• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 NFL Draft

Stuart Smith

image.png.5dda16f4da80260db341173dcbe127f7.png

Through five games Mayer is averaging a TD and 70 yards.  He had a hundred yard game versus BYU.  This is the cog our offense needs.  OBVIOUSLY we need steady QB play, but average QBs need a reliable TE, not just reliable, but a serious threat in the passing game.

Edited by 45catfan

19 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

image.png.5dda16f4da80260db341173dcbe127f7.png

Through five games Mayer is averaging a TD and 70 yards.  He had a hundred yard game versus BYU.  This is the cog our offense needs.  OBVIOUSLY we need steady QB play, but average QBs need a reliable TE, not just reliable, but a serious threat in the passing game.

Mayer 1st and McCall 2nd?

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Mayer 1st and McCall 2nd?

That's my plan.  McCall will not get the hype to leap way up in the first round.  Dude is just a hard hat and lunch pail type of guy. My only fear is a team with mediocre QB play may take a stab at him mid or late in the round, like the Patriots.  So there's a calculated risk waiting until round 2.  But I think Mayer is a generational TE.  I know there are certain positions that typically don't get drafted high, but even so, when a generational talent comes along you don't pass them up just because that position is considered not worth that lucrative of draft capital.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

That's my plan.  McCall will not get the hype to leap way up in the first round.  Dude is just a hard hat and lunch pail type of guy. My only fear is a team with mediocre QB play may take a stab at him mid or late in the round, like the Patriots.  So there's a calculated risk waiting until round 2.  But I think Mayer is a generational TE.  I know there are certain positions that typically don't get drafted high, but even so, when a generational talent comes along you don't pass them up just because that position is considered not worth that lucrative of draft capital.

That GA TE is pretty legit too. The QB class is kind of deep this year. Hooker, Penix, Ward, or McCall should be available on the 2nd. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

That GA TE is pretty legit too. The QB class is kind of deep this year. Hooker, Penix, Ward, or McCall should be available on the 2nd. 

Yup, a deep class as most people thought, but not as top heavy as it once looked and that may work out to the Panther's advantage.  Stroud, Young and Levis are looking like the top 5 guys right now and there's a decent gap to the next tier as you pointed out, say at least 20 or so picks (as it stands now).  If we don't end up with a top 5 pick, there's no reason to reach.  Grab Mayer and get the QB in round 2.  Remember, we have Corral and really didn't get to see him much.  Drafting a first round QB essentially kicks Corral to the curb because you HAVE TO start him unless you are grooming him behind a savvy vet (not our situation).  Waiting until the second makes a competition and may the best man win.  That way we have TWO QBs on rookie deals to develop and can spend money elsewhere. 

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yup, a deep class as most people thought, but not as top heavy as it once looked and that may work out to the Panther's advantage.  Stroud, Young and Levis are looking like the top 5 guys right now and there's a decent gap to the next tier as you pointed out, say at least 20 or so picks (as it stands now).  If we don't end up with a top 5 pick, there's no reason to reach.  Grab Mayer and get the QB in round 2.  Remember, we have Corral and really didn't get to see him much.  Drafting a first round QB essentially kicks Corral to the curb because you HAVE TO start him unless you are grooming him behind a savvy vet (not our situation).  Waiting until the second makes a competition and may the best man win.  That way we have TWO QBs on rookie deals to develop and can spend money elsewhere. 

Yep. I believe Hurts was a 2nd rounder for the Eagles and they built a solid roster around him plus run an offense that plays to his strengths. I could see us doing the same and possibly getting their OC as our next coach. I’m still high on Cameron Ward who might be hanging around early 2nd round for us. 

• Beer 1

26 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yep. I believe Hurts was a 2nd rounder for the Eagles and they built a solid roster around him plus run an offense that plays to his strengths. I could see us doing the same and possibly getting their OC as our next coach. I’m still high on Cameron Ward who might be hanging around early 2nd round for us. 

Hurts was a 2nd and it took it him a bit longer to develop, but he was considered a project with potential that could be a franchise QB.  A first rounder, especially top 5 IS a franchise QB and is expected to be the savior of the franchise right away.  Had Hurts been a first rounder, he'd been considered a borderline bust up until this season. 

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, stbugs said:

You guys might want to look at 1st round QBs. I just did in another thread and Hurts is the only starting QB selected in the 2nd round in the past 8 drafts. Mills is the only 3rd rounder starting and Dak is the only 4th rounder starting (when healthy) from the past 8 drafts. Those odds are pretty damn poor.

No chance I would take a TE top 5ish and skimp on QB. That’s how you become the Kyle Brady led Jets.

Yeah you have the Lamar Jacksons and Aaron Rodgers dropping to the bottom of the first. If we are picking at 33, is there much difference? 
If we can’t land Stroud or possibly Levis then I think we are picking too high for a lot of these QBs. A trade down is possible as well I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

With our first four picks, we HAVE to come away with QB, TE, ILB and RB.  The only negotiable position is RB, that could be DE instead.  We need our defensive general, so Mike LB is imperative.  If anyone questions that we need a TE at this point, they are essentially blind.  QB?  Well..blind, dumb and probably has never seen a snap of football in their life if anyone thinks that's not a need for the Panthers.