• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Martinook Placed On Waivers

MillionDollarCam

This deserves its’ own thread because wow… was not expecting that.

Current Roster

Teravainen - Aho - Jarvis

Svechnikov - Kotkaniemi - Necas

Stastny - Staal - Fast

Drury - Stepan - Kase

Noesen

Slavin - Burns

Skjei - Pesce

de Haan - Coghlan

Chatfield

Bear

Andersen

Raanta

Injured - Paccioretty, Gardiner

Edited by MillionDollarCam

9 minutes ago, panthers81 said:

Marty is just that...a piece that works for our team. I don't see any other team claiming him. Think they're protecting Drury?

Drury is exempt from waivers because he’s on his ELC but I think that at this point he doesn’t get better by going back to the AHL, needs to playing with the big boys. Kind of similar to how we didn’t send Jarvis back to juniors (wasn’t eligible for the AHL due to his age), it wouldn’t have done anything for him.

I think Noesen is the one being protected, he scored 48 goals in the AHL last year and would likely get claimed due to his low salary if he was to be placed on waivers.

45 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

Aren't getting enough value that they think Bear should bring is my opinion.

Still, it's the right decision given the circumstances.  We cannot allow Noesen to hit waivers because we will lose him for nothing and he's 1.) Better than Marty and 2.) Younger than Marty.

Think you are right about Bear.

Great article by Lavalette explaining the situation, it’s a must read for Canes fans trying to figure out what’s going on.

https://nsjonline.com/article/2022/10/jordan-martinook-on-waivers-what-are-the-hurricanes-doing-this/

Essentially, the Canes need to get cap compliant and Martinook’s salary helps them do that, the Canes also feel that Marty won’t be claimed because his contract his backloaded.

Waiving Drury or Jarvis does nothing for us cap wise (both are waivers exempt) and Noesen, Chatfield, or Bear were likely to be claimed.

Waiving Martinook allows the Canes to sign Stepan, get the guys on IR that need to be on IR, and then wait out the market for Bear.

Corey seems to suggest that as soon as Bear is gone that Marty will be back up (assuming he clears) and that the Canes won’t even ask him to report to Chicago if he makes it through.

But long story short, the Canes are prepared to wait out the market for Bear a little bit longer.

• Pie 1

Looking at this a little more, I think the plan is this:

1. Martinook waived, free’s up $1,800,000 in cap space.

2A. If he’s claimed, oh well… Gardiner goes to LTIR, Stepan gets signed, and the Canes hold on to Bear until they get what they want.

OR

2B. He’s not claimed and the Canes don’t have him report to Chicago but have effectively cleared $1,800,000 in salary.

3. Gardiner goes on LTIR freeing up $4,050,000 in salary, at this point the Canes would have just under $1.5M in cap space.

4. Stepan signs for $750K, at this point the Canes would have just under 700K in cap space.

5. The Canes trade Bear for a draft pick when they get exactly what they are asking for (I’m guessing a third), at this point the Canes would have around $2.8M in cap space.

6. Finally, the Canes recall Martinook adding $1.8M back to the cap. At this point the Canes would have $1M in cap space allowing them just enough room to call up players from the AHL should an injury occur.

This is kind of how I see it playing out.

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Looking at this a little more, I think the plan is this:

1. Martinook waived, free’s up $1,800,000 in cap space.

2A. If he’s claimed, oh well… Gardiner goes to LTIR, Stepan gets signed, and the Canes hold on to Bear until they get what they want.

OR

2B. He’s not claimed and the Canes don’t have him report to Chicago but have effectively cleared $1,800,000 in salary.

3. Gardiner goes on LTIR freeing up $4,050,000 in salary, at this point the Canes would have just under $1.5M in cap space.

4. Stepan signs for $750K, at this point the Canes would have just under 700K in cap space.

5. The Canes trade Bear for a draft pick when they get exactly what they are asking for (I’m guessing a third), at this point the Canes would have around $2.8M in cap space.

6. Finally, the Canes recall Martinook adding $1.8M back to the cap. At this point the Canes would have $1M in cap space allowing them just enough room to call up players from the AHL should an injury occur.

This is kind of how I see it playing out.

If he's not claimed it would only clear the maximum of 1.2M the other 600k you eat.

Canes still would be able to get Stepan in at 750K with Martinook off the books at $1,125,000 and Gardiner off the books at $4,050,000. That would leave 770K in cap space, and Stepan could slide in at 750K. Bear then gets moved out and frees up an additional $2.2M and then Marty is recalled and we’re back on the hook for his full hit.

Still would have around $1M, maybe a tad more for call-ups.

I imagine we’ll hear anytime between noon and 2:00PM wether or not Marty has cleared, the only two teams I’m worried about putting in a claim are Philadelphia, because their locker room is a mess and they could use a locker room guy, and Nashville, as Marty’s game seems to fit them perfectly.