Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Center Position: Nick Richards and Vernon Carey Jr


Recommended Posts

The G-League schedule wraps up this weekend; as does NBA All-Star weekend.  Sounds like we will likely see both Nick Richards and Vernon Carey Jr back on the Hornets game day roster at that point.  

Those two have been putting up big stats this year - and even JB himself has commented how much he’s been impressed watching them lately.

Centers:  Vernon Carey Jr and Nick Richards

I don’t see how Richards isn’t an immediate upgrade of Biz as the backup center behind Cody.  He can do everything defensively that Biz can do but better.  And he has offensive moves and shooting range that Biz couldn’t even dream about.

Carey has the most upside of the two and has proven lately he can also play the 4, recently playing together with Richards on the floor.  After watching those two play lately, it’s hard to imagine their addition won’t *drastically* improve our front court play (rim protection, rebounding, lob targets, and even stretch shooting from the 4/5).

I’m really excited to see those two young guys playing with this up and coming young core.  The Hornets are on the verge of something really special in Charlotte...

1 - LaMelo, Graham

2 - Rozier, Monk

3 - Hayward, Miles

4 - PJ, Carey Jr, Jalen

5 - Zellar, Richards, Biyombo

 

Nick Richards highlights (Swarm)

Vernon Carey Jr highlights (Swarm)

 

  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The way things are going for this team I am not making a trade right now.  Keep what we have and draft a big next draft.  Resign Monk immediately.  This squad is straight prime time right now.

  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Shocker said:

The way things are going for this team I am not making a trade right now.  Keep what we have and draft a big next draft.  Resign Monk immediately.  This squad is straight prime time right now.

I agree.  We are building around LaMelo, who is 19.  And by “building” I mean building for an NBA Championship.

LaMelo in his prime will be that 2nd contract in 4-5 years (age 24-29).  Hence, we should be focusing on core players nearest his age range to develop alongside him.  I believe Monk should be one and perhaps PJ/Miles.  The two young centers could also be on that list - moreso than older players like Hayward, Cody, and even Rozier.

That said, future draft picks are more important to us right now than free agents older than 24.  If they could acquire future 1st’s for Rozier or Hayward after this year’s playoff run, I’d be all for it.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree...Hayward and Rozier have also been amazing.  Most people have pigeonholed this team as an 8 seed but forget that IMO.  Top 4 seed is totally in reach and major damage in the playoffs is a serious possibility 

I would just keep the team together and let Kup continue to build.  Kup has been amazing 

Edited by Shocker
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HardcoreHokie said:

I agree.  We are building around LaMelo, who is 19.  And by “building” I mean building for an NBA Championship.

LaMelo in his prime will be that 2nd contract in 4-5 years (age 24-29).  Hence, we should be focusing on core players nearest his age range to develop alongside him.  I believe Monk should be one and perhaps PJ/Miles.  The two young centers could also be on that list - moreso than older players like Hayward, Cody, and even Rozier.

That said, future draft picks are more important to us right now than free agents older than 24.  If they could acquire future 1st’s for Rozier or Hayward after this year’s playoff run, I’d be all for it.

I don’t know....watching college basketball this year, never seen so many not as good as they think they are players ever

draft picks outside top 7 or 8 not nearly as valuable as they used to be

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shocker said:

Agree...Hayward and Rozier have also been amazing.  Most people have pigeonholed this team as an 8 seed but forget that IMO.  Top 4 seed is totally in reach and major damage in the playoffs is a serious possibility 

I would just keep the team together and let Kup continue to build.  Kup has been amazing 

I agree...I wouldn’t break this team up, but we do need a few more better players

the one I want is in Minneapolis and we play them Wednesday 

this board seems bent on giving up all our #1s (Panthers), I’d give up our next year #1 for towns in a heartbeat 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Vernon must be looking raw af in practice for JB to be bringing him along this slowly. With Zeller out and him having his way with the G League you'd think he'd be called up. Biz can barely catch a pass out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MechaZain said:

Vernon must be looking raw af in practice for JB to be bringing him along this slowly. With Zeller out and him having his way with the G League you'd think he'd be called up. Biz can barely catch a pass out there.

I don’t think either are able to anker a defense yet.. Which is keeping them off the court.. As the center you have to be able to call out screens and picks while also being able to communicate the movement of the defense.. Which Cody and Biz as veterans know how to do.. So while Carey and Richardson offensive game might be better their defense may need more time to develop..

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MechaZain said:

Vernon must be looking raw af in practice for JB to be bringing him along this slowly. With Zeller out and him having his way with the G League you'd think he'd be called up. Biz can barely catch a pass out there.

JB commented on this in one of his recent quotes. With shortened camps and no preseason, he wanted the rooks to take advantage of significant playing time in the shortened G-League bubble (it’s only like 25 games this year and already over this weekend).  That is their training camp.  

He also mentioned how them being down in Orlando (not Greensboro) and with the current Covid protocols with the bubble, they have to sit out a few games when they do get called up.  So it makes total sense to get those two bigs as much game action (practice!) in Orlando for a few weeks...and then after this weekend, call them up and they still have 40+ NBA games to contribute for the Hornets.

They look ready to contribute to me - both offensively and defensively. 

  • Pie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...