• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How close did the Panthers come to getting Stafford? Dang close.

Zod

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Exchanging medical information is like one step away from completion, so yeah it was that close.

The Panthers weren't Stafford's first choice, and that's all we really know. But even if they were one of the teams he didn't want, he didn't have any leverage to stop a trade. And the Lions only agreed they would try to send him to a place he wanted to go, but only if it was also advantageous to them.

Los Angeles upping their final offer made it work out. If not for that, he'd likely be on his way here now.

Fair enough. In retrospect, I am glad it didn’t work out. Why would we want a QB who didn’t want to join us in the first place?

Well the proof will be in the pudding. If the Rams go to the NFC Championship and maybe Super Bowl this year and display the better ability to audible by the quarterback then it paid off.  In that case maybe it was a miss.

Stafford is better today than any draftable option and he’s still relatively young.

That could have been the Panthers. 

The future will tell.

• Beer 1

On 2/2/2021 at 9:43 AM, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, anyone with half a brain can literally see that. The only "Stafford Sucks" discussions come from fans who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Football guys don't talk about Matt Stafford as not being a very good QB. It is plainly obvious that he is.

I will say that these "good" or "dodged a bullet" threads probably aren't going to age well. I rarely like to be the "told you so guy" when it is bad for the Panthers but I won't be shy about reminding these Huddlers when Stafford is successful in LA. Especially if we whiff on a QB this offseason.

Make no mistake, it is not a celebration to miss out on an answer for the most important position in football. I am not going to celebrate "missing out" on Watson for whatever giant haul he commands. 

I actually love it. Since Cam left all the Cam only fans have largely left with him as we said it would happen. But the like two that are still here are hilarious and keep proving the bolded. Gotta keep some around for entertainment.

• Beer 1