• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Step Away From the Ledge - Growing Pains

SetfreexX

I want to start off by saying Rhule has screwed the pooch multiple times on the quarterback decisions. Cam >> Teddy >> Darnold >> Passing on Fields, or even Jones.

Each decision has been a lesson in regression, we went from a recently injured former NFL MVP, to a former end of the 1st round pick turned back up due to injury, to a former #3 overall bust. The Teddy decision wasn't as bad as it just involved money, the Darnold decision is 2x as poor as it tied up 3 picks, and nearly 20M in guaranteed salary. To be fair we recouped most of those picks as we brought in 11 rookies, and the missing 3rd is tied to CJ Henderson, a piece that gives us some flexibility when making cornerback extension decisions (Gilmore, & Jackson). 

Ok, that QB piece may not have helped with the ledge stepping so look at this:

In the 2020 season we had early on what looked like one of the worst defenses in the NFL, I think most would agree around the 3/4 mark of the season (around the GB game) you saw the young defense start to take shape after an unprecedented draft where we took nothing but defensive players. Fast forward to 2021 with that class supplanted by key FA acquisitions / time to grow we have one of the better defenses in the NFL on paper and in the stat sheets. 

Now currently in 2021, we are a laughing stock at the Quarterback position, and our OL is in shambles. However; a few things, we still have 7 picks, and we have the cap to not only retain our pending FA's but we have some cap available to attack OL in free agency. I fully anticipate to see 4-6 new OL heading into the 2022 season added via FA / draft. 

Quarterback is a bigger question, I think we end up with a veteran, I do not think Sam makes it after this season ends, he will get his 18.8M, or maybe there's some loophole to split the dead money that Sumir can find. I can't see a team pulling a DEN and actually trading anything for Sam, I'd be surprised if he signed anywhere once released. He's just a bad NFL QB. Maybe we try for Watson again, as the skill positions on offense are in place, and the defense is set up, and cap space of 90M+ is available to address the OL if we swing for the fences on him (legal matters pending).

The point is, even though he's failed at addressing the QB / OL -- the defense was turned around overnight, I think a similar makeover is coming for the OL / QB. 

I mean as BAD as Sam is, we eeked out 4 wins, and I think if we're honest, we all know if T2G was still here, or hell even Cam we're probably a 6-3 team versus 4-5. 

Stay patient, and #KeepPounding I don't think we're that far off from being a playoff contending team. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

It's not just the cap to retain our FAs. You have to convince guys like Reddick and Gilmore to come back. Reddick started his press conference yesterday with "don't ask me about the offense".

We have to give those guys a reason to believe next year will be better or they will sign elsewhere for the same money we offer.

• Pie 1

In on everything minus Watson. The hand wringing and about to jump off a cliff people need to seriously chill out. Sam sucks. Accept that it is what is is. Coach Rhule bungled the qb spot. But he's done some really good things as well and I won't be surpised to see us come out blow for blow with Arizona. 

Yeah but why do we have confidence in our coach to make the right moves? We have two years of nothing but malpractice on offense. If he’s not fired then he’s on a game by game audition next season. Stop the bullshit with the process. We are largely looking worse each week.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, trueblade said:

It's not just the cap to retain our FAs. You have to convince guys like Reddick and Gilmore to come back. Reddick started his press conference yesterday with "don't ask me about the offense".

We have to give those guys a reason to believe next year will be better or they will sign elsewhere for the same money we offer.

I think you can resolve that with making a move at QB, keep in mind Reddick signed here KNOWING Darnold's NFL history as did everyone else. 

As long as the staff doesn't QUADRUPLE down on Darnold we will be moving on and building a better offense; whether it's via draft / trade / free agency.

Reddick is playing off of Brian, and last year played off of Jones, I don't see him as a primary guy, but he is excellent in his role and I think we will be compensating him as such with a good contract. 

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

In Pain Laughing GIF by Film Riot

Seriously do not want Watson. Also, everyone but Snow hasn't shown enough to earn any patients. They have the rest of the year, at least unless Tepper changes that. Prove it or GTFO and go back to school. 

I mean what did you honestly expect in a year and a half? Even ARI with Murray, if you want to look at CLE and Baker etc. all took 2-3 seasons, and we are even worse off at QB...

