 14, Carolina 13.

That may be the biggest stomach punch game in Panthers history.

I dont think anyone was not happy to see Grant go. Godfrey reminds me so much of him. All the skills without the brains to go with it.

Archived