• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McCaffrey: Because, of course

Mr. Scot

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

But your logic of "I want Christian McCaffrey fans to be unhappy because Cam Newton fans were unhappy"

Never said that. Said keep the same energy for your favorite offensive players. Cam Newton and Christian McCaffrey are two offensive players who have touched the football for the Carolina Panthers a whole hell of a lot of times over the last several years. And you are one of the folks who has forever tied Cam Newton to his record as a starter the last 20 or so games while just putting a cover over what he accomplished before that. But hey at the end of the day that's fair in sports it's a what have you done for me lately league. And again that same energy extends to #22's time here. Just like it was best for Newton to move on it was best for him too.

So the big question from here for me is this. If the 49ers win it all we know for sure there will be some very loud and proud McCaffrey fans who will let us all know about it even though it will hurt our team (via the draft position of the picks from the trade). So will those fans be asked by folks like yourself to make the jump to a new team to follow their favorite player?

Tell Ashley Olsen GIF by Filmeditor

Edited by frankw

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

Never said that. Said keep the same energy for your favorite offensive players. Cam Newton and Christian McCaffrey are two offensive players who have touched the football for the Carolina Panthers a whole hell of a lot of times over the last several years. And you are one of the folks who has forever tied Cam Newton to his record as a starter the last 20 or so games while just putting a cover over what he accomplished before that. But hey at the end of the day that's fair in sports it's a what have you done for me lately league. And again that same energy extends to #22's time here. Just like it was best for Newton to move on it was best for him too.

So the big question from here for me is this. If the 49ers win it all we know for sure there will be some very loud and proud McCaffrey fans who will let us all know about it even though it will hurt our team (via the draft position of the picks from the trade). So will those fans be asked by folks like yourself to make the jump to a new team to follow their favorite player?

Some of them have already been asked to change teams, specifically by you.

And no, I don't tie any player to their team's win-loss record because as I've said repeatedly, teams win and teams lose. Win percentage is not a player stat, not even for quarterbacks.

And yes, you have wanted to see McCaffrey fans sad because of Newton. It's incredibly ignorant, but It's your thing, you've stuck with it and justified it over and over again.

You'd be smarter to just drop it.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Krovvy said:

He was considered the 'face of the franchise' at the time. It kind of comes with the territory.

There's a reason why he was considered the 'face of the franchise'...he was the closest thing to a superstar we had, and the most universally respected player across the league, media, etc.  So looking at a team coached by Matt Rhule and quarterbacked by guys like Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, PJ Walker, and Teddy Bridgewater, and singling out CMC like "that's the guy who shoulders the blame for our 5-win seasons" is just odd to me.  Whether intentional or not, you and frank are deflecting blame from the real culprits like Rhule who do warrant the brunt of criticism for these 5 win seasons.

It's interesting to see the shifting narrative about certain players.  If you like the player, then it's "we failed ________ and didn't put a good team around him".  If you dislike the player, then it's "look, we only won X number of games with _______ - he couldn't even put the entire team on his back and will the team to the playoffs by himself".

• Pie 4

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Some of them have already been asked to change teams, specifically by you.

And no, I don't tie any player to their team's win-loss record because as I've said repeatedly, teams win and teams lose. Win percentage is not a player stat, not even for quarterbacks.

And yes, you have wanted to see McCaffrey fans sad because of Newton. It's incredibly ignorant, but It's your thing, you've stuck with it and justified it over and over again.

You'd be smarter to just drop it.

No you aren't going to lay into me with these claims and then say you have always said it's a team sport. We both know that's not true Scot cut it out.

And they should be. McCaffrey fans are not Panthers fans. He is a 49er. When Newton became a New England Patriot the very same things were said here then too. And people who openly talked about his new team were asked to take it elsewhere. You are not keeping the same energy you and I both know it. But that's fine. That's your right.

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

No you aren't going to lay into me with these claims and then say you have always said it's a team sport. We both know that's not true Scot cut it out.

And they should be. McCaffrey fans are not Panthers fans. He is a 49er. When Newton became a New England Patriot the very same things were said here then too. And people who openly talked about his new team were asked to take it elsewhere. You are not keeping the same energy you and I both know it. But that's fine. That's your right.

