• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chinn confirms he'll be playing more LB (closer to the line)

B_Eazi

18 hours ago, csx said:

Playing big nickel he will have a huge role. I think we are making to much of the need for another linebacker who won't see the field much regardless 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2022/2021-defensive-personnel-cowboys-and-bills-abandon-base

We saw a new high-water mark for nickel defense in 2021, with defenses coming out with five defensive backs on 61.4% of all snaps. Base defenses are now used on less than a quarter of all plays,

Also worth noting that he's been talking to Coach Cooley, the CB/secondary coach about his role, not the LB or safeties coaches. He's not going to be sitting on the bench, they'll figure out how to get him on the field.

17 hours ago, OldhamA said:

He's always looked sensational when playing closer to the line - I thought we had a perennial All-Pro on our hands halfway through his rookie season.

Hopefully the new DC unlocks his incredible talent again - even on that little highlights reel they put together on the segment you saw multiple sacks (and none of them were the back-to-back defensive TDs he had). He's just a playmaker closer to the line.

And yet he was one of only 4 safeties that wasn't scored on last year. Interesting fact. BTW, I still agree that he's best when closer to the line.

I see that it's been mentioned by a few, but just to echo the fluidity of our personnel in and out to keep offenses guessing.

It's not like we're running a strict 3-4 every play. Lots of disguising, sub packages and movement will be in play. This is where Evero and Wash will combine to offer variations of odd-man fronts and three safeties.

Chinn might not fit as an every down 3-4 backer, but his presence will be that of a chameleon that offenses will have to account for as a spy, a threat in the box to stop the run and out in space making sure TEs and RBs aren't beating us. 

I'm excited to see what this staff does with him.