• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Ellis on Stroud v Young

TheSpecialJuan

22 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Stroud “struggled” with pressure earlier in the season. His rating under pressure still isn’t terrible it’s just a good bit lower than his highest in the NCAA rating when he has a pocket. In fact his overall rating was the highest in the NCAA even including the under pressure rating. Later in the season when he actually got accustomed to having some pressure he did much better, just check out the UGA game. 

he couldnt beat michigan to save his life let alone the georgia game where he lost w 2 top 10 wide recievers and first rounders on o line, 2021 bryce had that and smoked georgia 41-24 ended the game in victory formation too

22 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I mean technically you could also argue that yes, Stroud threw to two 'top 11' WRs in 2021, but his stats didn't fall off very much in 2022 when they left. 

It wasn't a case of Clausen at Notre Dame being carried by Golden Tate and Michael Floyd (and Kyle Rudolph). 

And yes, I know he's still throwing to a talented cast. 

his wide recievers never left bro wdym kid has a top 5 overall pick wr marvin harrison jr and njigba whos top 3 reciever and couldnt even beat his rivals michigan to save his life

7 minutes ago, gibran said:

he was throwing to slay boden at the pro day dude runs a 4.66 and was a safety a year ago and will not be drafted, just cause its bama doesnt mean you can assume their good especially with all the NIL poo going on, watch a game before assuming. 2021 was a different story he had jameson williams and won the heisman/sec championship following year was not the same and yes it was a hollowed out roster. cj has two top 10 recievers and couldnt get it done i dont know why yall are acting like this is a shock

5 minutes ago, gibran said:

slim chance cj stroud balls on the texans im willing to believe they dont even take a qb if cj falls to them. bryce could ball anywhere hes more watson than anyone else

3 minutes ago, gibran said:

to be fair bryce young kept himself more healthy than cj and will levis in college and tua is a terrible comparison kid has an actual compilation of injuries from college none of them had to do with size 

So are you a Bama fan or do you just follow them loosely? Please just cop to it at least the OSU homers here are upfront. It's funny I've yet to see one admitted Alabama fan in weeks but Bryce Young superfans are crawling out of the woodwork.

Bryce is in rarefied air as far as his build in the NFL. There's a reason fellas are clinging to Brees and Wilson. Later in his career Brees did nothing but statpad and Wilson has already gotten a head coach fired on his new team. The only other one you could mention is Kyler Murray and I do enjoy how you pro Young guys don't want any parts of that one now. Convenient.

Anywho the negatives for Stroud are how will he react to NFL pressure and how quickly will he process all that. Based on what I know of his character and him as a person I have no doubt he will be committed to soaking up everything the coaching staff throws at him. He has the pocket presence the accuracy and he can make the throws. If they think they can coach him up make the pick. Moving to Bryce Young if he's the pick there's some stipulations you need to get out of the way first. Foremost you need to keep investing big in your OL depth. Two you do not want him taking hits in the pocket or scrambling much. But that's his game isn't it? Well if you want him available through a 17 game season that's largely out the window. He's going to have to adjust his game to withstand the rigors of a full season. He played against some big boys in the SEC but this is a new level. And even in the SEC he got his shoulder banged up. You have to acknowledge these concerns and act accordingly.

• Pie 1

21 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

Everyone and their dog has seen that Georgia game 1000 times. If that’s the Stroud we’re getting then yes, I’m taking him over Young but is that who we’re getting? 

There are 2-3 times each game he uses his legs and makes plays. If he ever started doing that consistently then oh boy 

kid couldnt beat michigan either year to save his damn life idk why georgia game is even considered he lost that 

Charles Johnson is one of my all time favorite Panthers but who is asking him which QB to draft? With that logic let's ask Julius Peppers what he thinks.

Steve Smith is a hell of a player and our best receiver in history but who knows about his ability as an evaluator. He raved about DJ Moore we know that. Evaluation abilities undetermined at best.

23 minutes ago, gibran said:

he couldnt beat michigan to save his life let alone the georgia game where he lost w 2 top 10 wide recievers and first rounders on o line, 2021 bryce had that and smoked georgia 41-24 ended the game in victory formation too

Young was the first Bama QB in a minute without a championship. Hell he even missed the entire playoffs last year. Squeaked by Texas… See how dumb this looks. It’s a team game and anyone blaming Stroud for the UGA loss has a definite agenda.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Puresteel55 said:

When a play breaks down and Young tries to “make a play” is when he gets blindsided like Romanowski did to Collins and Watt did to Cam…and they were BIG men comparatively. 
Brees was a pocket passer and had a long career. Cam was a “playmaker” and had a relatively short career. BIG “playmaker” - short career. SMALL “pocket passer” -long career.

Young is a SMALL “playmaker” = Recipe for disaster and very short career.

Stroud is a BIG pocket passer = potentially very long career.

Agreed that Stroud needs to be a LITTLE more of a “playmaker” and use his legs a bit more and that can be taught.

physical limitations that can not be overcome will make it very difficult for Young to be effective from the pocket.

crazy cause watt said it himself that bryce youngs size is not a factor https://twitter.com/JohnHCrumpler/status/1636801682347524110?s=20

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

Charles Johnson is one of my all time favorite Panthers but who is asking him which QB to draft? With that logic let's ask Julius Peppers what he thinks.

Steve Smith is a hell of a player and our best receiver in history but who knows about his ability as an evaluator. He raved about DJ Moore we know that. Evaluation abilities undetermined at best.

I wouldn't hold DJ against him. He was a good receiver for us while we trotted out trash QB after trash QB and then proved to be a pivotal piece of the trade that got us the #1 overall pick. Now he's WR1 for another franchise.

Hell, he was right about DJ.

• Beer 2