• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thursday Panthers Camp Updates

Zod

1 minute ago, Jared Patterson said:

Why were we the only suitors if he is so good?

He's an average QB so far.  Everybody else has a great QB or is hoping to develop theirs.   We had Sam Darnold.

As for the "tank for Stroud",  or "tank for Young" strategy, I'm not a fan.   

The Bills, Bucks, Rams, Chiefs, Broncos, Pats, 9ers, Cowboys, Packers and Eagles did not tank for the QB's.  They seem ok.

The Jets, Jags and  Browns tanked for QB's.  It didn't work out for them.

1 minute ago, Jared Patterson said:

No it doesn't at all....

Bakers reputation in the locker room, recent injuries, sub-par play in 2019/2021, and the Browns dragging their feet on closing a deal, left the Panthers as the only suitors allowing us to dictate terms.

3 minutes ago, poundaway said:

He's an average QB so far.  Everybody else has a great QB or is hoping to develop theirs.   We had Sam Darnold.

As for the "tank for Stroud",  or "tank for Young" strategy, I'm not a fan.   

The Bills, Bucks, Rams, Chiefs, Broncos, Pats, 9ers, Cowboys, Packers and Eagles did not tank for the QB's.  They seem ok.

The Jets, Jags and  Browns tanked for QB's.  It didn't work out for them.

Still TBD about Jets and Trevor is a beast that was Urban Myer and a worse owner than ours fault. Also imo the Jags have the worst GM in the NFL

4 minutes ago, poundaway said:

But why were we the only suitors? What makes us different from the rest of the teams in the league? Are you saying we like sub par QB play/injured QBs  and bad locker room guys? Again, why just us? You aren't explaining why other teams weren't interested you just said" it left the Panthers."Whats the difference between us and the rest of the league? I don't understand what you are trying to get across.

Edited by Jared Patterson

3 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

Still TBD about Jets and Trevor is a beast that was Urban Myer and a worse owner than ours fault. Also imo the Jags have the worst GM in the NFL

The Bengals have the worst GM in the NFL.  Daddy gave the little brat the team and he has been playing GM ever since.

The tanking strategy worked  in that case.  Its not the only path though.

Edited by poundaway

2 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

But why were we the only suitors? What makes us different from the rest of the teams in the league? Are you saying we like sub par QB play/injured QBs  and bad locker room guys? Again, why just us? Whats the difference between us and the rest of the league? I don't understand what you are trying to get across.

Sigh

Bakers reputation in the locker room, recent injuries, sub-par play in 2019/2021, and the Browns dragging their feet on closing a deal, left the Panthers as the only suitors allowing us to dictate terms.

3 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Sigh

Can you explain why other teams weren't interested instead of sending the same message? I guess you are saying we are the only ones to stoop to that level, which I completely agree w you in that case. The real reason (which I think you know) is out of desperation by a coach to save his job....

5 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

The Jets tanked for Sam and lost 5 years in the process:  1 year tanking, 3 with Sam, 1 year developing Wilson, that's assuming that  the BYU QB pans out.

2 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

Can you explain why other teams weren't interested instead of sending the same message? I guess you are saying we are the only ones to stoop to that level, which I completely agree w you in that case.

The other teams were not interested because

1)Baker has a bad reputation in the locker room
2)He was injured a lot of last season so we don't know if he will return to form
3)He is up and down.  He had  sub-par play in 2019/2021
4)The Browns dragged their feet.  We offered more during the draft.  They thought they could get more.
5)Other teams felt they had a better QB or are still developing a QB they drafted.

There it is numbered,  essentially the exact same thing I've been saying.

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

The Jets tanked for Sam and lost 5 years in the process:  1 year tanking, 3 with Sam, 1 year developing Wilson, that's assuming that  the BYU QB pans out.

Not saying we should tank. I am saying we should force Rhule to let it play out w the QB he traded a fortune to instead of trading more assets for what his 5th try at QB? And if you have the right leadership, gm and coach in place you should be able to draft the right guy! Its also a pretty darn loaded class next year. I am hoping Corral can develop so we don't necessarily have to take one. 

4 minutes ago, poundaway said:

The other teams were not interested because

1)Baker has a bad reputation in the locker room
2)He was injured a lot of last season so we don't know if he will return to form
3)He is up and down.  He had  sub-par play in 2019/2021
4)The Browns dragged their feet.  We offered more during the draft.  They thought they could get more.
5)Other teams felt they had a better QB or are still developing a QB they drafted.

There it is numbered,  essentially the exact same thing I've been saying.

Okay thank you, so we agree we are the only team to stoop to that level out of desperation. That was all I was trying to say. Probably not a good sign.... but we didn't pay too much although drafting a qb w a third round (if it doesn't work out) pick and giving up a 5th for someone that we know won't be apart of the future is a bigger deal than people think. 

Just now, Jared Patterson said:

Not saying we should tank. I am saying we should force Rhule to let it play out w the QB he traded a fortune to instead of trading more assets for what his 5th try at QB? And if you have the right leadership, gm and coach in place you should be able to draft the right guy! Its also a pretty darn loaded class next year. I am hoping Corral can develop so we don't necessarily have to take one. 

A future 2nd and 4th is not a fortune.  In terms of pay, Sam was 10 million a year.

I absolutely do not want to watch another year of Sam.