• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign recently unretired NT John Penisini

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

From the archives

8LoejpP.png

His parents said, "Let's give him a name that will cause him to fight his way through school."  Reminds me of a NASCAR driver named Dick Trickle.  Who does that to a lad? 

20 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Does this suggest that Tuttle will not play Nose tackle for the Panthers?  I mean, on the roster we have Penisini, McCall, Roy, and Tuttle slated to play 1 position (NT).  We have Brown, Anderson, and Williams slated to play the 2 DE positions.  Is it possible that the Panthers want to move Tuttle to DE and will let Penisini and McCall (Roy to PS?) handle the NT duties?  I think that is the plan-

I dont think it matters that much who is the main NT. We have a few beefy boys that could play NT and DE. 

LE: DeShawn Williams - Henry Anderson
NT: Shy Tuttle - John Penisini - Marquan McCall
RE: Derrick Brown - Bravvion Roy 

With both Brown and Roy over 320 plus, I think we are good. If one of these guys plays NT better, Tuttle can easily go to DE. We can also easily flip Brown and Tuttle if needed.

Edited by KillerKat
  • Pie 1

20 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Does this suggest that Tuttle will not play Nose tackle for the Panthers?  I mean, on the roster we have Penisini, McCall, Roy, and Tuttle slated to play 1 position (NT).  We have Brown, Anderson, and Williams slated to play the 2 DE positions.  Is it possible that the Panthers want to move Tuttle to DE and will let Penisini and McCall (Roy to PS?) handle the NT duties?  I think that is the plan-

I'm not sure I'd read too much into it. We're talking about a former 6th round pick who last played 2 years ago. We targeted Tuttle early and gave him a decent sized contract. I still think he's the starting NT. Not to mention, McCall and Roy are basically fringe roster guys. More likely that Penisini is bringing brought in as a low risk potential upgrade as the primary backup. Or even to serve as a rotational guy on run defense packages with Tuttle shifted to DE for select plays.

Honestly if we're planning on going into the season with Penisini, Roy and McCall battling it out to be the starting DT, that'd be a pretty glaring weakness on the team.

31 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Honestly if we're planning on going into the season with Penisini, Roy and McCall battling it out to be the starting DT, that'd be a pretty glaring weakness on the team.

Not really. NT is just taking up blockers, eating space. It would be good to have a rotation and give the previous guy rest. They are over 320-330 after all.