• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any gun collectors?

jasonluckydog

20 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

But if its not an Assault Rifle without that one attribute, if you take that away it ceases to be an AR.  Therefore banning that aspect is a de-facto ban on the weapon classification.

You can make an AR with a fixed lower capacity magazine. That's my point. Focus on the features that actually matter. 

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You can make an AR with a fixed lower capacity magazine. That's my point. Focus on the features that actually matter. 

That's all I'm focused on.  The detachable magazine.  Its universally listed as a (not the, but a) defining characteristic of an AR.

If its a 5 round fixed magazine regardless of the recoil mechanism, the size or power of the round, the length of the barrel, the shroud, any rails, and a threaded barrel it ceases to be an AR by any of the standard definitions.

5 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

That's all I'm focused on.  The detachable magazine.  Its universally listed as a (not the, but a) defining characteristic of an AR.

If its a 5 round fixed magazine regardless of the recoil mechanism, the size or power of the round, the length of the barrel, the shroud, any rails, and a threaded barrel it ceases to be an AR by any of the standard definitions.

Cool. So drop all the other stuff from the list of features to ban and we agree.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You can retrofit an AR to have a fixed five round mag.

At which point is ceases to meat the definition of an AR.  Retrofit any AR and bingo-bango no more AR

We are actually agreeing even if you cant bring yourself to say it.

6 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

At which point is ceases to meat the definition of an AR.  Retrofit any AR and bingo-bango no more AR

We are actually agreeing even if you cant bring yourself to say it.

We're not though. You're just hinging your entire definition on one specific feature to ignore everything else they want to ban. There are already commercially available solutions for this in the handful of states with regulations requiring it with the anticipation of more likely to follow.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We're not though. You're just hinging your entire definition on one specific feature to ignore everything else they want to ban. There are already commercially available solutions for this in the handful of states with regulations requiring it with the anticipation of more likely to follow.

Im simply working from the two most common definitions of the required qualities and in both cases that detachable magazine is pivotal.

If pulling that feature gets us a step forward and closer together on reform Ill take it.

Any carbine without a detachable magazine is simply not by definition an AR as we currently define them.  If that becomes the law of the land and then people want to take on folding stocks, pistol grips. forward grips, Picatinny rails, et. al. Ill fight those fights that make sense when I have to.

20 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

Im simply working from the two most common definitions of the required qualities and in both cases that detachable magazine is pivotal.

If pulling that feature gets us a step forward and closer together on reform Ill take it.

Any carbine without a detachable magazine is simply not by definition an AR as we currently define them.  If that becomes the law of the land and then people want to take on folding stocks, pistol grips. forward grips, Picatinny rails, et. al. Ill fight those fights that make sense when I have to.

Because you're talking about the working definition of an "assault rifle". I'm talking about an AR-15. They aren't one in the same.

• Pie 1