• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Th 6’2 prototypical QB is a myth, look at the shotgun percentages

TheBigKat

5 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Some.  But no more than  PJ's.  I don't remember the huddle going apeshlt over PJ's size as much as we were concerned about his play.   Corral, was the one out for the season, not PJ.

Besides its been discussed adnauseam here.  The only studies we could find say the exact opposite.  The larger the QB, the MORE likely they get hurt.  Ask PJ and Corral.

Who gives af about PJ we didn't draft him #1 overall and give up our top WR and another first in the process.

Folks can choose to believe in BY. I believe in him. But the reality is this is a very big gamble.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

No, we traded up for Matt Corral, who didn't  make it through preseason.

It really is convenient when you leave out the fact that Corall was playing behind an Oline made up of players who will never see a meaningful snap in the NFL.

Bryce will never come close to having to play behind that Oline. smh

• Pie 1

Just now, pantherj said:

I wasn't concerned about PJ's size because it was PJ. Not much was expected, and really didn't think he would be on the team beyond last season.

I don't see the size discussion going away anytime soon, but yes I would like to have new information on the subject of QB size linked to injury.

Well its on here. MHS I think posted it.  Showed injury rate by size, by position.  The trend lines were clear and largely consistent.  Ladypanther recently posted an article about optimal sizing, implying that larger mass can lead to injury.

Look at our own experience.  Cam, Corral, vs Wilson or Brees.

There's no guarantees with injuries. 

Sam Mills, was small for a LB, at 5'9.
Smitty was small for WR at 5.9.

Both shorter than Young and played positions with a much higher injury rate than QB requiring much more contact.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

It really is convenient when you leave out the fact that Corall was playing behind an Oline made up of players who will never see a meaningful snap in the NFL.

Bryce will never come close to having to play behind that Oline. smh

You mean the same 4th string line PJ played behind?

22 minutes ago, Mike in Raleigh said:

I'm old enough to remember people complaining that Steve Smith was too short to be a WR.

I was one of those people which is why I now tend to trust the coaches & FO until given reasons not to.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

Who gives af about PJ we didn't draft him #1 overall and give up our top WR and another first in the process.

Folks can choose to believe in BY. I believe in him. But the reality is this is a very big gamble.

trading up for #1 is a big gamble.  But we're doing it to circumvent not having the same QB problems since the @ Pitt game in 2018. We're doing it to get the literal consensus best player AND QB in the draft. 

The gamble being all about size to some when we have literally any examples in sports to show us that size can be overcome is just tired and if people want to be negative about us finally solving our biggest problem/the biggest issue in not running our division, it just comes off desperate to cling to negativity--which for me just straight up isn't why I watch football. 

Having some hesitation is fine. Yes, we took a big gamble.  Thank everything under the moon and stars we finally had the nuts to do it. That some people are screaming negativity into the abyss that we finally did what was necessary to fix the biggest problem NFL teams face is their prerogative but at this point, especially on this day, it also screams "I celebrate/am positive about literally nothing" which is at least in my personal opinion, the most outright garbage sports fan to interact with and it's not remotely close. 

Have some fun or go sit in a corner by yourself and pout.  But scratching, kicking and clawing to get the rest of us to share in taking a dump on the party is not gonna work.  I'm as excited as I've been in the near 30 years we've fielded a team--as are tons of the rest of us. Because it's why we're all here.

The prospect of being in the same boat as other NFC South teams fans/other NFL teams fans trying to scream "i told you so" to us about and or rooting for Bryce to fail is like downright vomit worthy to me.  But I'm a PSL holder who grew up as a small dude in that stadium with a chip on my shoulder yelling at all the fans that thought they could come in and take over our stadium.  So from that perspective, anyone who claims to be a Panther fan that's gonna be yelling along with fans of other teams negative sh about the guy we've chosen to lead us---keep crying. Join them if you want.  The rest of us we'll inevitably do what we're here to do.  Have hope and Keep Pounding.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, backINblack28 said:

trading up for #1 is a big gamble.  But we're doing it to circumvent not having the same QB problems since the @ Pitt game in 2018. We're doing it to get the literal consensus best player AND QB in the draft. 

The gamble being all about size to some when we have literally any examples in sports to show us that size can be overcome is just tired and if people want to be negative about us finally solving our biggest problem/the biggest issue in not running our division, it just comes off desperate to cling to negativity--which for me just straight up isn't why I watch football. 

Having some hesitation is fine. Yes, we took a big gamble.  Thank everything under the moon and stars we finally had the nuts to do it. That some people are screaming negativity into the abyss that we finally did what was necessary to fix the biggest problem NFL teams face is their prerogative but at this point, especially on this day, it also screams "I celebrate/am positive about literally nothing" which is at least in my personal opinion, the most outright garbage sports fan to interact with and it's not remotely close. 

Have some fun or go sit in a corner by yourself and pout.  But scratching, kicking and clawing to get the rest of us to share in taking a dump on the party is not gonna work.  I'm as excited as I've been in the near 30 years we've fielded a team--as are tons of the rest of us. Because it's why we're all here.

The prospect of being in the same boat as other NFC South teams fans/other NFL teams fans trying to scream "i told you so" to us about and or rooting for Bryce to fail is like downright vomit worthy to me.  But I'm a PSL holder who grew up as a small dude in that stadium with a chip on my shoulder yelling at all the fans that thought they could come in and take over our stadium.  So from that perspective, anyone who claims to be a Panther fan that's gonna be yelling along with fans of other teams negative sh about the guy we've chosen to lead us---keep crying. Join them if you want.  The rest of us we'll inevitably do what we're here to do.  Have hope and Keep Pounding.

Only maybe two or three people here are going to be sitting around pouting about Bryce Young as the pick. I'm not one of them.

But that doesn't mean rational folks can't acknowledge the facts of the situation.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 2