• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Small claims court

cookinbrak

28 minutes ago, Fryfan said:

Weddings are big business and without knowing specifics I feel like you may be screwed with this, they postponed for you but I am sure the contract covered with postponing pricing and includeds could change.

Specifically says in contract no postponements so they breached contract  (imo). Then changed price nullified contract (imo). Then refused to provide things that were in contract if they agreed to move date. We will see what small claims says. If not we will just blow up negative reviews of her business and hopefully cost her more than 7000 dollars 

15 minutes ago, toldozer said:

Specifically says in contract no postponements so they breached contract  (imo). Then changed price nullified contract (imo). Then refused to provide things that were in contract if they agreed to move date. We will see what small claims says. If not we will just blow up negative reviews of her business and hopefully cost her more than 7000 dollars 

Yeah so they postponed on your request when the contract clearly stated they did not have to.  You are out of luck.

On 2/4/2023 at 4:35 AM, cardiackat88. said:

This is a great question and I was about to make a post pertaining to situation I am in.

Basically hired this total scumbag to come and do "work" at my house.

He charged and obnoxious amount and sent a very undetailed bill.

At one point, his employee asked me to pay 3K-5K with effing Venmo.

He is asking for about $3.5K but it just does not feel right.

I DID NOT sign ONE single document before or after this all started.

I'd immediately check to see if he has a business license, contractors license, insurance and anything else you would need to legitimately do whatever it is he's doing. I have a couple separate licenses outside of those I listed which is why I say that. If he's charging you T&M then demand a detailed breakdown in writing. If it's anything structural, electrical, or plumbing, I'd call in a licensed contractor just to verify it was done correctly. He's asking for Venmo so he doesn't have to report it. I'd be pretty comfortable saying this guy isn't licensed, bonded, or insured. 

You may end up in small claims court on this one. But where I am, if someone performs work over $1k without a state registered contractors license, you are only obligated to pay them $1k of whatever the bill is. This helps prevent some of these shady characters from setting up shop because the courts won't back them if they sue for non payment. 

For basic handyman type stuff, when I have free time to do it, I charge anywhere between $95 to $125 an hour plus material w/ markups. But I also bid jobs in entirety, not on an hourly basis. Any contractor worth a poo charging T&M has to provide a detailed invoice in order to get paid.  

2 hours ago, toldozer said:

I would expect any service contract to have a "force majeure" clause that would let you just walk.

Lots of contracts voided over COVID and lockdowns under that language.

5 hours ago, Cullenator said:

I would expect any service contract to have a "force majeure" clause that would let you just walk.

Lots of contracts voided over COVID and lockdowns under that language.

You would think.  If  she was out v any money I'd understand but she wasn't outsourcing anything and hadn't done anything for our event.  I get she would be out income and that sucks and I get it but we would happily have had the wedding there until she said oh the outdoor event space that was in your contract yeah I'm not going to have that