• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cooking-related: Paprika App for recipes

PanthersATL

If you are looking for a way to organize your recipes electronically, the Paprika app is on sale for up to 50% off through the end of November.

• Now $15 for the windows or mac version
  • $2.99 for the Android or iOS apps  (one iOS purchase can be installed on all iOS devices associated with that Apple account, helpful for dual iPhone/iPad users)
  • Google Play has a one-time $2 coupon this week for in-app purchases that are over $2, making the Android version just 99 cents

If you're into cooking and looking for a way to keep all your recipes in one place, Paprika is pretty darn good. It'll import most recipes automatically from your favorite food websites, allow you to scale the portion sizing up or down (and adjust ingredient list accordingly), set menu plans, categorize the recipes, etc. Cloud sync will sync all your recipes amongst your installed devices. 

At full price, it's a pretty good use of $5 for the app. It's even better value at half that.

• 2 months later...

Subscribe to cooks illustrated, download their app.

I cook every night...I mean, we may eat out once a month for dinner, and order in 1 night a month...the other 25+ nights, I'm cooking something really good.

Rarely go by anything written down at this point, but I have been living like this for over 15 years.  Start cooking at home and you will start losing weight and feeling better....guaranteed.

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Subscribe to cooks illustrated, download their app.

Paprika can import recipes from Cooks Illustrated and other online resources. While the CI app and website are fine on their own, having the ability to consolidate recipes in one place is a bonus.

agreed with the rest of what you said about cooking at home = better food overall.

16 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

Paprika can import recipes from Cooks Illustrated and other online resources. While the CI app and website are fine on their own, having the ability to consolidate recipes in one place is a bonus.

agreed with the rest of what you said about cooking at home = better food overall.

I think that CI's stuff is behind a paywall, but could be wrong.  I think it's a cool idea, but I've found that if I'm cooking something that's really complicated, I still like a hard version....maybe that's the age showing.

P.S.  If you are trying to get into cooking, and I recommend ALL of you younger guys do it, buy some good equipment.  Yes, it seems expensive, but most of the good stuff will last your lifetime, and not kill you with "non stick" crap. A 12" Stainless Steel All Clad pan.  All Clad SS pot with lid.  One really good chef knife (I prefer Japanese blades to European, but that's just me).  1 Lodge Cast Iron pan.  One Lodge Dutch Oven w/ lid.

P.S.S.  I encourage learning to be a good cook for 4 reasons.  Cheaper than eating out.  Healthier than eating out.  Better than eating out.  Chicks dig guys who can cook....a LOT.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:12 PM, thefuzz said:

I think that CI's stuff is behind a paywall, but could be wrong. 

It is behind a paywall.  But Paprika will import the recipe after you've logged into your account.

We've found Paprika to be useful for being able to scale a given recipe to different serving sizes automatically, as well as help with those "oh, what do I need to buy" moments at the grocery store instead of having to pull up all those different cooking websites that we normally frequent. 

It's a great consolidator.

Agree with your equipment commentary, but there's nothing wrong with having a single non-stick pan handy (like the 8" version in the "restaurant equipment" section of the local Sams Club)  

Plus, cooking can be fun.