• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cost for Bears pick?

Martin

53 minutes ago, Varking said:

And to this:

They can offer the #2 pick in the draft plus something else. If they are that desperate they could offer the #2 pick and their second rounder. Then the Bears at 2 flip the #2 pick to the Colts for their #4 and their second rounder. 

The Bears would then be picking at:

4 - Will Anderson or Jalen Carter who they would have taken at #1, paid them less money than at #1 and picked up two more high end second round picks. If Stroud, Young and Levis go 1-3, what would somebody be willing to give up for Richardson as the last of the top end QB prospects in this draft? What would somebody be willing to give up to move to 4 to get the best defensive player in the draft? 

If the Bears play free agency correctly they could be setting themselves up in a poor division to really push themselves to the top over the next year or two and have a ton of young talent coming in and still have a healthy cap situation. 

This would make Arizona the trade partner to get ahead of Indy. However, depending on who is left, Seahawks might still be the spot.

15 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

I think trading up to #5 with the seahawks is far more realistic. Fitter still has ties to that front office, and it'll put us in the perfect spot to select Stroud or Young when the Colts or the Texans fall for the Levis hype train that'll build up during the combine and his pro day. I think we could get to #5 with only giving up #9 and our 2nd and 3rd round picks from the 49ers. Would then probably need to trade down from our 1st 2nd round pick to recoup some draft capital after. 

Ideal scenario and an extremely stressful draft night 😂

17 hours ago, Shocker said:

If the Panthers were at #1 I would take Young.  That is just my opinion.  Young will very quickly become one of the best players in the NFL.  

100% agree, Young has a lot of traits that transform well to the NFL. His size is the only reason he isn't considered the top overall prospect in this class. 

7 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

100% agree, Young has a lot of traits that transform well to the NFL. His size is the only reason he isn't considered the top overall prospect in this class. 

And size should be a major concern. It’s not like we are debating a kid who is 6’2 220 vs a kid who is 6’5 240. Young is both short and light for a QB. A lot of folks believe a QB who weighs less than 200 pounds is subject to higher risk for injury. 

1 hour ago, Varking said:

And size should be a major concern. It’s not like we are debating a kid who is 6’2 220 vs a kid who is 6’5 240. Young is both short and light for a QB. A lot of folks believe a QB who weighs less than 200 pounds is subject to higher risk for injury. 

No doubt it has to be considered. Like I said if not for that concern he would no doubt be the #1 overall prospect. His ability to feel pressure, move up in or around in the pocket, his ability to make off script plays, and his ability to avoid the big hits (in college) at least still make him an intriguing prospect. His traits are really good, its just that frame that is scary. Back against the wall with the #1 pick needing a QB I take him. 

7 hours ago, Varking said:

I keep saying this but if we want to move up to 1 without absolutely giving up three first rounders we need to root for the Bears to win free agency. I think right now they have no desire to drop further than 5 or 6 without massive free agent moves. Their coach is a defense guy who is missing the two most important pieces of his defense: A DT and a De.

Carter and Anderson are their ideal targets. However, the Bears have close to 100 million in cap space with no further changes to their roster. The Falcons are #2 with about 56 million in cap space. 

The Bears top Free Agent Targets would be:

Javon Hargrave - DT 

Eclipsed 10 sacks from the DT spot last year. Would likely be closer to the 7.5 he had the year before but this is a massive upgrade to the Bears D-line and team as a whole. The Bears had the fewest amount of sacks in the NFL. They had 20. 7 of the Bears 20 sacks came from the DLine and one of those came from Quinn who they traded away. So getting Hargrave, even if he reverts to 7.5 sacks this year, gives them more sacks from DT than they had as a team across the entire line. The Eagles have a bunch of decisions to make around contracts and Hargrave who had one breakeout year may be a guy they have to let walk away. The Eagles had 70 sacks last year and might feel it’s ok to let him walk. 

Daron Payne - DT

Had 11.5 sacks this past year and is very young. In a similar situation as Hargrave. He is much younger but Washington is already paying big money to two guys on their defensive line and they have the Chase Young contract coming up, too. Payne may have to be the casualty there and Washington would hope Payne put up his stats because of the guys around him. 

The Bears would be getting two players at the most difficult position to generate sacks from on defense that would have more sacks combined than their entire team had last season. This changes how long you are asking the young secondary to cover and it frees up the linebackers to do more damage. Basically, these two alone would help the Bears get closer to the 18 points a game they were giving up early on in the season which would keep them in every game.

Yannic Ngakoue - DE

He has never had less than 8 sacks in a season but is a liability in the run game. You hate to hear it but he’s something above a poor mans version of Brian Burns. But he also won’t require you to break the bank. 

The Bears are developing a young lad on the line as their other DE. This spends roughly 65 million of that 90 they have which puts them round 25 million left and would only have like 9 teams with more cap space left still. This completely revamps the line and affords you the luxury to still pick Carter or Anderson as a luxury or it allows you the luxury of just trading the #1 for the most amount of value and you would be more willing to drop further in this draft. 

This is really the only scenario where we don’t get baited into giving up three firsts and a couple seconds to move up to 1. If they Bears don’t get a free agency revamp on their dline there is no way they are willing to drop to 9 and miss out on Anderson and Carter. 

All the more reason why (sorry to keep going back to this) we consider trading Burns--who will also need to paid--who they'd probably rather have than a rookie or other FAs. It would hurt to lose him, but we have a much better track record of securing disruptive defenders than QBs. We know he's worth 2 #1s. Send him and the 2024 #1, plus maybe a couple 2nds. 

On 1/27/2023 at 8:54 PM, Shocker said:

I am seriously very concerned about us at #9.  It feels like there is a drop off after pick 7 IMO and we could be sitting there with no way to move up and no way to move back.  If Chicago won’t deal I am calling Arizona already as well.  We need to spend picks and move up badly.

I guess if we are sitting at 9 we could take Mayer but damn…not loving the options there.

I have decided I don’t want AR15.  Just don’t 

I am convinced the top 3 QBs are gone by pick 6

I like ke the tight end for Georgia too. He’s a hoss.