• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Tight End question

Mr. Scot

From Mike Kaye...

Daniel Jeremiah thinks the depth of this year's rookie TE class might make teams less likely to spend big money on a veteran guy, which at least conceivably could make veteran TE prices go down.

If you're hoping to see a new tight end option join the Panthers offense this year, would you rather wait and try to pick up a vet cheap down the road or just go ahead and look into that deep rookie class and find your guy there?

• Beer 1

If the top QBs that we are really interested in are gone by our pick (barring a trade up), I wouldn't mind a trade back to acquire an extra second if possible, grab a top TE prospect and a highly ranked WR. Later in the draft, I wouldn't mind grabbing a 2nd TE like Schoonmaker if he's available in later rounds. Any QB we have is going to need that safety net. Tremble was always a receiving project, and Thomas is well, Thomas. I realize we have several needs and getting 2 TE's might be a bit much, but we have missed Greg since he retired and having that Kelce, Olson, Gronk type weapon(s) has shown to be a very big part of the best NFL offenses. At one point, the Gronk/Hernandez duo terrorized the AFC. I'm not saying we should try to repeat that necessarily, just pointing out that having 2 legitimate threats at TE could be quite beneficial for a young QB. 

I think it depends more on the staff and how they use the TEs. Ian Thomas has been through 2 regimes and hasn't shown anything, he sucks. Tremble I think has potential and would like to see how he is used with this staff, scouting reports compared him to a poor mans Kittle. Good quality TE's don't make it to free agency, look at the history of TE's who signed with new teams, they hardly live up to their contract.  

Of 32 NFL teams, only Kelce and Kittle are the top tier players, it's hard to find a legit TE.