• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Off-Season Thread

So Canes are sitting at $2.8M in cap space but if we acquire TDA then we basically have no cap space left.

It sounds like the Canes are still interested in Karlsson and if my numbers add up, one of Pesce or Skjei (probably Pesce because Skjei has a NTC) could be included in the deal to get it done cap wise. San Jose would have to retain 50%, another team would need to come in and take an additional 25%, and the Canes would get Karlsson with around a $3M cap hit. Canes would probably then turn around and ship whoever is left over from Pesce and Skjei for a forward.

Line-Up would be:

Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis

??? - Kotkaniemi - Necas

Bunting - Staal - Fast

Noesen - Martinook - Teravainen

Drury

Slavin - Burns

Orlov - Karlsson

Chatfield - TDA

Coghlan

Andersen

Raanta

Kochetkov

At that point the only thing needed would be a LH 7th defenseman who we could pick up on a PTO.

Bunting adds scoring to the team as well as some nastiness, which we can all agree we needed. 112 points and 46 goals over the last two seasons is nothing to sneeze at. Orlov improves the defense no matter who he replaces on the 2nd line and he gives the team some flexibility to go after karlsson and a goal scorer. 

Just now, DavidEng said:

Karlsson has 3 teams going after him, Penguins, Seattle, Canes. If Pesce goes I don’t see how the Canes can get him for the  ~7 mil in cap space we would have left without some creative wrangling to avoid cap limit.

It would be a complicated deal. 50% retained by San Jose and 25% retained by a third team. And from what I’ve seen it’s down to Pittsburgh or Carolina with Pittsburgh being the favorite.

Just my thought process.

If we don’t get Karlsson then you ride out Pesce’s contract this year. Regardless, Skjei gets moved cause you don’t pay Orlov to play on the third pairing.

So defensively I think we’re looking at:

Slavin - Burns

Orlov - Karlsson/Pesce

Chatfield - TDA

The 7th defenseman doesn’t really matter but maybe go pick up Marc Staal for cheap since he’s a lefty.

In moving Skjei, I think you attach picks and prospects to him to get a 30 goal scorer.

So my hypothetical team would be:

Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis

Trade - Kotkaniemi - Necas

Bunting - Staal - Fast

Noesen - Martinook - Teravainen

Drury

Slavin - Burns

Orlov - Karlsson/Pesce

Chatfield - TDA

Staal

Andersen

Raanta

Kochetkov

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

It would be a complicated deal. 50% retained by San Jose and 25% retained by a third team. And from what I’ve seen it’s down to Pittsburgh or Carolina with Pittsburgh being the favorite.

Yeah I’ve seen those tweets. Why would San Jose be willing to retain 50%? With 3 teams after him (or 2 depending on the speculator) I don’t think that’s gonna happen. Karlsson is a $11.5 mil AAV contract. Also saw a tweet that a deal isn’t  close so expect something in an hour haha.