• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Tight End question

Mr. Scot

On 2/25/2023 at 8:03 AM, MHS831 said:

Here is how I see it---draft players that are expensive--QBs, for example.  In free agency, sign the players that are not that expensive.

That way, at expensive positions you have a percentage of players on rookie deals, and you are not overpaying for veterans.

If QBs are $40m and I can have one on the roster for an average of $8m over 5 years, then it is better than having a rookie TE for 5 years at an average salary of $7m when the TE vets make $12m.

Snl-no-math GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Good point. Not sure rookie TEs make that much but it doesn’t matter. People talk about cap being a myth but I don’t see us doling out these monster FA deals. Doing smart drafting and value FAs can allow you to make that one or two extra FA splashes when you need that one or two guys to be a SB contender. Smart drafting is knowing the strengths of the drafts which can also lead you to getting better value for your picks like getting a WR in the 2nd that might have gone in the 1st another less deep year. That also saves cap based on the rookie contract scale.

Look Here Reaction GIF by Paul McCartney

With a loaded draft class the free agency tight ends may have some bargains. 

I think the Cowboys hold onto Dalton Shultz.  Engram has delusions of grandeur that will keep him from signing a mid tier cheap contract. 

But there are options. 

1. Gesicki was one of my favorite prospects in recent drafts and hoped we would draft him. We could try and sign him. 

2. Hayden Hurst could come right in and be the number 1 TE and give some vet leadership to Tremble. This combo would be solid all around blocking and receiving. 

3.  OJ Howard was supposed to be some kinda blocking beast out of college and never lived up to his draft position but with some coaching could he?

4. Foster Moruoe. Excuse me I misspelled his last name that Louisianan stuff is tricky. With Darren Waller around he never had much of a shot for targets. He could be cheap and believe or not productive for us. 

No need to draft a tight end it's a luxury pick we can't afford.