• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Burns

Dory

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think it's a size thing as much as it's a mentality thing. Stopping the run in football is a lot like rebounding in basketball. Sure, there's absolutely technique involved, but it's a lot of will and want to as well. Burns is a finesses edge rusher. That's just who he is. Jason Taylor had a more slender build than Burns but he could still set the edge vs. the run. Burns CAN too. He just has to want to. He's gotta play with the same vigor when he's setting the edge as when he's getting after the QB or pursuing the run. In short, he's great as a pursuit run defender but he's poor as an edge setter and I think it has more to do with mentality than physical tools.

That sounds about right. I don’t get to see every play, so I’m sure that’s a big part. He needs a strong 5 tech beside him taking on the T leaving him to work against TEs. 

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think it's a size thing as much as it's a mentality thing. Stopping the run in football is a lot like rebounding in basketball. Sure, there's absolutely technique involved, but it's a lot of will and want to as well. Burns is a finesses edge rusher. That's just who he is. Jason Taylor had a more slender build than Burns but he could still set the edge vs. the run. Burns CAN too. He just has to want to. He's gotta play with the same vigor when he's setting the edge as when he's getting after the QB or pursuing the run. In short, he's great as a pursuit run defender but he's poor as an edge setter and I think it has more to do with mentality than physical tools.

I agree with this. I also think how is is used in Snow's scheme sometimes exacerbates his troubles setting the edge. Because of his versatility he is asked to drop back too often, as opposed to rushing or setting the edge depending on the play call. It makes it hard to really improve in something if you aren't asked to do it as much.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I can't agree on the "remarkably stout run defender" part.  When you run power concepts right at home he struggles to set the edge. Speed or zone concepts he's much better at defending primarily because he seems to always be looking to make the tackle himself. Sometimes as a lineman against the run you have to sacrifice and eat up that blocked and rely on the guys behind you to make the play because if you don't then that lineman is going to get downfield and that's when you get gashed.

Right you are!