• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Throw out all the rules"

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

exactly.  He was projected by scouts as a backup even though he had elite athletic testing and elite production.  What does that tell you?  Use some logic, the entire league had doubts about his measurables.

Yes, scouts do factor in level of competition when looking at the production aspect of the evaluation puzzle, but that alone didn't drop him that much.

Here again, I think it's stupid we aren't playing him at LT, lets see what he can do, what do we have to lose at this point but i think all of this "arm length talk" has kind of took a life of its own.  I've got bigger issues with Rhule than that comment.

If he would have said his physical traits are better suited for guard then I don't think people would have been so upset or it would have been as big of a deal.  Honestly most of the league agrees with that.

Personally, I thought he was a really good prospect at LG, with some of his quickness.  I know if he can be an average LT that would be an upgrade for us but personally, I thought his best chance of being elite was at LG.  I think the fan base would have been ok with that if we would have just committed to something.

It tells me that you think you know a lot more than you actually demonstrate you do.

But by all means, if you're certain every team that passed on him did so for the same reason, you should have no trouble finding evidence of this, right?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It tells me that you think you know a lot more than you actually demonstrate you do.

But by all means, if you're certain every team that passed on him did so for the same reason, you should have no trouble finding evidence of this, right?

a lot of the same type of draft profiles that you referenced said the same thing I'm saying.  I'm sure you saw his arm length referenced in those same articles.

Also, I'm not saying every team passed on him just because they only looked at the arm length number in a vacuum.  Arm length is part of a player's physical traits.  Alot of teams had doubts about his ability to translate to LT at the NFL level because of his physical traits, that really isn't debatable.  It wasn't because of his production at the college, it was great, It wasn't because of his testing, it was great.  

His level of competition hurt some, his age hurt some also, maybe his interviews were terrible, but mostly they had their doubts about him having the physical tools for LT.  They just don't go around specifically referencing arm length to the press like Rhule.

5 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I'm not saying every team passed on him just because they only looked at the arm length number in a vacuum.  

What you actually said...

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

He probably had the best college tape of any of the OT prospects.  Why did 32 teams pass on him multiple times?

It's because of arm length.  

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

If he had some of the best tape in all of college football at the LT positions what else could it be?

Also his athletic testing numbers were elite.

The only thing left were his measurables.

So...yeah.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Mentioned elsewhere that Lady Cowboy Fan got me a book called "Scout Speak" by Neil Stratton of "Inside the League" for Christmas. It's about learning how NFL scouts evaluate talent.

IMG_20211226_103156558.thumb.jpg.ef9e25e24baacdca7cec3dc03345cf5b.jpg

Here's one of the first paragraphs in the book, Stratton explaining some of the core things he's learned in twenty years of scouting experience...

1. Throw out all the rules No matter what any scout says, there are none. As a fan, or as a young football professional, you will be told certain positions have to be certain sizes run certain speeds or have certain production. Maybe, maybe not. Scouting is, was, and always will be highly subjective. Trends, popularity, which players are deemed to be "safe" at what rounds, etc., matter far more to most teams and their scouts than they'd like to admit. But none of that matters...

I'd like to add "arm length" to that list of crap that doesn't mean anything 😕

Stratton goes on to explain why and add in some other cool insights into the scouting world.

With a forward by Jeff Ireland that includes some good behind the scenes stories, this is definitely a book I can tell I'm going to enjoy.

And throw in that right out of the gate, it says something about Matt Rhule's rules.

Everyone subscribes to a certain amount of traits they believe in. Long armed tackles, and long armed corners to name a few. Does not mean anything as an inditement against Rhule. Man I used to think you knew what you were talking about. More and more, you’re just a hater. Sad really. 

Just now, Actionman0z said:

Everyone subscribes to a certain amount of traits they believe in. Long armed tackles, and long armed corners to name a few. Does not mean anything as an inditement against Rhule. Man I used to think you knew what you were talking about. More and more, you’re just a hater. Sad really. 

Yeah, I'm sure Rhule is a genius.

Guess it's just bad luck we're losing so much, huh?

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, I'm sure Rhule is a genius.

Guess it's just bad luck we're losing so much, huh?

No. Rhule is far from it. However using this book and a statement made in it to prove Rhule is wrong about things is also vastly exaggerated and desperate. We can all clearly see the product on the field is not good… it’s a mix of coaching and execution for sure.. not all on Rhule. I really wish things were different. Look at that stumble by Abdullah as a summation of the season. 

1 minute ago, Actionman0z said:

No. Rhule is far from it. However using this book and a statement made in it to prove Rhule is wrong about things is also vastly exaggerated and desperate. We can all clearly see the product on the field is not good… it’s a mix of coaching and execution for sure.. not all on Rhule. I really wish things were different. Look at that stumble by Abdullah as a summation of the season. 

Uh huh...sure 😐

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

What you actually said...

So...yeah.

you get so literal.

Arm length is part of a players physical traits.

Are you saying his physical traits aren't the main reason he fell?

You are quick to criticize but you never ever give an opinion unless its after the fact and you know the results.

What was the biggest knock in league circles concerning BC about playing LT during the draft????

You know the answer but you won't say it because it backs up everything I just said.

Just now, AU-panther said:

you get so literal.

Arm length is part of a players physical traits.

Are you saying his physical traits aren't the main reason he fell?

You are quick to criticize but you never ever give an opinion unless its after the fact and you know the results.

What was the biggest knock in league circles concerning BC about playing LT during the draft????

You know the answer but you won't say it because it backs up everything I just said.

I shouldn't take you at your own word?

Okay 😐

Again, the draft profiles I read on Christensen had him rated as a backup, and not strictly based on measurables.

As far as why he "fell" (which I'm not sure is accurate anyway given that he was drafted about where a lot of people projected him) that's something only the teams know. We can make assumptions, but we don't really know.

What we do know is that besides Stratton, there are more than a few NFL analysts who think Matt Rhule's comments about Brady Christensen are basically dopey and provide evidence that he doesn't know what he's doing.

But defend away if it's what you wish...

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I shouldn't take you at your own word?

Okay 😐

Again, the draft profiles I read on Christensen had him rated as a backup, and not strictly based on measurables.

As far as why he "fell" (which I'm not sure is accurate anyway given that he was drafted about where a lot of people projected him) that's something only the teams know. We can make assumptions, but we don't really know.

What we do know is that besides Stratton, there are more than a few NFL analysts who think Matt Rhule's comments about Brady Christensen are basically dopey and provide evidence that he doesn't know what he's doing.

But defend away if it's what you wish...

and again you deflect, you know good and well the biggest knock during the draft process concerning his ability to play LT at the NFL level was his physical traits.  I'm not saying that is smart its just the way it was.

Slater had the same issue, some teams saw him more of a guard, a lot of people look stupid now.  

It was doopey the way Rhule said it, the fact he specifically referenced just the arm length.  I seriously doubt that's the only reason they don't think he is suited for LT, fans hear statements like that and take it very literal and run with it.  

The fact he signed Erving and Elflein the first week of free agency actually gives me more concern, but I actually said that when it happened.