• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quit it with ripping Fox for clapping after a bad play...

Zod

I understand why Fox does it. I don't know about the rest of you but when I mess up at work I sure as hell don't get a clap or pat on the back. Its ok to do it if its just one of those things you can't control, but when its clearly a players fault clapping is not allowed IMO.

OK....clapping for someone when they just screwed your entire team....that makes a lot of sense.....I'm glad John Fox is so concerned for his players self esteem that he's willing to congratulate them for screwing up. I'm sure he also gives them a trophy at the end of the season for "participating". Clapping doesnt motivate a millionaire.....challenging him will! I dont necessarily want Foxy to chew someone out on the sideline, but you cant act as if everything is wonderful. Its so fake.

If you think Fox should yell and rip his players then you don't really understand what a coach's job is supposed to be.

The only coaches that rip players on the sideline and throw hissy fits and yell constantly, and are completely non supportive of their players end up being terrible coaches.

Seriously some of you think that the players don't know they screwed up if Fox claps after a bad play and tries to encourage them.

I know I say that many football aren't very bright but c'mon now. Everyone knows when they screw up and most of the time the person screwing up is harder on themselves than someone else would be.

These are highly paid successful men not adolescent boys. You don't need to yell at them or threaten them. They got here by being self motivated and highly driven not by someone dragging them along the road to success.

Encouraging them and letting them know they aren't going to be pulled every time they make a mistake allows they to play better not worse. Folks afraid to make a mistake will be more indecisive not less. Football is a confidence game and has to be encouraged and nurtured. This punitive threatening stance may work with a child or adolescent but surely not in professional sports. Did you ever see for, example, Tony Dungy yell and scream at a player on the field? Surely didn't make his players weak and complacent.

Did you ever see for, example, Tony Dungy yell and scream at a player on the field? Surely didn't make his players weak and complacent.

I saw an interview a while back and he was asked if he ever yelled at any players. He said he did just once. It was in indianapolis and a couple of his younger players were a no show at a local grade school speaking event they had committed to. I found that interesting.

Theres no right or wrong answer as far as approach goes. You can be Cowher, or you can be Dungy.

The point of the thread, is that people actually complain about it. When it has no merit to judging wether he's a good caoch or not. I mean, if you think its stupid and doesnt have a point fine. But how is it a negative and worth complaining about?

I saw an interview a while back and he was asked if he ever yelled at any players. He said he did just once. It was in indianapolis and a couple of his younger players were a no show at a local grade school speaking event they had committed to. I found that interesting.

Yeah he wouldn't yell at a player on the field but would do when they fail their civic commitment to the community and disappoint children. He clearly had his priorities in place.

I think it is counter productive. Yes these are grown men but I know a lot of grown men that need an ass chewing every once in a while. It is possible to motivate agressively and make people respect you at the same time. Right now no one respects Fox and it is obvious, players are actually complaining to the media.

Wow. Some of you guys really are so out of touch it's frightening. Professional sports are not like mid-level management. And just because a player gets paid more money than you do doesn't mean that he's any less deserving of some encouragement, and there is not a better person for that to come from than a head coach. Let the position coaches tell their guys how bad they f*cked up. It's not like the players don't already know it. And anybody who's played a sport in their entire life, be it curling or football, baseball or soccer, knows good and well that Fox isn't "congratulating" his players for screwing up. It's called encouragement, not congratulating. That's the difference between "Come on guys, we gotta pick it up," and "Great job!" the latter of which I can assure you is not what he's telling the offense after a lost fumble, 3 and out, or interception. Nor is he telling that to the defense after a huge pass play, missed assignments, blown coverages, or a touchdown.

Really, guys? Really?

Are these grown men? I don't want someone clapping for me when I mess up. It just seems like an insult.

being a gators fan should be an insult.

I think it is counter productive. Yes these are grown men but I know a lot of grown men that need an ass chewing every once in a while. It is possible to motivate agressively and make people respect you at the same time. Right now no one respects Fox and it is obvious, players are actually complaining to the media.

The grown men you know are not likely professional athletes which aren't the same as regular joes. And you have no idea whether they respect Fox or not. What they are saying to the media isn't personal but about the team, how they are playing or what they would like changed. That is far cry from saying that a coach sucks or is incompetent. The only place I hear that all the time is on message boards like this or media pieces. All written by folks who have never likely played football beyond sandlot or are paid to stir controversy.

I understand why Fox does it. I don't know about the rest of you but when I mess up at work I sure as hell don't get a clap or pat on the back. Its ok to do it if its just one of those things you can't control, but when its clearly a players fault clapping is not allowed IMO.

Mess up at work often enough to know what your boss needs to do? :eek: j/k!

Wow. Some of you guys really are so out of touch it's frightening. Professional sports are not like mid-level management. And just because a player gets paid more money than you do doesn't mean that he's any less deserving of some encouragement, and there is not a better person for that to come from than a head coach. Let the position coaches tell their guys how bad they f*cked up. It's not like the players don't already know it. And anybody who's played a sport in their entire life, be it curling or football, baseball or soccer, knows good and well that Fox isn't "congratulating" his players for screwing up. It's called encouragement, not congratulating. That's the difference between "Come on guys, we gotta pick it up," and "Great job!" the latter of which I can assure you is not what he's telling the offense after a lost fumble, 3 and out, or interception. Nor is he telling that to the defense after a huge pass play, missed assignments, blown coverages, or a touchdown.

Really, guys? Really?

:iagree:

Seriously, anything happening during a football game is different and can't be compared to any other time in the world. The sideline is always in flux, a tultumus, loud place for sure. As the head coach Fox is paying attention to the entire game. There are 45 seconds before the next play unless there's a tv break or time out. 45 seconds. IMO Fox claps to get the attention of the players, to get them to let go of the bad moment/feelings so it doesn't affect their play for the rest of the game, to keep them in the game and not sulking, to let them know that he is paying attention and he does expect you to do better next time. The players know exactly how he feels about what happened. Then he lets his coaching staff teach the lesson of how it happened and how to avoid it.

I've seen players avoid Cowher when coming to the sideline. Don't want that. I've also seen Cowher clap the same as Fox. Each coach has his own style.

Archived