• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers and WR Robby Anderson have agreed to a 2-year, $29.5 million extension, per source.

SgtJoo

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Sorry, but it is still a shade under $15M a year for two more years. Tearing up this year’s deal doesn’t make the cost cheaper. That’s just spacing out the cap hits how they want. $15M a year is basically top tier WR2 money like Kupp and Godwin. He’s below those guys and above the next tier. $12-13M is a fair deal for him so it’s a slight overpay but it’s a 2 year deal and since DJ has his 5th year option, we won’t ever have a big cap hit at WR and you’ve got extra time for Marshall and Smith to get better. Worst case is we pay $20M for just 2022 and Marshall and possibly Smith have relegated Robby to an expensive WR3 for one year.

The biggest issue I see with this is that I would have waited. It’s a lot of money to waste if Marshall and possibly Smith look phenomenal and/or Darnold looks like crap. Paying Robby a lot in 2022/2023 for lower production and/or while we have to get a new QB is something you could have avoided if you let the season play out while talking extension.

Overall, not a bad deal but maybe premature and a little overpay.

Robby doesnt have a cap hit over 13 million for any of the next 3 years.  

12or 12.5 this year (can't remember)

13 next year

12 the following year. 

7 minutes ago, joemac said:

Robby doesnt have a cap hit over 13 million for any of the next 3 years.  

12or 12.5 this year (can't remember)

13 next year

12 the following year. 

Please show the verified structure that has been released. Just because a guy on the internet guessed(poorly) doesn’t make it true. Once again, his cap hit was 12M before yesterday. How is adding 4.5M going to keep it the same? If not, how are the 2022-23 cap hits totaling 25M? Most reporters have no clue how to report on contracts. 

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Please show the verified structure that has been released. Just because a guy on the internet guessed(poorly) doesn’t make it true. Once again, his cap hit was 12M before yesterday. How is adding 4.5M going to keep it the same? If not, how are the 2022-23 cap hits totaling 25M? Most reporters have no clue how to report on contracts. 

His cap hit was not 12 mil before yesterday.  It was 8.  They added 4.5 to that to bring it to 12.5

3 minutes ago, joemac said:

His cap hit was not 12 mil before yesterday.  It was 8.  They added 4.5 to that to bring it to 12.5

It was??????

Current Contract

(UFA, signed 2020)

Year Cap
Number
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total $20,000,000
2020 $8,000,000    
2021 $12,000,000
$4,000,000
$8,000,000

4 minutes ago, Toomers said:

It was??????

Current Contract

(UFA, signed 2020)

Year Cap
Number
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total $20,000,000
2020 $8,000,000    
2021 $12,000,000
$4,000,000
$8,000,000

8 million dollar base salary.  8 million dollar signing bonus, spread out over 2 years of the contract, for a 12 million dollar cap hit prior to his new deal yesterday. 

Im not professing to being a contract or cap expert.  So I guess you're right.  I'm wrong. All I know is that they were saying yesterday at the time he signed it that his salary went from 8 mil this year to 12.5, as they added 4.5 to his salary this year.  Nowhere was it mentioned that his salary would be anywhere close to 16 mil this year. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/robby-anderson-19352/

Edited by joemac

3 minutes ago, joemac said:

8 million dollar base salary.  8 million dollar signing bonus, spread out over 2 years of the contract, for a 12 million dollar cap hit prior to his new deal yesterday. 

Exactly. So how are you proposing adding 4.5M to this year, thus making the others add up to only 25M. And it stays at 12 or 12.5M? You just typed out the hole in your theory. 

In your last two posts you have said the exact opposite in each. Nice. 

Edited by Toomers

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

Exactly. So how are you proposing adding 4.5M to this year, thus making the others add up to only 25M. And it stays at 12 or 12.5M? You just typed out the hole in your theory. 

In your last two posts you have said the exact opposite in each. Nice. 

OK.  Go back and reread my post.  Like I said, I guess you are right and I am wrong.  Does that make you happy?  I can admit when I am wrong.  And it doesn't really matter one way or another. 

Just now, joemac said:

OK.  Go back and reread my post.  Like I said, I guess you are right and I am wrong.  Does that make you happy?  I can admit when I am wrong.  And it doesn't really matter one way or another. 

And that was edited in after my response was written. So what was I supposed to think? You posted opposite statements like I just didn’t say the same thing. Then don’t bring up false info if it don’t matter. 

Just now, Jon Snow said:

He was going to get that for this season anyway.  

And he still has 4M of guaranteed signing bonus from his first contract. Just as was posted in the posts right before yours. His cap hit was 12M for this year BEFORE anything signed yesterday. 

Just now, stbugs said:

I wasn’t worried about cap. I was responding to someone acting like we are paying him less per year because we tore up the existing contract. At the end of the day we added two years to his current deal for $29.5. The cap/contract amount per year wrangling aside, we are still paying him an average of $14.75M per year extra for 2022 and 2023.

The funny thing is that cap rolls over so adding money to 2021 instead of 2022 is a wash because you are reducing the rollover by the same amount that you now have in extra 2022 room.

9FEFDA66-3533-4791-AB02-72436470447B.gif.c91248ff4400471abfbf50304101db50.gif

4 minutes ago, Toomers said:

And he still has 4M of guaranteed signing bonus from his first contract. Just as was posted in the posts right before yours. His cap hit was 12M for this year BEFORE anything signed yesterday. 

You seem to care more about how the books are kept than what the value of the contract is.  He is being paid an average salary of 12.5 mil a season for 3 seasons.  I'm not sure why you are focusing on his last contract is no longer in play.   The past signing bonus has already been paid.  I couldn't care less how its accounted for on paper.

Edited by Jon Snow