• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yahoo.com article: How Phil Snow turned the Panthers’ defense into the NFL’s new nightmare

BlitzMonster

3 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

The personnel will pretty much dictate what he can do. Last year he didn't have time to get these young guys ready from the jump. As the season went on and he had time to get them use to the pace aand flow of what he needed them to do you could see significant improvement in the defense.  He also didn't have much to work with. 

I agree to a point but not totally. I think he brought a lot of college stuff like the 3-5-3 and played conservatively given the lack of practice due to Covid and learning a new system. But he found out that pro quarterbacks eat up zones unless you get pressure. I think he saw last year what really worked for other defenses and we drafted players and acquired free agents to run a more aggressive scheme and he adapted things accordingly. We can say that he had this all figured out last year and just didn't have the people but that negates a lot of scheme problems that were apparent last year. I think Snow learned a lot as well in his first season as DC which he is putting in place. Just my 2 cents and I could be wrong 

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

I agree to a point but not totally. I think he brought a lot of college stuff like the 3-5-3 and played conservatively given the lack of practice due to Covid and learning a new system. But he found out that pro quarterbacks eat up zones unless you get pressure. I think he saw last year what really worked for other defenses and we drafted players and acquired free agents to run a more aggressive scheme and he adapted things accordingly. We can say that he had this all figured out last year and just didn't have the people but that negates a lot of scheme problems that were apparent last year. I think Snow learned a lot as well in his first season as DC which he is putting in place. Just my 2 cents and I could be wrong 

Agree to disagree.  I just think there is no way you run this role specific defense with the group he started with last season and no time to teach it.

• Pie 1

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Agree to disagree.  I just think there is no way you run this role specific defense with the group he started with last season and no time to teach it.

I already conceded that. What I didn't see was big adjustments as the season progressed which should have occurred if the only issue was lack of practice. We ran a prevent all season long. But again not going to focus on the past. He is running a great scheme so far.

Just now, panthers55 said:

I already conceded that. What I didn't see was big adjustments as the season progressed which should have occurred if the only issue was lack of practice. We ran a prevent all season long. But again not going to focus on the past. He is running a great scheme so far.

Dude, look at the defense.  Half of it has new players that are more capable of playing one on one. There's no coincidence they are playing it this season.  I just think you want to pigeon hole this are some revelation.  

Anyway,  I've said my peace so have at it.

6 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Dude, look at the defense.  Half of it has new players that are more capable of playing one on one. There's no coincidence they are playing it this season.  I just think you want to pigeon hole this are some revelation.  

Anyway,  I've said my peace so have at it.

Actually many of the guys are also back from last year but playing much better in a better scheme. Sure we have better talent but I don't think last year's scheme maximized the talent we did have. And that is all I am going to say about that .. 

35 minutes ago, FattyFatFat said:

Football seems like chess on a field with a ball. Great article. 

It really is at a high X's and O's level.  Did you know Robert Saleh was slightly below master level chess player when younger?  Play design comes down to a lot of 'this will beat that'.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

It really is at a high X's and O's level.  Did you know Robert Saleh was slightly below master level chess player when younger?  Play design comes down to a lot of 'this will beat that'.

Defensive play design is very different than offensive play design. Defense is more read and react while offense is usually more cerebral. For example many times a corner who doesn't have anyone on his side will crash down and blitz unless he is playing man and the corner follows the receiver.  It is an automatic read and react. It is chess for sure but usually the offense is more controlled and scripted while the defense is give em he'll and get after it.

• Pie 2

54 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

Had no idea. Much like chess, I understand very little about scheme especially when it comes to defense. I’m fascinated by it though. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1