• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN story on Sam Mills

ladypanther

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34161230/how-underdog-sam-mills-became-hall-famer

Capers had a plan when he was named coach of the expansion Panthers in 1995 -- and it began with Mills.

"The first guy I thought of to be the face of the franchise and set the tone for what I wanted our team to be like and look like was Sam,'' Capers said. "He had all the qualities you look for in a football player. And on top of that, he was even a better person and a better leader.

Mills had to prove himself all over again when he followed coach Jim Mora and assistants like Vic Fangio, Dom Capers and Skipper from the Stars to New Orleans in 1986. Even with their blessing, Mills wasn't signed until a week into training camp. And former Saints quarterback Bobby Hebert said some teammates were "mocking" the signing at first.

"Look at Mora bringing in one of his boys from the USFL," Hebert mimicked.

Even Mora and Fangio admitted they weren't sure how well Mills would perform when he stepped into his first 9-on-7 run drill back in those days of full-contact practices.

"I'll remember this day forever," Mora said. "Sam gets in the huddle, and I'm telling ya, he looks short to me standing next to these guys. I'm not gonna lie. And I can imagine what some of them were thinking. And I'm standing there watching and saying to myself, 'C'mon Sam, you can do it buddy.'

"Sam steps up and stuffs the guard -- just stuffs him -- and makes the tackle. Well he doesn't only do it this one time, he does it about four or five times. And by the time that drill was over, I know this for a fact, all the players said, 'Holy s---.'

"Fangio said he was standing about 10 yards away from Mora when it happened, "and we made eye contact and just smiled at each other."

"It was embarrassing," Hebert recalled. "We'd do 12 plays, and it was like minus-14 yards."

Mills made a similar impression on opponents. Hebert said he'll never forget the time Hall of Fame running back Eric Dickerson stayed behind in New Orleans after a game because he was friends with Saints linebacker Rickey Jackson. And Dickerson came to the practice facility because he wanted to "see this little guy" who delivered one of the hardest hits he'd ever taken.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

One of the best articles I have seen on ESPN in a long time. 

I am the same age as Sam and remember watching him in the USFL and with the Saints.  The Saints were perennial losers when I was a teenager.  Never really any good and though I was a Giant fan, after Baltimore left for Indy, I was always a fan of underdog teams and thoroughly enjoyed watching the Doom Patrol play.  Especially Sam.  Truly a beast and though small he stood out every game I saw.

When he came to Carolina I was ecstatic because I knew our defense was going to be good along with the other great players we picked up defensively.  We needed a leader on defense and he was the perfect fit for a startup team. 

He was great with N.O. but his legacy grew with us.    

I can't wait to see him enshrined. 

@ladypanther Thanks for the post. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3