• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reacher - On Amazon

Datawire

So, I read the first book about halfway through. I liked it a lot, I went through things known as life and didn't pick it back up again but I wanted to. It was good.

Saw it was on Amazon as a tv serires, and thought, why not?  What I have learned in three episodes, so far. Take NCIS, Criminal Minds, Law and Order, Law and Order SVU, and toss in a bit of Columbo and a sprinkle of Murder she wrote. Tie all of those together with a 6' 4' 265 lb lead with the acting skills of a pet rock and lean back in your executive chair and pop the cork of intellectual success. Correction, ineffectual success.

To be fair I am only three episodes in, but so far I have seen better writing on the side of an iodine bottle. This would be better served aired on the CW.

Harsh criticism I know so far, I could be absolutely wrong. What say you fine folk?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, thefuzz said:

I thought it was very similar to the way he actually is in the book.

Tom Cruise's version is totally different than the books.

I enjoyed it, ready for Jack Ryan to come back though, that show was entertaining to me.

In the book, from the half I read, I would agree with you in regards to how he actually is. However, in the tv series the actor lacks the depth of the Jack Reacher I was familiar with. Maybe that is my disconnect.

I have made it to episode four now, and I still have the same feeling from the OP, and that is on me. I haven't enjoyed it yet. Mindless entertainment as @Pejorative Miscreant put it earlier, I can see that. Yeah.

It just isn't coming across as anticipated in regards to what I read before. But, that can be true with any book to film I suppose.

Yeah  @thefuzz I am more looking to see Jack Ryan. Two Jacks! That's a good hand in poker. Well, at least 20% haha

11 hours ago, Datawire said:

In the book, from the half I read, I would agree with you in regards to how he actually is. However, in the tv series the actor lacks the depth of the Jack Reacher I was familiar with. Maybe that is my disconnect.

I have made it to episode four now, and I still have the same feeling from the OP, and that is on me. I haven't enjoyed it yet. Mindless entertainment as @Pejorative Miscreant put it earlier, I can see that. Yeah.

It just isn't coming across as anticipated in regards to what I read before. But, that can be true with any book to film I suppose.

Yeah  @thefuzz I am more looking to see Jack Ryan. Two Jacks! That's a good hand in poker. Well, at least 20% haha

I thought he was bland on purpose in the books, but he is an investigator at the end of the day who can really handle himself.  Loner, doesn't talk much, and has even fewer friends.

I was sick for a couple days in a row recently, watched them all and sat in the recliner, it's not addicting to me, but I was out of stuff to watch...more mind numbing TV, but with a good plot.

The acting took me a while, and I never thought it got good, but not unbearable.

• Pie 1

On 2/25/2022 at 10:38 AM, thefuzz said:

I thought he was bland on purpose in the books, but he is an investigator at the end of the day who can really handle himself.  Loner, doesn't talk much, and has even fewer friends.

I was sick for a couple days in a row recently, watched them all and sat in the recliner, it's not addicting to me, but I was out of stuff to watch...more mind numbing TV, but with a good plot.

The acting took me a while, and I never thought it got good, but not unbearable.

Pay attention to the scenes when he was a kid. He was raised hard military and his brother took care of him. He's not bland as much as overly cautious.

12 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Pay attention to the scenes when he was a kid. He was raised hard military and his brother took care of him. He's not bland as much as overly cautious.

I agree, bland was the wrong word.

Guarded, weary of those around him...listen twice as much as you talk...would almost be boring to most folks...were it not for his size.