• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Center now an area of concern?

kungfoodude

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

Me, too. Me, too.

If this one doesn't work out, though, we need to draft center first next season. We'll never be able to coach up a franchise QB if he doesn't have a center that he can depend on. 

Things like this are why I don't like getting cute in the draft. Just get the guy you need to get. We need a center. We've needed a center. Don't try and screw NO out of taking TMJ. Just get your center. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

i dont think in the scenario I just described he would have 3 straight losing seasons..? I believe I just stated if he got the team to playoffs this year with the schedule we have.... he should get a 4th year.. I dont think you can get to the playoffs this year with a losing record.

Yeah, I was mistaking your first sentence and second sentence for the same scenario.

If we did make the playoffs(with a winning record and not back in at 8-9), I think he will be back. Not sure I personally would bring him back but I would understand bringing him back.

Much like you said, I don't see that as a real possibility of happening. I figure we will be somewhere in the 5-8 win range.

• Pie 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I was mistaking your first sentence and second sentence for the same scenario.

If we did make the playoffs(with a winning record and not back in at 8-9), I think he will be back. Not sure I personally would bring him back but I would understand bringing him back.

Much like you said, I don't see that as a real possibility of happening. I figure we will be somewhere in the 5-8 win range.

The wild card here is David Tepper.

Even if we went 4-12 or worse, would it really surprise you all that much if Tepper decided Rhule just needed another year to get things going?

I mean, Jay-Z needed at least seven years to build Rome in a day, right? 😖

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

The wild card here is David Tepper.

Even if we went 4-12 or worse, would it really surprise you all that much if Tepper decided Rhule just needed another year to get things going?

I mean, Jay-Z needed at least seven years to build Rome in a day, right? 😖

I know. I am concerned about that, as well.

I do think he is aware enough of how he is viewed and will get to hear the chorus of boos and see the empty stands. I think he will realize he can't just let that continue.

4 hours ago, Pakmeng said:

I agree with whoever said that McAdoo and Campen should be able to navigate Elfein fir a game if needed. He's been serviceable there in the past.

Get Mays up to speed too.

From the Five Things to Watch at New England: Assessing for depth article:

"Mays also got some more work at center in Wednesday's practice, so the Panthers have options to show against New England."

12 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Well why should he get another year? What NFL coach has had three straight losing seasons to start their career and then suddenly built a contending team? 

Well...

Most SB winning coaches have won out of the gate, or at most 1 losing season, before turning their SB winning franchise into a contender.

Winning seasons out of the gate: Vince Lombardi, Hank Stram, Don McCafferty, Don Shula, John Madden, Tom Flores, Joe Gibbs, George Seifert, Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, Brian Billick, John Gruden, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, John Harbaugh, Gary Kubiak, Andy Reid, and Sean McVay.

1 losing season before contending: Mike Ditka, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Tom Coughlin, Doug Pederson, and Bruce Arians.

The exceptions to this are Pete Carroll, Dick Vermeil, Jimmy Johnson, and Bill Walsh with only 2 losing seasons before having a winning team. Three of these coaches had their QB in place year 1.

3 Chuck Noll, Weeb Ewbank

5 Tom Landry

Walsh and Johnson had their SB QBs in place their first year. Carroll and Noll had their SB QBs by year 2. Vermeil and Ewbank by year 3. Landry by year 10, but he had Don Meredith in place going into the SB era.

The rule here is if a HC does not win in year 1, doesn't have a QB in place by year 2, and doesn't have a top of the league defense with defensive leaders set by the end of year 2, then you dump them and move on.

Rhule has 2 losing seasons under his belt, has yet to find his QB, and has yet to find his defensive leaders to build around. It's not going to happen, and there is no reason to keep him short of a miracle SB winning season. He should already be fired if the franchise is serious about winning championships.

SB winning coaches and QBs don't take 3 years to be championship contenders.

• Beer 1