• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brandt needs to give more on QB prospects

top dawg

12 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

Sorry, I was intending to quote @MHS831 and highlighted where you quoted him.. I'm not really on the Jones train per se, I just think he's who will be left, and that's OK. I am not a fan of burning a bunch of draft picks to trade up.

Lol it’s all good I had to go back I was like damn did I really say that. I was like damn I must of drank a lot that day!

On 3/7/2021 at 3:03 AM, Woodie said:

Even though I watched several of his games this year, I decided to review his play.  Since I challenged you, it was only fair that I challenge myself as well.  Below is a video of every play Jones made this year...not just the highlights (someone posted it earlier, not sure who).  So far I have looked at every play of his through the first four games, and so far it only reinforced my perspective.  

Was every pass perfect?  No!  Did he always make the right decision? Certainly not! 

However, I made a point to look at every one of his deep balls in those games (30+ air yards).  The vast majority were perfectly thrown, either leading the receiver, or thrown where only the receiver had a chance to catch it.  A couple of throws were underthrown, but the ball had zip and got there quick, Jones just didn't put the ball in the best spot.  On only a couple of balls did the receiver have to slow down at all, but even then it was only slightly.  Several were contested and on multiple occasions he was under duress. 

Some key time stamps you might want to look at (that show him using the arm strength you say he doesn't possess) are 2:36, 7:46, 9:33, and 34:58.  For good measure, look at 27:09 to see a play that disproves your assertion that he cannot throw on the run (even though he doesn't do it very often, it is something he can do).  

Now, to be fair, here are some time stamps where he didn't throw a perfect deep ball: 10:30, 18:45, and 41:00.  Yes, these were slightly underthrown, but they are clearly imperfect throws and not due to an inability to get the ball there.

To be clear, my argument is not that he has a powerful arm and the deep ball will be his bread and butter in the NFL.  It's that while not possessing a cannon, he is capable of making deep, accurate NFL throws, and those throws do not flutter or float.  He will not be the liability deep that Bridgewater has been.  I have no argument for anyone that prefers someone with a cannon and/or is more athletic and is more of a threat to run.  

For the record, I think his bread and butter will be the short to mid range game, but he'll keep defenses honest because he can hit the deep ball.  His style will be similar to the way prime Brees played (not saying he'll be as good as Brees, but that's the style he fits).

I hit the time stamps you pointed out.  I'm tempted to watch all 2+ hours, but need my job, lol. I do admire your enthusiasm though. Great post.

2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Winston isn't super athletic.

The last 4 teams playing this year all had pocket passers. Mahomes and Rodgers can buy some time with their legs, but neither is a runner (Rodgers used to be, but he's 37 now). 

Games are still won and lost by throws made from the pocket. All this talk of 'let's draft an athletic QB so they can dodge unblocked defenders' is baffling to me. Fields / Lance / Lawrence are all very athletic guys - but if you ask them to consistently buy time for themselves in the NFL they're going to fail. 

People hate on Jones - and at this point it's just blind bias. They don't actually look into what he achieved at Alabama - they just explain it away by the supporting cast. Speaking of that supporting cast - they all think he's much better than Tua, and have said so publicly. 

At the end of the day, Jones is probably going to be a very consistent starting NFL QB. There's a lot of value to that - but then we're on a blog where people wouldn't cut off their left arm for 10 years of prime Matt Ryan, so....

I don't hate on him for playing on Alabama. I also don't trust my own judgments as much as I do scouting reports on him... which all point out meh athleticism and average arm strength (but actually highlight strengths I think our offense could utilize quite well).

I just don't want him with #8 from what I've seen and read.