• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Next year’s QB crop is better. Let’s wait until then.

ncfan

47 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

To be fair, outside of Lawrence everyone tried to say this exact same thing at this point last year.  At this time last year Howell and Rattler were considered cant miss prospects.

This is exactly right. Every year the next class looks good or better. Until the season comes then they dissect it and find all the blemishes with every prospect. Rattler was can't miss Howell as well.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

That’s not a problem with this line of thinking. We are thinking properly about the future of the team. If Rhule is drafting to save his ass, that just means Tepper and us fans will end up disappointed again. It doesn’t mean we didn’t have the right strategy. I wanted to tank in 2020, basically getting all the comp picks we could, don’t spend FA money and let Grier guide us to a new QB (and go OL heavy as well). It didn’t happen but it doesn’t mean it wasn’t the right call, it was.

Yes WE as fans. Fans aren't the ones with their jobs on the line is my point. While your strategy works if the plan is long term. Rhule who we last heard has roster control and say so there is no future. He has to win now... tanking or next years draft class doesn't save his job this year.

Which is the problem with this line of thinking is my point.

There’s an insane amount of revisionist history going on in this thread. The 2022 class was widely expected to be a bad QB class. John Lynch even said it played a role in their decision to trade up for Lance at the time. Howell and Rattler were looked at as the prime guys in the class at the time, but nowhere near the level of any of the top 4 from 2021 as prospects.

2 minutes ago, BlueBuck24 said:

There’s an insane amount of revisionist history going on in this thread. The 2022 class was widely expected to be a bad QB class. John Lynch even said it played a role in their decision to trade up for Lance at the time. Howell and Rattler were looked at as the prime guys in the class at the time, but nowhere near the level of any of the top 4 from 2021 as prospects.

It was acknowledge that both Rattler and Howell needed to progress significantly before they were anointed as top prospects. 

If Young or Stroud were in this class teams would be jockeying to move up to #1 to select one.  Stroud is incredible.

Edited by mrcompletely11

Just now, stbugs said:

Then what’s the point of posting? The Panthers might not draft Willis because he’s a bit raw so why do you keep pumping him? We are fans so we like to discuss stuff even if we disagree. It keeps it interesting to think we could have a stud LT and maybe a stud QB. It keeps it interesting for you that maybe we could end up with Willis. It’s not fun to say let’s assume Rhule is drafting to win in 2022 because we aren’t that lucky for that to somehow work out perfect.

Its obsession is bizarre and borderline creepy

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Then what’s the point of posting? The Panthers might not draft Willis because he’s a bit raw so why do you keep pumping him? We are fans so we like to discuss stuff even if we disagree. It keeps it interesting to think we could have a stud LT and maybe a stud QB. It keeps it interesting for you that maybe we could end up with Willis. It’s not fun to say let’s assume Rhule is drafting to win in 2022 because we aren’t that lucky for that to somehow work out perfect.

In this specific instance I didn't mention Willis. I'm not even discussing that. What my point is Rhule is playing for his Job this season. He doesn't have a wait on a qb next year and hope he has the number 1 pick to land one of those guys. He has what he has THIS year.

We can be fans and discuss what we want. I'm just being realistic and saying if your rhule and you have to win or make the playoffs does waiting on a qb til next year save your job? Do you even care about the Panthers future picks? I think he's more likely to draft a guy and trade back up into the first than bank on next years crop of qbs.

Edited by micnificent28

8 minutes ago, stbugs said:

You brought up Willis not me...

Just now, micnificent28 said:

In this specific instance I didn't mention Willis. I'm not even discussing that. What my point is Rhule is playing for his Job this season. He doesn't have a wait on a qb next year and hope he has the number 1 pick to land one of those guys. He has what he has THIS year.

We can can be fans and discuss what we want. I'm just being realistic and saying if your rhule and you have to win or make the playoffs does waiting on a qb til next year save your job? Do you even care about the Panthers future picks? I think he's more likely to draft a guy and trade back up into the first than bank on next years crop of qbs.

one thing you refuse to acknowledge or understand is that Pickett and more importantly willis isnt going to win enough games to save his job.  His best chance is hoping 5th Darnold turns it around. 