Well you should have no trouble finding a quote to prove your point then.

It's pretty obvious you're bullsh-tting, but when you're defending a stupid argument that's probably all that's left.

12 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

There's a reason why he was considered the 'face of the franchise'...he was the closest thing to a superstar we had, and the most universally respected player across the league, media, etc.  So looking at a team coached by Matt Rhule and quarterbacked by guys like Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, PJ Walker, and Teddy Bridgewater, and singling out CMC like "that's the guy who shoulders the blame for our 5-win seasons" is just odd to me.  Whether intentional or not, you and frank are deflecting blame from the real culprits like Rhule who do warrant the brunt of criticism for these 5 win seasons.

It's interesting to see the shifting narrative about certain players.  If you like the player, then it's "we failed ________ and didn't put a good team around him".  If you dislike the player, then it's "look, we only won X number of games with _______ - he couldn't even put the entire team on his back and will the team to the playoffs by himself".

First off come on nobody is giving Rhule a pass the man is despised across the Carolinas. We also had 5 wins with Kyle Allen and CMC before Rhule got here. You can't make an RB the face of your franchise and expect to compete for championships. You don't put a good team around a running back you identify your QB and then you put a good team around that guy. We signed CMC to a historic deal with no quarterback. It sounds so ludicrous it bares repeating. We signed a running back to an historic deal before we even had a starting QB. Some fans wanted McCaffrey to be more than he was. They talked about him as if he were a quarterback. Well he wasn't. The 49ers are doing so well because they went out and got Jimmy Garropolo then they traded up for Lance and even after all that they still drafted Brock Purdy for due diligence. Meanwhile we had fans here who were about ready to have a parade when we signed McCaffrey to that contract extension. Well... reality bites.

5 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

You are right. Racism is racism. No need for a reverse moniker.

I've seen plenty of takes from you in the past downplaying legit examples so I'll just say your insinuation here rings hollow at best. Hiding behind Katt Williams is beneath you.

no idea wbout where the thread is, "racism" a guess.....love to see the NFL force some teams to sign white CBs....hell i think CMC could anyway.....

Im STILL hung up on this- Ben "im leaving getting fired and had no way to use CMC" Mccadoodo ruined this CMC deal.

so they traded the best player cause ben couldnt figure out how to use him and hes gone for 23??? just dumb. 

The injury deal was sus, he didnt come back cause for the same reasons Horn didnt play in week 18.....no need since no playoffs. Now got a bunch of late round picks for your best player, geeeeeez why would a HC agree to this??

3 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Yeah, that and we haven't had a quarterback, so who else would it be?

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

That logic would tie Cam Newton to a whole bunch of losing seasons.

You wanna stick with that? 🤔

You misunderstand me. What I'm saying is that's exactly what people do, when you're the face of the franchise. Several people here hated Cam and made every loss his alone. 

Though speaking of our former MVP quarterback, I would much rather go back to those years. Winning division titles, making it to a Super Bowl, having a chance in every game. Those were some of the best years to be a Panther's fan. On the other hand, we have for the past five years been in the worst stretch in in this team's history.

Edited by Krovvy

28 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

You misunderstand me. What I'm saying is that's exactly what people do, when you're the face of the franchise. Several people here hated Cam and made every loss his alone. 

Though speaking of our former MVP quarterback, I would much rather go back to those years. Winning division titles, making it to a Super Bowl, having a chance in every game. Those were some of the best years to be a Panther's fan. On the other hand, we have for the past five years been in the worst stretch in in this team's history.

It's wrong either way. Winning and losing are a team stat.

As to the past five years, that's not on McCaffrey. It's primarily on the guy who bought the franchise, secondarily on the GM he left in too long and the dumbass coach they hired together.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's wrong either way. Winning and losing are a team stat.

As to the past five years, that's not on McCaffrey. It's primarily on the guy who bought the franchise, secondarily on the GM he left in too long and the dumbass coach they hired together.

It's not because of McCaffrey, but at the end of the day the team wasn't winning when he was here.

McCaffrey is great at breaking records, but he's expensive and his ground production readily replaced.