• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Step Away From the Ledge - Growing Pains

SetfreexX

1 hour ago, SetfreexX said:

I want to start off by saying Rhule has screwed the pooch multiple times on the quarterback decisions. Cam >> Teddy >> Darnold >> Passing on Fields, or even Jones.

Each decision has been a lesson in regression, we went from a recently injured former NFL MVP, to a former end of the 1st round pick turned back up due to injury, to a former #3 overall bust. The Teddy decision wasn't as bad as it just involved money, the Darnold decision is 2x as poor as it tied up 3 picks, and nearly 20M in guaranteed salary. To be fair we recouped most of those picks as we brought in 11 rookies, and the missing 3rd is tied to CJ Henderson, a piece that gives us some flexibility when making cornerback extension decisions (Gilmore, & Jackson). 

Ok, that QB piece may not have helped with the ledge stepping so look at this:

In the 2020 season we had early on what looked like one of the worst defenses in the NFL, I think most would agree around the 3/4 mark of the season (around the GB game) you saw the young defense start to take shape after an unprecedented draft where we took nothing but defensive players. Fast forward to 2021 with that class supplanted by key FA acquisitions / time to grow we have one of the better defenses in the NFL on paper and in the stat sheets. 

Now currently in 2021, we are a laughing stock at the Quarterback position, and our OL is in shambles. However; a few things, we still have 7 picks, and we have the cap to not only retain our pending FA's but we have some cap available to attack OL in free agency. I fully anticipate to see 4-6 new OL heading into the 2022 season added via FA / draft. 

Quarterback is a bigger question, I think we end up with a veteran, I do not think Sam makes it after this season ends, he will get his 18.8M, or maybe there's some loophole to split the dead money that Sumir can find. I can't see a team pulling a DEN and actually trading anything for Sam, I'd be surprised if he signed anywhere once released. He's just a bad NFL QB. Maybe we try for Watson again, as the skill positions on offense are in place, and the defense is set up, and cap space of 90M+ is available to address the OL if we swing for the fences on him (legal matters pending).

The point is, even though he's failed at addressing the QB / OL -- the defense was turned around overnight, I think a similar makeover is coming for the OL / QB. 

I mean as BAD as Sam is, we eeked out 4 wins, and I think if we're honest, we all know if T2G was still here, or hell even Cam we're probably a 6-3 team versus 4-5. 

Stay patient, and #KeepPounding I don't think we're that far off from being a playoff contending team. 

I still have not figured out what, exactly do Rhule, Fitterer, Brady and Tepper actually WANT in their QB?  They poo-canned Cam with the quickness, bailed on Teddy after 1 season, got Darnold (LOL), passed on guys like Fields and Jones in the draft.  These guys make up examples of just about every different kind of QB out there. So, who exactly is the Rhule/Brady QB?  What type of player is he?  Do they want a mobile QB?  Do they want a gun slinger?  Do they want a game manager?  Everything just seems so all over the place.  Its maddening.