• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Line shuffle

Dpantherman

By now, we all know (assume) that Jordan Gross is out for the year with a broken ankle. So now the question is, who replaces him. In reality no one, because he is a top 5 LT in this league. But I think Wharton will do pretty good, mainly because he used to be a LT. Granted he is a much better guard, and he will need time to adjust again.

As far as replacing Wharton, I think its time to start Duke Robinson. This guy is huge, and we definitely run the risk of penalties, mainly because he is a rookie, and would be making his first start, but I think he should try it. He was a steal in the 4th round, and one point was a projected 1st round pick.

any other suggestions?

We've only kept two backup olinemen active on gameday this year (Schwartz and Bernadeau). No matter what the "depth chart" at panthers.com said, the actual game depth chart looked something like this:

LT - Gross/Wharton

LG - Wharton/Bernadeau

C - Kalil/Bernadeau

RG - Vincent/Bernadeau

RT - Otah/Schwartz

I expect the game day depth chart to look something like this if we only keep two backups active.

LT - Wharton/Otah

LG - Bernadeau/Robinson

C - Kalil/Bernadeau

RG - Vincent/Robinson

RT - Otah/Schwartz

The other possibility is Garry Williams backing up LT and Wharton swinging to RT if Otah were to be injured. Meh, it's my best guess. They could keep 3 backups active on game day, but we already have problems with kick/punt coverage and the Green Bay pooch punt a few years ago proved how effective olinemen are in kick coverage.

Robinson has been inactive most of the season, don't expect him to go from inactive to starting
most likely.

i would see us picking up a FA before we went that route.

there are a couple interesting choices out there but i doubt we will do anything this week. they will want to see how what they have in house handles this week and then make an acquisition then.

i more see them picking up an LG to replace wharton and move wharton to LT.

an easy one would be mike wahle. he's a free agent but he's got a bum shoulder and probably wouldn't pass the physical. the benefit to him coming in would be knowledge of the system and familiarity with the team, esp wharton and kalil.

we could go after john runyan, though. that would allow wharton to stay at LG. he's about the only FA i would trust to fill in at LT.

looking at the available options...there just isn't much of anyone i would trust to come in and do well other than as depth.

i just know it's a shame that bridges isn't available anymore.

There are several guys out there. Runyan could do the job but may be too expensive. Kwame Harris, LJ Shelton might be good choices. As for guards there are at least 2 guys who we tried last year who are still available- Fonoti and Brown. Pete Kendall might still have some left in the tank.

The starting line is definitely what we went to when gross went down. Wharton is a good LT but a great G. I'm assuming Duke starts getting activated and Schwartz comes in for goaline situations. Williams is technically listed as backup LT but it's pretty obvious that position is too important not to move Wharton there.

Archived