Draft pickett and I doubt he beats out darnold initially.  Draft Willis and that kid isnt even going to play for at least a year. 

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

one thing you refuse to acknowledge or understand is that Pickett and more importantly willis isnt going to win enough games to save his job.  His best chance is hoping 5th Darnold turns it around. 

Draft pickett and I doubt he beats out darnold initially.  Draft Willis and that kid isnt even going to play for at least a year. 

I don't know where the idea of Willis won't play this year comes from. That's a old 20 years ago mantra that is just outdated. These young qbs mostly are playing right away. The way NFL offenses have changed to mimick the college game rpos read option whatever you could get production right away. Especially* the way rhule wants to be a run first team. His throwing ability isn't nearly as bad as you all seem to think.

Pickett of course look ready to go and probably would make the better reads and hit the open throws. But there is ceiling on what he can do. He can't make the wow throws. If I'm playing it safe and My team needs a game Manger I go Pickett. You a gambling man need a home run I go Willis.

As I have said My preference talent wise is Icky, Neal, and then WIllis. 

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The Texans basically started Davis Mills all season who isnt nearly as talented as Willis.... he at worst wouldn't look any worse than Zac Wilson or Trevor Lawrence for that matter. These young qbs are learning on the job. Right or wrong they are playing. You already want to lean on a run heavy offense the idea a guy also who helps your run game won't play is absurd.

I also think if Rhule drafts a young qb who shows promise for next season that also might save his job and extend his life just on potential hope for next season.  If he doesn't draft a qb and loses or misses the playoffs he's toast.

Edited by micnificent28

1 minute ago, micnificent28 said:

The Texans basically started Davis Mills all season who isnt nearly as talented as Willis.... he at worst wouldn't look any worse than Zac Wilson or Trevor Lawrence for that matter. These young qbs are learning on the job. Right or wrong they are playing. You already want to lean on a run heavy offense the idea a guy also who helps your run game won't play is absurd.

Talent has nothing to do with it.  There is not one scout not one evaluation that says Willis is ready to step in and start in his rookie year.   There is so much for him to work on to get up to speed.   So many variables. 

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Talent has nothing to do with it.  There is not one scout not one evaluation that says Willis is ready to step in and start in his rookie year.   There is so much for him to work on to get up to speed.   So many variables. 

FPnet8GX0AYYhSD.png.9efed21342d9d7c61a4cdf77ef8801d4.pngsounds like he can play year 1 if needed 2 me...

Edited by micnificent28

22 hours ago, ncfan said:

I’ve heard this from bunch of people for people arguing not to draft one this year.

there are 2 QBs that are looked to be The guys next year.  Everyone is a crapshoot like this years.

the Eagles just gathered a to  of draft capital for 2023 and 2024 (3 1s and 3 2s between 2023 and 2024) And it sounds like they are pretty enamored with next years QBs as well.

I’d expect they will take one of those 2.  The Dolphins also have gathered quiet a few picks next year as well.  And if Tua struggles more.  They may be eyeing one.  They weren’t shy about being all in on Watson this fall.

Giants have already made it known they are shopping pick 5 and will most likely try to add capital to replace a Daniel Jones in 2023.

so point is.  There are more than just us who may be looking at one of those top guys.  But we don’t have near the ammo to get into a bidding war.

so skip QB again this year, eyeing one of those guys next year.  We may have to completely bottom out getting a top 2 pick next year to have a shot.

It just doesn't work like that..... how difficult is it to understand that...... players and coaches play to win EVERY game, they don't play to lose. You draft EACH YEAR to improve quality of the team with the goal of getting better and win more games 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CardiacCat said:

It just doesn't work like that..... how difficult is it to understand that...... players and coaches play to win EVERY game, they don't play to lose. You draft EACH YEAR to improve quality of the team with the goal of getting better and win more games 

This.... peoples jobs and families are on the line this year.. people thinking like fans think rhule can afford to ignore needs and tepper will accept losing just because this year's class sucks.

Edited by micnificent28