• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No Team has won the Super Bowl in 20+ years with their QB taking up more than 12.6% of the salary cap

Ricky Spanish

8 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That’s a great comeback and yet it isn’t. Not a hard article to read. Hard to feel confident about the writing when they say the line in bolded italics:

Where Do Matthew Stafford & Joe Burrow Stand?

This year’s final two QBs certainly fall in line with the trends, as Matthew Stafford’s $20M cap figure in LA represents 10.96% of the league cap, while Joe Burrow’s 2nd year figure calculcates to just 4.51%. If Burrow were to win the Super Bowl, the median figure for winning QBs since 2011 will drop to 8.8%, falling underthe median for losing QBs (which would increase to 9.07%).

And also mention how much the Rams spent on QBs in 2021. I mean your stats are useless when Stafford’s numbers this year take no account of the Rams basically trading cap space for Goff and Stafford. It’s easy to fit Stafford under their threshold without counting his bonus money that’s eaten by Detroit and Goff’s eaten money doesn’t count either.

It’s a goofy number because it’s easy to push off cap space till later years and teams that are contenders are likely to push out QB cap space because it’s typically the largest contract on the team. It’s like the Saints pushing out Brees’ cap hits so they could sign more people to compete.

You're right, it isn't hard to read, but if you actually read it, you'd know that they address the Stafford Goff thing at the end of the article:

BUT WAIT

We spent so much time this year discussing the Carson Wentz situation & how he left a $33M dent on the Eagles' salary cap this year, but we've glossed over how the Ram's have not only been in a similar situation - but with far bigger numbers.

If we include ALL QB cap hits for 2021 (active, reserve list, practice squad, & dead cap), the Rams hold the most Quarterback cap in the NFL by a wide margin. In fact, the $46.2M allocated to Rams' QBs in 2021 is the 2nd most of all-time, behind the 2020 Colts. ($56.5M), who were still reeling from Andrew Luck's retirement, a careless Jacoby Brissett extension, & a cup of coffee for Philip Rivers

This of course was written before the super bowl and the Rams went on to be the first team in 20+ years to win it with 25% of their cap allocated to the QB position.

They also have probably the second best defensive player of all time on their defense, OPOTY in Cooper Kupp, and a top 5 head coach/football mind in the NFL.

We have Matt Rhule.

The Rams, we ain't. 

35 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Love Cam on and off the field. He did so much for the Charlotte community and had zero off field issues. I could care less how the man dresses. He uses fashion to express himself, which is fine by me. 

Exactly, brother.

I don't care if he wears a goddam corset and a fugging tu-tu, he's my fugging QB.

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Watson's Cap hit % next season = 19.4%

The prorated portion of Watson's contract doesn't come with him.  I have no idea why the Texans were choosing to eat $17M as a roster bonus in 2023.  Convert that to a signing bonus and you are under the threshold for 2023 and 2024 and most likely 2025.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

The prorated portion of Watson's contract doesn't come with him.  I have no idea why the Texans were choosing to eat $17M as a roster bonus in 2023.  Convert that to a signing bonus and you are under the threshold for 2023 and 2024 and most likely 2025.

If that is true, then that would put us in a much better position next year and moving forward. 

Will still be difficult missing picks in the first few rounds. Really interested to see everything we have to give up to get him.