• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft Day!

Captain Morgan

15 minutes ago, My Life Dont Matter said:

Joker played in the euro. If he had played in the US, he would’ve went much higher. 

So the fug what.. Luka played in Europe so did Porzingas they got drafted in the 1st round...

You trying to make a point here with nothing sharp in your tool box..

Your wrong just relax and enjoy the night..

My perspective the morning after: 

I cannot believe James Bouknight fell to 11. I mean holy hell. @Shocker it sounds like you're low on him. Don't be. He has star potential. His 3 point shooting percentages at UConn were low last year, but he had elbow surgery in January that took him out for a month or so. His shooting was hampered for that reason. As a freshman, he shot 35% from 3. Not only that, he can score at all 3 levels, his handle is NASTY and he's a very underrated defender with his long reach. I love the fit long term next to LaMelo. 

Bouknight can be the CJ McCollum that Charlotte fans have wanted for years. At best, he can be the Donovan Mitchell that the Hornets passed on for Malik Monk. He's special.

The Kai Jones trade up was cool. I like the upside he has as a big man and he's gonna be electric running in transition with LaMelo. The shooting upside is there and he can be an amazing perimeter defender for a big. Keep expectations low this year. I'm going to guess that Kai Jones will play more games for Greensboro than Charlotte this next season. He needs to develop.

JT Thor is another fun upside pick. Will also get a lot of run in Greensboro. I do think Charlotte will sign him to a contract.

Scottie Lewis at pick 56 will probably be one of the 2-way contract guys this year.

Going into Free Agency:

Charlotte Fans - please temper expectations for free agency after tonight.

With Plumlee, Bouknight, Kai and Thor being added last night, Charlotte has ONE open roster spot left and about $13M to spend. 

My guess is that cap space will be used to re-sign Devonte Graham. 

I think that there is a very low chance Richaun Holmes comes to Charlotte now. They can't sign him AND bring Graham back. Plus with Kai, Thor and Plumlee PLUS Carey and Richards - Charlotte has a ton of centers on the roster.

If they add a center it'll be via trade (ie Myles Turner) and Terry will be the return with Carey/Richards thrown in (my guess).

Charlotte could let go of Caleb Martin for free (contract isn't guaranteed until like Sept/Oct), but that only gives Charlotte an additional $1.5M in space. Not a lot of room.

Overall I loved what Charlotte did. Bring Devonte back and let's ride. Talent is vastly improved even if there is some added development time. Plumlee is better than Zeller and Bouknight is a monk upgrade. 

We'll see if they make a trade or two.

• Pie 4

13 minutes ago, AppHeel said:

My perspective the morning after: 

I cannot believe James Bouknight fell to 11. I mean holy hell. @Shocker it sounds like you're low on him. Don't be. He has star potential. His 3 point shooting percentages at UConn were low last year, but he had elbow surgery in January that took him out for a month or so. His shooting was hampered for that reason. As a freshman, he shot 35% from 3. Not only that, he can score at all 3 levels, his handle is NASTY and he's a very underrated defender with his long reach. I love the fit long term next to LaMelo. 

Bouknight can be the CJ McCollum that Charlotte fans have wanted for years. At best, he can be the Donovan Mitchell that the Hornets passed on for Malik Monk. He's special.

The Kai Jones trade up was cool. I like the upside he has as a big man and he's gonna be electric running in transition with LaMelo. The shooting upside is there and he can be an amazing perimeter defender for a big. Keep expectations low this year. I'm going to guess that Kai Jones will play more games for Greensboro than Charlotte this next season. He needs to develop.

JT Thor is another fun upside pick. Will also get a lot of run in Greensboro. I do think Charlotte will sign him to a contract.

Scottie Lewis at pick 56 will probably be one of the 2-way contract guys this year.

Going into Free Agency:

Charlotte Fans - please temper expectations for free agency after tonight.

With Plumlee, Bouknight, Kai and Thor being added last night, Charlotte has ONE open roster spot left and about $13M to spend. 

My guess is that cap space will be used to re-sign Devonte Graham. 

I think that there is a very low chance Richaun Holmes comes to Charlotte now. They can't sign him AND bring Graham back. Plus with Kai, Thor and Plumlee PLUS Carey and Richards - Charlotte has a ton of centers on the roster.

If they add a center it'll be via trade (ie Myles Turner) and Terry will be the return with Carey/Richards thrown in (my guess).

Charlotte could let go of Caleb Martin for free (contract isn't guaranteed until like Sept/Oct), but that only gives Charlotte an additional $1.5M in space. Not a lot of room.

Overall I loved what Charlotte did. Bring Devonte back and let's ride. Talent is vastly improved even if there is some added development time. Plumlee is better than Zeller and Bouknight is a monk upgrade. 

We'll see if they make a trade or two.

I still think we have enough to get another mid level big man..

Noel, McGee, Robin Lopez, Robinson, Whiteside, Collins or Len..

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/center/

• Pie 1

I agree with a lot of what @AppHeel said.. however, I think Kai will get a good amount of bench minutes this year.. he is raw and will have to develop but I just don't think Plumlee/Carey/Richards will be getting the bulk of our center minutes.. maybe PJ gets some run in our small-ball lineup but well see.. if we do get a FA center that wud change things

to expand on Bouknight - I 100% agree about the long-term fit next to Ball.. Bouknight brings everything that Monk brought to the table [shooting + finishing at the rim] but he also brings the sizes and defensive ability that kept Monk from becoming our starting SG.. Monk had improved but still would have lapses..

I hope we bring back Graham too.. $10m a year for 3-4 years sounds about right

Terry for Myles Turner is interesting.. IF Bouknight is the heir apparent to Rozier - then we should flip him for an asset - but I wouldn't do it until mid-season when his value should be sky high..

20 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

I still think we have enough to get another mid level big man..

Noel, McGee, Robin Lopez, Robinson, Whiteside, Collins or Len..

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/center/

We do - you probably can't bring Graham back. I think he's going to command every bit of that cap space.

I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

We also have 5 centers on the roster currently. Don't have space for another Center body on the roster without moving one.

10 minutes ago, Shocker said:

So we gave up a future first rounder for Jones?  

A non lottery pick 1st round for a guy this year who was considered in the same spot... If the team sucks you lose nothing.. If the teams good you're really not wanting to add another young player anyway... At that point you're looking at adding a Fa to take you over the top...

Not that hard to understand...

12 minutes ago, Shocker said:

So we gave up a future first rounder for Jones?  

Yes. It's lottery protected for the next 4 years I think. If it doesn't convey, it becomes two 2nd rounders.

So basically we are protected from not giving up a lotto pick throughout the entire duration of Kai's rookie deal. Nice business there.

• Pie 1