• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hit my goal

ladypanther

1 minute ago, ladypanther said:

Sure you can...lots of options for lessons.

Had a bad experience as a teen at the beach. Almost drowned!

From what I remember I was in chest high water and I made a step in what felt like a sinkhole. If my uncle wasn't nearby that probably would have the end for me. I was struggling to get back up for air. He grabbed me just in time. Ever since then I haven't felt the need to learn how to swim because I don't go more than waist deep water anymore.

Im 33 now lol.

On 5/12/2023 at 10:47 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

From what I remember I was in chest high water and I made a step in what felt like a sinkhole. If my uncle wasn't nearby that probably would have the end for me. I was struggling to get back up for air. He grabbed me just in time.

Pretty much the same exact thing happened to me when I was about 6 yo or so but I had a cousin who pulled me to safe ground - At first as I struggled they thought I was joking.  Scared the hell out of me.

Almost drowning because you don't  know how to tread water or just float is about as good a reason to learn as there can be.  Also if you are ever in the reverse situation you want to be able to help someone else if at all possible.

• Pie 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, toldozer said:

How long is the pool you swim in? I'm going to try to work my way up to 100 laps in my pool. Started yesterday and did 8 lol. 

It is 25 yds.  70.4 laps is a mile.  When I 1st started I could not complete an entire lap.  My advice, be patient.  Set small goals and over time you will have made a lot of progress.

3 hours ago, ladypanther said:

It is 25 yds.  70.4 laps is a mile.  When I 1st started I could not complete an entire lap.  My advice, be patient.  Set small goals and over time you will have made a lot of progress.

So right now my plan is to work my way to 100 laps total in a session with breaks as often as needed. my pool would be a little more than 25 yards (40 feet each way). Then once I'm able to complete 100 laps with breaks I'm going to work towards doing 100 consecutive laps. I don't know if I'll get there in 4 months but we will see. I did 16 laps today, was in the pool for about an hour. Basically 2 or 3 laps at a time with long breaks in between. My biggest problem is I don't know how to turn lol

Edited by toldozer

6 minutes ago, toldozer said:

So right now my plan is to work my way to 100 laps total in a session with breaks as often as needed. my pool would be a little more than 25 yards (40 feet each way). Then once I'm able to complete 100 laps with breaks I'm going to work towards doing 100 consecutive laps. I don't know if I'll get there in 4 months but we will see. I did 16 laps today, was in the pool for about an hour. Basically 2 or 3 laps at a time with long breaks in between. My biggest problem is I don't know how to turn lol

I don't know how to turn either...I go down with freestyle stroke then I come back with backstroke (the latter really good for back muscles, which I need).  Down and back is 2 laps...50 yds in the pool I use. Being in the water and moving is a lot better than not!  Don't stress your muscles or joints too fast.  Listen to your body.  Be patient...you'll get there. 🏊‍♀️