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

Yeah but why do we have confidence in our coach to make the right moves? We have two years of nothing but malpractice on offense. If he’s not fired then he’s on a game by game audition next season. Stop the bullshit with the process. We are largely looking worse each week.

Darnold looks worse each week, therefore the team does. I don't see how any intelligent person can look at the assembled roster and say this is not a good roster. 

QB / OL aside, this is a very good roster, and even the OL had 2 of the 5 spots settled until Paradis went down. They tired to address OL via trade no one was interested, if you go back and look there weren't many better options on the market over Erving / Elf. Then they opted not to reach in the draft and took a sure thing in Horn. 

I think they failed with the BLIND LOYALTY to Sam as they tried to create a PRESSURE free environment, but the QB is the player with the MOST pressure to succeed, so if he can't handle in house expectations, how could he handle them on gameday. Since then we have seen the result. 

10 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

I mean what did you honestly expect in a year and a half? Even ARI with Murray, if you want to look at CLE and Baker etc. all took 2-3 seasons, and we are even worse off at QB...

We are closer to another rebuild than this one being at all effective. We have a D and CMC for an offense when he is healthy. This offseason was a giant set back, Riddick being the gem of it all. This is the NFL, year 2 should show progress and not a giant regression. This last offseason was so bad it will effect this offseason because we gave away so much capital to be in a worse position at the end of the year. That's a huge problem. Still, if they want any respect of allowances, they better start earning it. 

Edit: And the fact you are comparing us to the Browns is also not a good endorsement but a real sad fact of where we are. 

Edited by Waldo

Darnold looks worse each week, therefore the team does. I don't see how any intelligent person can look at the assembled roster and say this is not a good roster. 

QB / OL aside, this is a very good roster, and even the OL had 2 of the 5 spots settled until Paradis went down. They tired to address OL via trade no one was interested, if you go back and look there weren't many better options on the market over Erving / Elf. Then they opted not to reach in the draft and took a sure thing in Horn. 

I think they failed with the BLIND LOYALTY to Sam as they tried to create a PRESSURE free environment, but the QB is the player with the MOST pressure to succeed, so if he can't handle in house expectations, how could he handle them on gameday. Since then we have seen the result. 

This is the QB and OL that we willingly chose. Why should we have any confidence that these same people can fix it? Rhule has mismanaged just about every decision he’s made on that side of the ball.  

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

This is the QB and OL that we willingly chose. Why should we have any confidence that these same people can fix it? Rhule has mismanaged just about every decision he’s made on that side of the ball.  

Name better FA acquisitions that were had at the OL position this offseason, people have already done the work the OL FA market in the ''affordable'' range was not good AT ALL. 

I'm not giving a pass on the QB's see the 1st paragraph, as far as the OL they signed who was available in a week free agency. 

People expecting some magical turn around after the way things ended with Rivera, Luke retiring, Olsen being released followed by Cam are disillusioned. 

It took them ONE year to fix the defense, and only Burns / Jackson are the real carry overs from Rivera / Hurney. 

We're halfway into year two, it hasn't even BEEN two years yet. I'm not a Rhule apologizer, but I can acknowledge the good / bad and remain objective / realistic. 

Their history projects to have this team in respectable shape heading into year 3. In my opinion they tried to skip / accelerate the QB development pieces by choosing younger, yet worse options than Cam.  

• Pie 1

Name better FA acquisitions that were had at the OL position this offseason, people have already done the work the OL FA market in the ''affordable'' range was not good AT ALL. 

I'm not giving a pass on the QB's see the 1st paragraph, as far as the OL they signed who was available in a week free agency. 

People expecting some magical turn around after the way things ended with Rivera, Luke retiring, Olsen being released followed by Cam are disillusioned. 

It took them ONE year to fix the defense, and only Burns / Jackson are the real carry overs from Rivera / Hurney. 

We're halfway into year two, it hasn't even BEEN two years yet. I'm not a Rhule apologizer, but I can acknowledge the good / bad and remain objective / realistic. 

Their history projects to have this team in respectable shape heading into year 3. In my opinion they tried to skip / accelerate the QB development pieces by choosing younger, yet worse options than Cam.  

Ok we will see about that. The offense is getting worse and not better and that’s a direct result of the second straight offseason where the wrong decisions were made on that side.